45 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Just passed a group of about 20 Motherwell fans sitting outside Haymarket giving Nazi salutes and chanting seig heil. What odd behaviour. 

Were they of the "wee fannies who's baws haven't dropped" or the "embarrassing aging casuals who were last relevant in the late 80's"  variety"? 

On the game - an absolute object lesson for any Motherwell manager on why we aren't good enough to play a weakened team against *anybody*. It should be known as "The Albion Rovers Doctrine". 

When we knew we were going to play on the worst surface we'll play on this season, it should have been even more apparent that we should have been playing close to our best team. It's fine to have squad players - we need them obviously - but to drop every one of our most effective players from Saturday was reckless and it was only a massive slice of luck that avoided a total minter. 

That said - enjoyed the night totally - I don't watch games on badly mown grass mounds nearly often enough... 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Swello said:

Were they of the "wee fannies who's baws haven't dropped" or the "embarrassing aging casuals who were last relevant in the late 80's"  variety"? 

The former. 

"I'd rather be a Paki than an Accie" was how they ended their set before legging it for the train. 

3.2 win for the mighty Queen's which doesn't really reflect the share of play.

Pretty comfortable after losing a poor early goal. Galt impressive in a team that was a wee step up from Berwick.

We're looking not bad at all.

Two positive posts in a row. Are we past the "settle for eighth" disclaimer yet?[emoji4]

As long as Gus stays the term and Quinno educates the new lads about what they are now part of, I think we'll do well this season. I've got a good feeling about this lot. Even a modest uplift in the goals-for column will see us jump into the top five regularly. Get past winter then who knows. Bring it on!

To this day I still have never seen a decent game of football on a plastic pitch, last nights was particularly brutal. Plastic is bad enough when it's well watered but a totally dry pitch last night was horrific. Glad to get through though, 44 crosses into the box which Alex "heid like a 50 pence piece" Fisher managed to do absolutely nothing with.

Cadden changed the game, McManus is done at this level, Kipre is a machine, Bigirimana still loves a celebration.

9 hours ago, Swello said:

On the game - an absolute object lesson for any Motherwell manager on why we aren't good enough to play a weakened team against *anybody*. It should be known as "The Albion Rovers Doctrine". 

When we knew we were going to play on the worst surface we'll play on this season, it should have been even more apparent that we should have been playing close to our best team. It's fine to have squad players - we need them obviously - but to drop every one of our most effective players from Saturday was reckless and it was only a massive slice of luck that avoided a total minter. 

^^^ 100% this.

Robinson comments after the game about getting 44 crosses into the box was almost verbatim of David Moyes after his Man United side drew 2-2 with Fulham. Obviously it implies the extent of control and dominance but by the same token it clearly wasn't effective. It's interesting that the bulk of our goals in the last couple of games have come from getting the ball on the deck and playing through teams rather than getting the ball out wide and launching crosses in to the box. Who knows, maybe the surface played a part. It's stating the obvious but if Bowman takes that chance in the opening seconds then it's a different game.

It's a cliché to say it but in a broader sense you'd think that with the changes and nature of the result Robinson will probably have learned more from that than if we had just gone out and stuck 4 or 5 past City. If nothing else it'll confirm that our most effective players are indeed our most effective players. Also, if we're accentuating positives, there's a fair chance that in previous years we'd have lost that from a similar position. Though to wilfully put ourselves in that position seems unnecessarily reckless.

12 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Two positive posts in a row. Are we past the "settle for eighth" disclaimer yet?emoji4.png

As long as Gus stays the term and Quinno educates the new lads about what they are now part of, I think we'll do well this season. I've got a good feeling about this lot. Even a modest uplift in the goals-for column will see us jump into the top five regularly. Get past winter then who knows. Bring it on!

Pleased with the League Cup campaign, but not getting carried away. Very few of the new boys have real league experience, and the success stories that Gus brought in initially had a season or two to adapt in League Two. This is definitely a massive step up for the new boys. Any season outside League Two is a bonus for us and 8th will still do me. If we exceed expectations, like last season, I'll obviously be delighted. Gus and the players have a habit of punching above our weight for a club of our stature, so it's not impossible that we can do it again.

Pleased with the League Cup campaign, but not getting carried away. Very few of the new boys have real league experience, and the success stories that Gus brought in initially had a season or two to adapt in League Two. This is definitely a massive step up for the new boys. Any season outside League Two is a bonus for us and 8th will still do me. If we exceed expectations, like last season, I'll obviously be delighted. Gus and the players have a habit of punching above our weight for a club of our stature, so it's not impossible that we can do it again.

Your absolutely right but my thinking was that the rump of last year's team are still with us and they all have proved themselves at this level. Apart from McGeever we have the same strong defence and Green looks like he wants the line-leader role. Also looks like we have more options for left wing back too, another weak spot last year. In the middle, Gus has found a bit of weight and strength which was lacking last year in certain fixtures. In other games where we'll have more control Rutherford, Brady, Donnelly and Galt on the rampage. Lovely!

Up front still remains to be proven but it looks generally that with so much of the defence intact Gus has directed the scouts to be looking for attackers, both strikers and midfielders, which has been the weaker half of the team in the last 3 seasons. He's mentioned a couple more to come and I'll be surprised if they're not attackers.

So my optimism isn't blind loyalty. There'll be highs and lows as always but then so has every team at this level. I just think he's got the best blend yet and this'll be a good one. But I'll be counting on you to keep my boldness in check across the season.[emoji6]

54 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

In other games where we'll have more control Rutherford, Brady, Donnelly and Galt on the rampage. Lovely!

Who is this guy Rutherford? That's twice you've mentioned him. I also take it you mean Docherty, not Donnelly...you been on the sauce this afternoon?

Enjoyed last night.

Millen with yet another penalty dinked down the middle. Class  

Bailey was good at left wing back. Superb diving header from a great cross from Galt.

Thought Galt was the best player on the park. Got booked at the end for doing keepy uppies as he went to take a corner. Didn’t waste much time as he was running towards the corner flag while doing it but it got the usual mob in the Ducket seething which was pleasing

Bad mistake from Wharton right at the start to gift them the lead. However he managed to put it behind him and go on to have an excellent game, something he struggled to do last season if he made an error.  Good to see as his previous 2 performance have been pretty much faultless.  We bossed the game after that and could have been 4 or 5 -1 up before they pulled a crap goal back after a bit of a stramash. We did well to see the win out after that, obviously learning from the Morton game 

Kilday, O'Ware, Lamie, Barr & Oliver all missing for us on Saturday due to injury/illness. Harkins suspended. Squad is very stretched and going to be a struggle not just for this game but the first game of the season.

Heneghan was supposedly struggling a bit with injury which is why he was out of the Edinburgh City game. According to Robinson post-match at least.

I think it was Hammell he was saying was most likely to make it.

Carson
Kipré McManus Hammell
Tait Cadden McHugh Bigirimana Frear
Tanner Moult

It'd be nice if we could get some of the u20s involved and get a decent run out at some point as well tbh.

Apologies Cap'n, I always forget about these threads, Just seen yer mention of Moult.

I expect him to get about 60 mins in prep for the h*ns (complete guess, but have heard he's starting)

ETA my number lock was off for some reason

We need to win today to ensure we are seeded for the next round, so that means we should have our strongest starting eleven out there today, no two ways about it. We have been stung in the past for not taking cup games against lower league sides seriously - Albion Rovers in 2013 - and it's about time we learned our lesson. Our Cup record is disgraceful and is something which is driving fans away, something we cannot afford given our meagre support, so a Cup run for us is vital.

I expect a strong starting line up today and a comfortable win, nothing less is acceptable.

Archived