Group C

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you actually cared about this result more than any of the Dees on the thread [emoji38]

Utterly tragic.

We're gonna win this tinpot cup.

The DA is absolutely fizzing. Lovely.

Thank you.

Whether Moussa goes down as shite or a new hero - his celebration was absolutely fantastic and deserving of cult status. That's how it's done.

How did Vaughan miss that sitter 30 seconds before the Dundee goal? Did the defender get a toe on it?

It was definitely Matthews. Not sure if it was partially blocked or if he completely mistimed it.

Fine margins and all that.

I enjoyed that. The game had a good competitive edge, in part helped by the referee being a bit of a picky w**k, but it did feel like a cup tie rather than a jumped up friendly which was good. Disappointing to lose obviously, but really quite a lot for us to take from that along with some things which we still need to work on. Not a lot of chances in the first half, Dundee were pretty calm and composed at the back and managed to get a block on pretty much all our shots. Similarly we did well to snuff out any threat Dundee posed, although Davidson still looks a bit shaky.

Couldn't really tell what happened at the first goal. Looked like a bit of pinball before it landed at the guys feet. Vaughan's was a cracking finish, controlled it really well with his weaker foot, totally wrong footed Bain and stuck it in the corner. Unbelievable chance to win it literally 1 minute before the winner, four yards out, centre of the goal and somehow the defender got a block in. Davidson gave away a stupid free kick 40 yards out and naturally Dundee got the winner. That is however 5 full games without conceding a direct free kick, which is nice.

I really like the look of the boy Euan Murray, assured on the ground, strong in the air and in the tackle and even got forward a few times, providing the ball in for our equaliser. Not bad for a centre half! Once we sign a LB and he goes to CB with Benedictus i'll be a lot more confident. Robertson was all over the park, breaking it up and keeping it simple, probably my man of the match. Callachan's engine alongside him gives our midfield real drive which is refreshing. Yaw did well out on the wing, we need to remember he is a striker and played the entirety of the season up front for the 20s. I'm not sure he's ever played out wide. He's definitely raw but he does have a turn of pace and seems to have put on a bit since last year. Spence is still a bit off the pace, he doesn't have the pace or the stature to worry Premier League defenders so is reliant on something falling for him in the box. It'll come for him soon, I'm sure. Vaughan and Buchanan look the real deal, however. Buchanan's first touch is great to watch and is a real threat in the box. Its hard not to be excited at the prospect of those two linking up in the league. 

Dundee's number 8 was their best player by a distance. The big lad that came off the bench to get the goal is an absolute unit as well, can see him doing well once they get him up to speed. Cracking away support down, likely aided by the nice weather. Thought they kept the ball well without looking too dangerous in the final third. El Bak on his own up top isn't the answer, but I think you all knew that anyway. Paul McGowan is a proper wee rat, too. All the best for the season.

I enjoyed that. The game had a good competitive edge, in part helped by the referee being a bit of a picky w**k, but it did feel like a cup tie rather than a jumped up friendly which was good. Disappointing to lose obviously, but really quite a lot for us to take from that along with some things which we still need to work on. Not a lot of chances in the first half, Dundee were pretty calm and composed at the back and managed to get a block on pretty much all our shots. Similarly we did well to snuff out any threat Dundee posed, although Davidson still looks a bit shaky.
Couldn't really tell what happened at the first goal. Looked like a bit of pinball before it landed at the guys feet. Vaughan's was a cracking finish, controlled it really well with his weaker foot, totally wrong footed Bain and stuck it in the corner. Unbelievable chance to win it literally 1 minute before the winner, four yards out, centre of the goal and somehow the defender got a block in. Davidson gave away a stupid free kick 40 yards out and naturally Dundee got the winner. That is however 5 full games without conceding a direct free kick, which is nice.
I really like the look of the boy Euan Murray, assured on the ground, strong in the air and in the tackle and even got forward a few times, providing the ball in for our equaliser. Not bad for a centre half! Once we sign a LB and he goes to CB with Benedictus i'll be a lot more confident. Robertson was all over the park, breaking it up and keeping it simple, probably my man of the match. Callachan's engine alongside him gives our midfield real drive which is refreshing. Yaw did well out on the wing, we need to remember he is a striker and played the entirety of the season up front for the 20s. I'm not sure he's ever played out wide. He's definitely raw but he does have a turn of pace and seems to have put on a bit since last year. Spence is still a bit off the pace, he doesn't have the pace or the stature to worry Premier League defenders so is reliant on something falling for him in the box. It'll come for him soon, I'm sure. Vaughan and Buchanan look the real deal, however. Buchanan's first touch is great to watch and is a real threat in the box. Its hard not to be excited at the prospect of those two linking up in the league. 
Dundee's number 8 was their best player by a distance. The big lad that came off the bench to get the goal is an absolute unit as well, can see him doing well once they get him up to speed. Cracking away support down, likely aided by the nice weather. Thought they kept the ball well without looking too dangerous in the final third. El Bak on his own up top isn't the answer, but I think you all knew that anyway. Paul McGowan is a proper wee rat, too. All the best for the season.

Good performance by Raith. You'd never have known there are 2 leagues between us. Thought your defence was pretty solid really. I've said it many times but Kyle is as good as most of the CH's we have signed since he was let go. Is he rated at the San Starko?

Cracking assessment. The number 8 you mentioned is Glen Kamara, our Finnish DM sighed from Arsenal.

I'm delighted to announce that I finally seen what other Dee's seen in him tonight after a fairly underwhelming pre season. He was as effective as Kevin Thomson in the Derby tonight. Didn't have his cigars out admittedly, but loves sticking his arse in the way to outmuscle players.

Good performance by Raith. You'd never have known there are 2 leagues between us. Thought your defence was pretty solid really. I've said it many times but Kyle is as good as most of the CH's we have signed since he was let go. Is he rated at the San Starko?

Bene has been our most consistent player the past 2 seasons. Often asked to play lb and rb last season and still did a decent enough job. I rate him very highly.

Happy with the victory, particularly because it was fought for following a great strike for the equaliser, although Cammy landing on his arse lead to the cross that was so sweetly struck by Vaughan.
I was disappointed in the inability to open the well organised Raith defence as we lacked confidence and tempo with the final ball. Camara is, for a wee guy strong and skilful and looked good. Hendry looked nervous giving a few balls away, yet his commitment and self sacrificing header to score the winner was great to see. No fannying about.
Wolters didn't get enough of the ball in the second half and we saw glimpses of what Deacon will do, yet I felt there wasn't enough tempo in attacking defenders. Faisal runs after everything but it isn't working this lone Dee up front.
McGowan made a difference, yet I understand why O'Hara got the nod with the height he has to back up Faisal. Didn't work. Scott Allan will need to settle as his touches are there, namely a few crosses in and good ball protection skills, but I'd have liked to see him run at defenders through the middle.
Sofien Moussa took his goal well and caused problems in the Raith defence. The incredulous look on his pus when he was booked for his celebration was the epitome of bewilderment! Braw stuff.

Raith are too good to be in D1 and looked worthy of a draw tonight if I'm honest. Two goals from set pieces. Barry will need to get them practising.

Nice to go back to Starks Park.

Hank Scorpio's post from earlier is spot on. 

Euan Murray looked excellent tonight and if he can repeat those performances Ideally we'll get either a left back in or a new center half in and get Davo dropped. It's clear that his day is done, and he's not got the mind for defending in my opinion. 

Ayr will feel like they're the team to beat next season after their two cup wins, but I'm quite confident. We've played two very good teams as Smith mentions in his interview. I'm confident that if we're playing a pressing game a lot of league one defenses will struggle with a combination of Vaughan, Spence, Buchanan, as well as having Bobby Barr who missed out tonight through injury.  Even Jonny Court adds a good physical presence (came on tonight, bodied O'Dea who kicked out at him, before being subbed off on a booking).

Excellent numbers travelling down from Dundee. All the best for the rest of the season. Utter scenes for both of your goals, as frustrated as I was the first one was hilarious to see the boy going mental and jump on the wall. As shite as it is always losing games 2-1 in the 90th minute to you, they're always cracking games. 

Enjoyed watching the highlights back, there was a few feisty moments in the game but the last 10 minutes sparked into life, some absolute sitters missed!

Holt's challenge at 4:39 is absolutely glorious!

Also, massive credit to Raith's number 16 (Jonny Court?) for running straight to check on Hendry on the floor after our second.

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I do anyway and so do a lot of others. The only useful thing in our defense for months at a time last season (even if his time at left back wasn't pretty) and the most reliable back there the season before too.

Can't believe he's still here but I'm not complaining.

Archived