Queen's Park 2017/18

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/12/2017 at 20:24, Velvet Donkey said:

Even just a sentence to update on the missing players would be better than the same text every week.

Fairly sure that Gus will be the problem here, if it is a problem.  He is notoriously secretive about injuries and signing / not signing / releasing players. He's been like that since he joined us.

So from this, Wullie Muir's absence is not an injury, or as Mick says, just not fit enough for inclusion in the squad?:

On the squad front the gaffer confirmed that midfielder Gregor Fotheringham is added to the squad, while long term casualties Ross Millen and Ewan MacPherson are joined on the side-lines by defender Scott Gibson who remains out of action having picked up an injury in the warm up of the Airdrie game a fortnight ago.

Decent offer to Thistle season ticket holders for the Stinlar game. Might be tempted as I enjoyed the cup game vs The Pars. All the best to the Spiders for 2018.

Queen’s Park

Although the Premiership shuts down for the first two weeks of January there is still plenty of football to be had as the other leagues continue with business as usual. So, to help our season ticket holders get their football fix during the winter break, we’ve teamed up with another Glasgow team – Queen’s Park – to offer the Jags faithful a top January bargain.

The Spiders will be offering a 30% discount on adult tickets for their match against Stranraer on Saturday January 6th meaning a ticket, usually £14, is just £10 when a valid PTFC season ticket is presented at the turnstiles.

The Doc's spirited battle continues...gloves off for the OF.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42528540
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42528545

The last 8 minutes of this podcast pretty much sums up the mob behind that poll (Scottish Football Supporters Association) pretty well .

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-terrace-scottish-football-podcast/id304936264?mt=2&i=1000397367992

“Ordinarily nobody would take much notice of what anybody from Queens Park would say but these are not ordinary times as debate about the national stadium continues.”

This was the line hastily "retracted" by the Scottish Football Supporters Association and then followed by a pathetic attempt to blame a volunteer. This probably isn't a view just taken towards Queen's Park, but towards most small clubs. They claim to represent "ALL" Scottish football fans, but I'm fairly certain that most, if not all, Queen's Park fans certainly neither feel represented, or indeed want to be represented by these jokers. Get it right up them, is basically what I'm getting at. 

“Ordinarily nobody would take much notice of what anybody from Queens Park would say but these are not ordinary times as debate about the national stadium continues.” This was the line hastily "retracted" by the Scottish Football Supporters Association and then followed by a pathetic attempt to blame a volunteer. This probably isn't a view just taken towards Queen's Park, but towards most small clubs. They claim to represent "ALL" Scottish football fans, but I'm fairly certain that most, if not all, Queen's Park fans certainly neither feel represented, or indeed want to be represented by these jokers. Get it right up them, is basically what I'm getting at. 

I see Pie and Bovril themselves have called SFSA out over this via Twitter and withdrawn support for them . [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Looking further into the nonsense survey that was done by the national convention of Yer Da’s.

The “only 15% of people surveyed wanted to stay at Hampden” is misleading when 26% voted for a new Hampden, an option that is not on the table so shouldn’t be considered in their survey.

Now I’m not saying that the whole of that 26% would fall into the stay at Hampden section but it needs to be said that the number would increase.

45 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The chat will move along to what Gus and his scouts can maybe bring to the party over the next few weeks in terms of short-term loans etc. Is there any young ambitious players in our squad likely to go in the other direction though?

No, as they under contract to the end of the season. Anyone Gus wants to keep will be here until May whether they like it or not.

As always, we’re at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to getting players in. You’ll tend to see a few guys moving from part-time club to part-time and still pick up some pocket money for doing so. Ally Love, for example, away to Clyde from Brechin. Every other team in the league, Stranraer and us aside, will be in that market.

It’s very much the lottery of the loan deal for us. Guys can look good in 20s games, but they just might not adapt as quickly as we need them to at league level. We could win a watch like we did with Brophy, but you never truly know what you’re getting until they actually play.

Give them the chance rather than develop other teams youngsters like we are doing with Robbie Leitch fro St Mirren. Its a huge bug bearer of mine, bring in a player who is better not one just to make up numbers. Leitch does that many stepovers he us going to trip himself up. Give ours a chance like we did with spittal, shankland and we might find another gem. 

1 hour ago, spider1867 said:

Give them the chance rather than develop other teams youngsters like we are doing with Robbie Leitch fro St Mirren. Its a huge bug bearer of mine, bring in a player who is better not one just to make up numbers. Leitch does that many stepovers he us going to trip himself up. Give ours a chance like we did with spittal, shankland and we might find another gem. 

As much as I would like to see another Shankland, Connolly etc, I'm pretty if there was a player with similar quality, he would already of been introduced to the team. I'm all for getting players on loans with Zanatta and Duggan playing pivotal roles in our recent success. Most of the loans Gus has brought in have been fairly successful with Jordan Moore probably being the only disappointment. 

2 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Overly harsh on Leitch, who has done ok since coming in imo. Certainly flashes of a player in there. Even young full-time loan players need time to adapt. Anyone in mind from the Under 20s and where they’d come into the team?

As you said Leitch has done okay, surely one of our 20s could do okay also. There have been some 20s on the bench lately but never seem to get any chance apart from mages at the back. Can we not take the risk and see if we can unearth a player. We will never know if we don't try. 

1 hour ago, spider1867 said:

As you said Leitch has done okay, surely one of our 20s could do okay also. There have been some 20s on the bench lately but never seem to get any chance apart from mages at the back. Can we not take the risk and see if we can unearth a player. We will never know if we don't try. 

It's a tricky one. Spiers was pilloried for having too many youngsters, Gus went the other way but it seems to have settled a bit in the middle. I think if we were comfortably numb in a mid-table position with 6 games to go (the dream is still alive) Gus would probably do as you say but at the moment it's all about survival. As raw as leitch might seem he's more experienced than our development guys. It's also a risk to burn out young guys too early. Magee had a handful of very good games but got stung in the Ayr game against the best attack in the league. Each person handles stress differently. He's had a break and I expect him to start again on Saturday.

There's also the angle of other clubs paying the wages and wanting their assets on view, either to develop or make some cash in a transfer.

As for stepovers, I remember a young laddie, Portuguese I think, who frustrated Alex Ferguson at Man U for a while when he kept tripping over his feet. The boy stuck with it though and did quite well for himself, and his clubs.

2 hours ago, spider1867 said:

The coaches and the manager constantly monitor the progress of the players. If it’s thought that they’re ready, they’ll brought into the team, just as Lewis Magee and Billy Mortimer have been. We blooded a good number during the Airdrie season and, well, let’s not even talk about that. 

Everyone wants better and everyone enjoys seeing players coming through the youth system, but it can’t be done as a wild shot in the dark. 

Archived