Group G

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent enough draw. Stenny again being the only slight disappointment. Nothing personal and I'm sure the feeling is mutual! I'd imagine our pre-season game will now be panned.

Without getting ahead of myself we should certainly be looking to qualify from this, and I'd give us an outside chance of topping the group.

As good a draw as good have been. Would love the EK to be away. We've a real chance of topping the group.

Edited to add, I don't know why I'm so confident actually given our record against Albion in the cups!

At first glance looks good, possibly even winnable?

But, then I think of Albion Rovers/ who might be the first " biggish " club to fall to EK and I get a fear!!!!

On the face of it, an ideal group for us. Hamilton usually seem to be fairly poor in cup games, Albion Rovers offers a good revenge game though they have lost a lot of players since then, Stenny  is the least glamorous tie for us but they have made some good signings so will be a more interesting proposition and East Kilbride are a team we haven't faced before.

Either 'Stone Cold' Stenhousemuir or East Kilbride away pls. 

Guest Flash
31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

When is it decided which games will be home and away?

Don't know exact date. OS says in the next week or so.

Eta SPFL website just says next week.

Based on info provided in the main cup thread re last seasons schedule, Queen of the South's fixtures would be:

Stenhousemuir v Qos
QoS v EK (midweek)
Hamilton v QoS
(free midweek)
QoS v Albion Rovers

1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

Based on info provided in the main cup thread re last seasons schedule, Queen of the South's fixtures would be:

Stenhousemuir v Qos
QoS v EK (midweek)
Hamilton v QoS
(free midweek)
QoS v Albion Rovers

Not sure what that's based on? We will almost certainly be away to Accies on matchday 3 and free midweek matchday 4. The other three games could be in any order though.

Good draw, don't agree with the aiming for 9 points though, surely we should be looking at winning every game against lower league opposition.

Sorry, meant to say at least 9 points. With Accies in cup competition, every game's a potential banana skin and there's usually a slip up along the way.

We will almost certainly be away to Accies on matchday 3...

I've seen that said a few times now, why is this likely to be the case? I'm guessing it's not a case of randomly selecting the home and away fixtures?

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've seen that said a few times now, why is this likely to be the case? I'm guessing it's not a case of randomly selecting the home and away fixtures?

All the top seeds played the second seeds at home last season on matchday 3, with the top seeds having a free midweek beforehand.

Eta just noticed HJ's post from the League Cup thread.

Guest Flash
9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is definitely some kind of pre-set system - for example last season (with the exception of the Motherwell & Rangers group) all the first seeds were at home to the second seeds on the middle Saturday; all the first seeds had the preceding midweek off; and so on.

My recollection is that the unseeded clubs were positioned by random draw or the order in which they were drawn, as opposed to any ranking.

Put simply:

* the first seeds played AXHAH
* the seconds seeds played AHAXH
* the unseeded clubs played respectively HAHAX... HAXHA... and XHAHA

and

* the first seeds played the second seeds and 1 unseeded at home; 2 unseeded away
* the second seeds played 2 unseeded at home; the first seeds and 1 unseeded away
* two unseeded clubs each played the first seeds and a fellow unseeded at home, the second seed and a fellow unseeded away... the other played the second seed and a fellow unseeded at home, the first seed and a fellow unseeded away

and

* the first seeds got both home games on weekends
* the second seeds got 1 home game on weekend
* the unseeded clubs got respectively both home games... 1 home game... and no home games on weekends

So to answer the original question - if the same system is used you are bound to play either Dundee or Dundee Utd at home, but not both, and it's more likely to be Dundee.

Archived