Queen's Park 2017/18

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played OK in the win up at Methil but can't say I'm been that impressed with what I've seen overall. However what happened to players staying and fighting for a place in the team? Is every dropped player just going to end up leaving before Christmas?  Of course, maybe Gus just decided he wasn't up to it. Sometimes you have to take a gamble on players from the Juniors, thankfully most of the signings Gus has made from there over the last  few years have done a decent job for us  

16 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Thanks Mick.

Maybe some opportunity for Gibson or Bailey to feature more?

Definitely have Gibby back. He's been the fall guy for years but hardly puts a foot wrong. Seems to be a constant debate between Cummins and Green but maybe the two of them need to sit it out. Of all the combinations we're really lacking a leader back there. Millen's trying but getting aggression and assertion mixed up. He's still young himself mind. I'd like to see Iredale step forward with Wharton (still my bet for a striker Mick) and Gibby either side. Couldn't be any worse, could it?

3 hours ago, jinky said:

Dont know why Gibby has hung about QP for so long...IMO hes very average and will only ever be a backup squad player.

He isn't a world beater but he's our only centre back who won't single handedly cost goals. 

23 minutes ago, qpfc said:

He isn't a world beater but he's our only centre back who won't single handedly cost goals. 

Well, he has his chance today. I am afraid I think Gus has sold the jersies before we start with that line up. Donnelly is not a main striker and Gus will ruin him in that position. To bring back Burns and leave Duff on the bench is puzzling. Brady and Orr as substitutes. Have they said something? Galt nowhere to be seen. I just cannot get my head round that but hope beyond hope for a positive outcome.

17 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Honestly difficult to see us turning this round.

Especially if we play with that lineup again. Such a negative team to put out. No pace, no creativity whatsoever. If Brady is going to be a sub, surely someone like Duff has got to be given an opportunity from the start. Guarantee he'll be the next player to just leave midway through the season and return back to the juniors. Why play Donnelly up top when clearly he's best in behind the striker? Gus has got to bring some players in on loan if we're to have any realistic chance of staying up. 

The football we have been watching for the last year has been terrible. A lot of fans who used to sit around me are no longer going to the games .
Would like to know the reasons for the team selection today as I would imagine most of the fans would not have chosen the starting line up .
Hope Gus can bring in some loan signings . I would imagine if we keep the same squad we will not stay in this division and our fan base will diminish as what is being served up is not entertaining.

At risk of receiving a huge negative response I really think Gus has lost the place. Today's team selection needs to be explained as only Gus could have come up with that. Sitting watching him on the sidelines it is pretty evident he does not react positively with his players. Every week the same gesticulations none of which show signs of encouragement. Every week the same reactions to the game and towards the next game. No clear sign of a settled formation however good or bad. Constant changing does nothing for confidence and signs of personality clashes during games suggest that all is not well. I have no doubts the boys are trying as hard as they can but sense they are scared to try something outside the scipt for fear of disappearing into obscurity. Perhaps Gus should be considering his position?

Talk of MacPherson considering his position is jumping the gun in a massive way. When he got the job, we were bottom of the bottom league in Scotland. Infact, not just bottom, but completely anchored with no hope of getting out of that position. In the following seasons, he delivered a 2nd place finish, a promotion, and our highest league finish in 30 odd years. This sort of season will always catch up with Queen's. It has before and will again. If you lose vital cogs in a team, it's difficult to replace them. Even more difficult when you're in League One and shopping in the juniors market. 

The general expectation of a Queen's manager has been to get us into the League Two playoffs. Gus did that and got us up. I don't think a poor performance in this league on the back of a promotion and a great season is worthy of a manager moving on. Sackable or resignation territory for a Queen's Park manager is either evidence that there's limited chance that they're going to take us to promotion after a few years in charge, or having a non competitive team in League Two. Say, for example, we'd lost the playoff final to Clyde and qualified for the playoffs again last season and were challenging at the top end again. Would we be questioning his position? No. So, talk of him considering his position would almost be punishing him for being one of the few managers to lead us to promotion into a tougher league. It's very rare for us not to struggle in the second season after promotion. It's the nature of our circumstances as a club.

Even if we do go down, Gus gets my backing to lead the team into next season. Only at the point where we look like we can't have a decent hit at the playoffs, or become completely uncompetitive in the bottom league, as we did under Gardner, should we consider the position of the manager. The guy has done a fantastic job since he's come to Queen's Park and I think he's earned more than a bit of leeway when it comes to results. People should cast their minds back to exactly where we were when he came in and be careful what they wish for. This season may be grim viewing, but the very idea of League One football in 2013/14 seemed a very remote possibility. 

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

Talk of MacPherson considering his position is jumping the gun in a massive way. When he got the job, we were bottom of the bottom league in Scotland. Infact, not just bottom, but completely anchored with no hope of getting out of that position. In the following seasons, he delivered a 2nd place finish, a promotion, and our highest league finish in 30 odd years. This sort of season will always catch up with Queen's. It has before and will again. If you lose vital cogs in a team, it's difficult to replace them. Even more difficult when you're in League One and shopping in the juniors market. 

The general expectation of a Queen's manager has been to get us into the League Two playoffs. Gus did that and got us up. I don't think a poor performance in this league on the back of a promotion and a great season is worthy of a manager moving on. Sackable or resignation territory for a Queen's Park manager is either evidence that there's limited chance that they're going to take us to promotion after a few years in charge, or having a non competitive team in League Two. Say, for example, we'd lost the playoff final to Clyde and qualified for the playoffs again last season and were challenging at the top end again. Would we be questioning his position? No. So, talk of him considering his position would almost be punishing him for being one of the few managers to lead us to promotion into a tougher league. It's very rare for us not to struggle in the second season after promotion. It's the nature of our circumstances as a club.

Even if we do go down, Gus gets my backing to lead the team into next season. Only that the point where we look like we can't have a decent hit at the playoffs, or become completely uncompetitive in the bottom league, as we did under Gardner, should we consider the position of the manager. The guy has done a fantastic job since he's come to Queen's Park and I think he's earned more than a bit of leeway when it comes to results. People should cast their minds back to exactly where we were when he came in and be careful what they wish for. This season may be grim viewing, but the very idea of League One football in 2013/14 seemed a very remote possibility. 

exactly , carefull what you wish for..

Archived