• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Thought we played well in the first 45 but we are going to be the same as last year 5 at the back and nobody going to get near 10 goals a season . Support the team but sometimes play for the win .

I'll take a repeat of last season right now. 

Poor performance but a comfortable enough win for The Famous. If we had added a second goal then Berwick might have actually come out of their own half for a change and given our attackers some space to play in, but they shut down the space well and weren't far from sneaking a draw.

We'll need to do much better against Queens Park in order to guarantee our 100% win record in the group stage.

Felt at half-time it was very equal and saw little, apart from the goal move, from Well that separated the teams. Didn't see the collision that led to the second but these things happen when players are getting used to each other. Well took all their goals very well with a lethal mix of good ball control and precision finishing. Fair to say we won't get punished like that often in L1.

The negatives, largely the defence and the goals in particular, are all fixable and in a short space of time. Gus might be more disappointed by how we folded after the third, nothing to do with fatigue. Positives for me was seeing the new players all showing good prospect and trying to get the ball forward. In particular, there were several instances where there was a string of players along the six-yard line ready to pounce.

Lots to learn from this display and I think it's reasonable to think Tuesday's game will give us a better chance of developing our own game rather than coping with our opponents. If Gus' ambition is the play-offs then we'll have to have the capability to change formation to suit our opponents. Early signs suggest we'll be dependant on the midfield for goals, and of course our big defenders at set plays.

5 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Felt at half-time it was very equal and saw little, apart from the goal move, from Well that separated the teams. Didn't see the collision that led to the second but these things happen when players are getting used to each other. Well took all their goals very well with a lethal mix of good ball control and precision finishing. Fair to say we won't get punished like that often in L1.

The negatives, largely the defence and the goals in particular, are all fixable and in a short space of time. Gus might be more disappointed by how we folded after the third, nothing to do with fatigue. Positives for me was seeing the new players all showing good prospect and trying to get the ball forward. In particular, there were several instances where there was a string of players along the six-yard line ready to pounce.

Lots to learn from this display and I think it's reasonable to think Tuesday's game will give us a better chance of developing our own game rather than coping with our opponents. If Gus' ambition is the play-offs then we'll have to have the capability to change formation to suit our opponents. Early signs suggest we'll be dependant on the midfield for goals, and of course our big defenders at set plays.

Think it's a bit harsh to say it had nothing to do with fatigue. Motherwell are a full time team and were bigger, faster and better than our guys, as you would expect to be the case. A lot of legs and concentration needed, particularly at this juncture, to keep up with them. Once the game goes 3-1 and there's little in the way to cling on to or chase, it's completely natural that the head and legs will go a bit against a Premier League quality side. Despite that, and to the credit of the players, they still kept plugging away and could have nicked another at the end.

17 hours ago, an86 said:

What was the score with the Green Street lads at the end? Seemed to be some guy threatening to run them down with a motor outside the exit. They then seemed to turn round to nobody in particular and shout "'mon then!" whilst running away. A bizarre spectacle, yet definitely more entertaining than the last 20 minutes or so.

I was walking to Mount Florida train station about half an hour after the game and there had been a bit of a rammy on Bolton Drive ending with someone getting hit by a car.

6 hours ago, Mordecai said:

I was walking to Mount Florida train station about half an hour after the game and there had been a bit of a rammy on Bolton Drive ending with someone getting hit by a car.

We had Motherwell asylum seekers causing bother at Cappielow a couple of years ago. Their manager even quit over the embarrassment.

Morton now have one of these arrangements where you have to buy a ticket at a kiosk before going to the turnstile. Expect a shambles, as these arrangements tend to be.

On the game.... despite the score on Saturday, I was quite happy with the display. The defensive errors can be worked on. Looking forward to a visit to Greenock.......not often you hear that.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Morton now have one of these arrangements where you have to buy a ticket at a kiosk before going to the turnstile. 

Clubs that do this should have their license revoked, their ground sold for housing and their name crudely scratched off any trophies they've won. Worse than the Nazis frankly.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Morton now have one of these arrangements where you have to buy a ticket at a kiosk before going to the turnstile. Expect a shambles, as these arrangements tend to be.

It will be a shambles for a while, but in the long run should cut back on any "dipping in the till".

Archived