"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Seems odd that even though the board state that Finlayson only committed to a short term tenure a month or so in my opinion reeks of skulduggery, or is he now joining the Ross County board.

Was there any mention of a short term tenure on Willie Finlaysons appointment and is he staying on as a Director? 

I don't think it was ever official but as soon as (ex) Orion folk started reappearing on the scene, including Robbo, there have been rumours that Savage was waiting in the wings to return. Seems that is what is playing out.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I don't think it was ever official but as soon as (ex) Orion folk started reappearing on the scene, including Robbo, there have been rumours that Savage was waiting in the wings to return. Seems that is what is playing out.

Is that a good thing?  Geniune question. I gather he is wealthy but is he likely to encourage the cronyism that has gone on at the club in the past?  I know very little.

Edited by bunglebonce

14 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Is that a good thing?  Geniune question. I gather he is wealthy but is he likely to encourage the cronyism that has gone on at the club in the past?  I know very little.

I'm tending to fall down on the side of no. We saw last season the damage caused by having too much of a close relationship between chairman and manager in Foran and Cameron. By all accounts a fair few of the board wanted Foran out as our situation became increasingly desperate but Cameron stuck by his man and we went down. Once Cameron left Foran was a sitting duck. If we now have the same situation with Robbo being a Savage appointment then who's to say that a similar situation doesn't arise in the future. I'm not really comfortable with pretty much anything to do with ICT right now.

Quote :

The Board would like to acknowledge the contribution of Willie Finlayson who as Chairman, continues to provide transitional leadership and consultation between the past, current and new Board members.  At the time of his appointment, Willie advised the Board that his tenure as Chairman was not intended to be long term, and he has now subsequently confirmed that he will step down at the end of this month.

What was the point in appointing a chairman who didn't intend to stick around for any longer that 3 months?

And what was his contribution?

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Quote :

The Board would like to acknowledge the contribution of Willie Finlayson who as Chairman, continues to provide transitional leadership and consultation between the past, current and new Board members.  At the time of his appointment, Willie advised the Board that his tenure as Chairman was not intended to be long term, and he has now subsequently confirmed that he will step down at the end of this month.

What was the point in appointing a chairman who didn't intend to stick around for any longer that 3 months?

I'm speculating, but I suspect it was probably something to do with the rumours @RiG referred to earlier:

2 hours ago, RiG said:

In this theory, Willie Finlayson was a stopgap until Savage's return was assured, then his own choice of chairman - Graham Rae - would come in. Could be bullshit, of course.

56 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Quote :

The statement is typically standard Board rhetoric fudging over behind the scenes chaos imo, think of it as crack papering with some chinese whispering thrown in.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Quote :

CALEY THISTLE legend Duncan Shearer has blasted new chairman Willie Finlayson after finding out he had lost his job through VOICEMAIL.

Under-20s chief Shearer is shattered by the manner of his exit from a club where he spent nearly 15 years as a player and coach.

“I’m bitterly disappointed and I think it’s disrespectful.

“I got a call from a number I didn’t recognise. I thought it was a cold caller.

“I’ve only spoken to the new chairman once briefly. It wasn’t a number I knew.

“I let it go and then I got alerted to the fact there was a message.

“I started listening to the voicemail and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

Edited by frankthetank22

If Savage does come back then I'm on the fence regarding it. On the plus side he's a new person, he could bring new investment. On the negative side it would mean Robertson is in with the bricks. Also, when Savage was previously involved he put together the Niculae deal which, while it got us a great player, ended up with us potentially getting into financial trouble and having to go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to extricate ourselves.

I think he's someone who keeps the limelight, to be honest, and that's not a quality I look for in a chairman. We will see though.

I think Graeme Rae is a Muirfield Mills guy.

If I was John Robertson I'd be demanding ALL of Drapers wages or a couple more defenders, even if they are short term loans until Tremarco and Warren come back.

I still am not worried about another relegation battle as I do sense improvement sometime soon but its certain that a massive rebuild is needed, and its doable, Dundee U have successfully rebuilt from a couple of seasons ago and now St Mirren have too, from their relegation season.

Still expect some more activity before beginning of September, hopefully the board hand John some money for that, probably once OFW leaves that will happen.

6 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

If I was John Robertson I'd be demanding ALL of Drapers wages or a couple more defenders, even if they are short term loans until Tremarco and Warren come back.

I still am not worried about another relegation battle as I do sense improvement sometime soon but its certain that a massive rebuild is needed, and its doable, Dundee U have successfully rebuilt from a couple of seasons ago and now St Mirren have too, from their relegation season.

Still expect some more activity before beginning of September, hopefully the board hand John some money for that, probably once OFW leaves that will happen.

He doesn't need to demand that. It's public knowledge that he is getting the money freed up from Drapers wages, but not the transfer fee, to improve the squad.

15 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What a tenure he's had. Didn't realise he was based in Edinburgh, we should see if he fancies coming on some away days on the train now he's free from his work.

Funnily enough I saw him on the platform at Haymarket on Saturday! 

I heard a rumour that Alan Savage and Dougie MacGilvary have bought the shares that Sandy Catto gifted to the Highland Hospice and that they may look to add some of the newly available shares at the AGM.

Not sure if there's any truth to it but we have appointed Danny MacDonald and John Robertson in high profile roles, both ex employees of Savage.

Confirmed by Highland Hospice that the 19% of shares they were gifted by Sandy Catto have been bought by Alan Savage, Ian Macgilvary and Dougie Macgilvary. A third each.