Incident at London Bridge

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The information about the background of the Manchester bomber which emerged in the days following should have been unsurvivable politically for Theresa May, given her position as Home Secretary during the Libyan conflict. This makes it even more sickening seeing her rolled out and telling us what needs to be done to prevent such attacks in the future.

There was one thing May said that I agreed with, but not in the way she intended - that we are too tolerant of extremism. Yes we are Theresa, at government and diplomatic level. We all know where this ideology comes from, who funds the preaching of it around the world, and who directly supports the groups running about the Middle East inspiring these attacks. But we will continue to ignore it and keep the lucrative alliances ticking over.

When a million people marching through London isn't enough, you wonder if it will ever get to the stage where public pressure can force a genuine rethink of our foreign policy. Especially when it's so interconnected with our allies' own ambitions. In an ideal world without such complications, we'd stop supporting foreign conflicts, offer assistance in the rebuilding of the various countries we've played a part in destroying, thus allowing displaced populations to return, which would also give the hopeless, easily-radicalised local populations a purpose in life and decimate the recruitment base for any lingering militant groups. This isn't in anyone's interests though. Well, apart from the hundreds of millions of normal people who would end up safer as a result.

4 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The information about the background of the Manchester bomber which emerged in the days following should have been unsurvivable politically for Theresa May, given her position as Home Secretary during the Libyan conflict. This makes it even more sickening seeing her rolled out and telling us what needs to be done to prevent such attacks in the future.

There was one thing May said that I agreed with, but not in the way she intended - that we are too tolerant of extremism. Yes we are Theresa, at government and diplomatic level. We all know where this ideology comes from, who funds the preaching of it around the world, and who directly supports the groups running about the Middle East inspiring these attacks. But we will continue to ignore it and keep the lucrative alliances ticking over.

When a million people marching through London isn't enough, you wonder if it will ever get to the stage where public pressure can force a genuine rethink of our foreign policy. Especially when it's so interconnected with our allies' own ambitions. In an ideal world without such complications, we'd stop supporting foreign conflicts, offer assistance in the rebuilding of the various countries we've played a part in destroying, thus allowing displaced populations to return, which would also give the hopeless, easily-radicalised local populations a purpose in life and decimate the recruitment base for any lingering militant groups. This isn't in anyone's interests though. Well, apart from the hundreds of millions of normal people who would end up safer as a result.

It is with regret I must tell you I only have one Greenie to award. Outstanding post, Sir.

5 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

May is absolutely teflon-coated in this regard thanks to a totally compliant media who will no doubt drag Corbyn through the gutter because he doesn't want to nuke someone. 

Why? What a fucking stupid thing to do. Some c**t probably just wanting some likes and retweets, can't understand why you'd do that.

When I asked the guy who shared it and boasted about doing it during the first Gulf War why they done it, his answer was basically just that it was a bit of banter, so doing it for some likes and retweets is probably about right.

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Apparently so.

c1a5fd0c7ea5b215e8ea619739576f00.jpg

Oh ffs. What an unfathomably ridiculous thing to do. Some raging, needle dicked, beetroot faced, war mongering cretin trying to be a smart arse. 

The absolute top part of that wee billet doux is that it was written on the side of a UAV (drone) being piloted by one of "our brave boys" from a light industrial unit near chelmsford. Of course, Hellfire missiles are precision armaments, so they'l ljust have hit the bad guys, not the 400+ (inc. over 150 kids) civilians who died in Coalition airstrikes on Syria in the week following the Manchester attack.

You could honour the victims by trying to ensure they're the last ones, rather than carrying on battering the wasps' nest and wondering why you're getting stung.

They just showed that photo of the terrorist on the ground at the feet of the policeman, with his head still in tact. He looked very submissive to me. Why did they kill him? I can't get my head round that one.

He had a suicide belt on. Although it turned out it was fake but he still wore it to strike fear into the people they were attacking. f**k knows if the Police Rules of Engagement are the same as the MOD ROE but the Police done the right thing in shooting them. Imagine the belts weren't fake and they killed more people?

You say head still in tact? Why aim for the head when you've got a big torso to aim for? You shoot to kill and use the minimum force necessary.

24 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Minter.

Daily Mail readers will be ripping the heid aff it over that.

What's more of a minter is that this appeared in the Mirror - a paper which I'd hoped was trying to be a bit more grown-up these days.

8 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

May is absolutely teflon-coated in this regard thanks to a totally compliant media who will no doubt drag Corbyn through the gutter because he doesn't want to nuke someone. 

The Sky reporter last night was saying she had already spoken to Tories who were pushing the "How dare he criticise us, he won't push the nuclear button" line

5 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

My Facebook feed has gone full racist. Otherwise sound minded people are now sharing Tommy Robinson videos and petitions to deport everyone on the watch list.

It's a sad sight

There are some magnificent ideas out there.

One response I saw in relation to "You can't deport them if they were born here" was "well deport their parents then". Brilliant.

My Facebook feed has gone full racist. Otherwise sound minded people are now sharing Tommy Robinson videos and petitions to deport everyone on the watch list.

It's a sad sight

You have to get them telt.

As difficult as that can be - that's how you stand up for something you believe in. In the 80s and early 90s racist jokes were quite a normal thing in society but now they're not. That comes from people standing up and saying 'not for me mate - I think you're wrong'.

It's a sad sight

Yep lot of my English pals have gone exact same way, people I'd always thought of as reasonable intelligent tolerant types. Spent a decade down south but moved back here 16 years ago. Suspect I wouldn't recognise the place now. Very sad

Archived