Group G

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like to think we beat Rangers and Patrick Thistle in winning our latest Challenge Cup.

We did, but we went through extra time first and then had penalties to decide the winner of the tie.

None of which happened last night.

Look, its a hugely disappointing result, theres no getting away from that and I've never tried to say otherwise. Personally, I think there have been many worse results in our history though. Im also slightly less worried than I might have been given the number of chances that were created. With players still to come in (although who they are is becoming more and more crucial) I dont think last nights result is too much of an indication of how the season is going to go.

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

But more accurately, we drew. We certainly didnt lose 6 goals.

I kind of agree with you. I wouldn't say its our worst result but It certainly wasn't a good one. it was a draw last night but had we won on penalties it would of softened the blow. how I see it is we are a full time club that had dobbie and lyle on the pitch and couldn't score against a team from the lowland league.

confidence is low and I think will be lower come Saturday night.  

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

We did, but we went through extra time first and then had penalties to decide the winner of the tie.

None of which happened last night.

Look, its a hugely disappointing result, theres no getting away from that and I've never tried to say otherwise. Personally, I think there have been many worse results in our history though. Im also slightly less worried than I might have been given the number of chances that were created. With players still to come in (although who they are is becoming more and more crucial) I dont think last nights result is too much of an indication of how the season is going to go.

Some very fair points there.

That said if last night`s result costs us the previously quoted £35K will that decrease the number/quality of the players coming in??

Like having Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup last year this group was a reasonably favourable draw. Failure to take advantage then cost us around £100K and it`s hugely frustrating that another awful result is likely to cost us another significant cash sum.

We could of course still qualify and are currently top of the group :o

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

Victoria's penalty was ridiculous. I didn't realise Bowman was in goals until the shoot out he made two stunning penalty saves and will do a good turn for Albion.

Bowman made some great saves from the pens as for the efforts of Vitoria and Davidson the less said. 

Mick Dunlop is a class act applauding Rovers fans at the end.

24 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I kind of agree with you. I wouldn't say its our worst result but It certainly wasn't a good one. it was a draw last night but had we won on penalties it would of softened the blow. how I see it is we are a full time club that had dobbie and lyle on the pitch and couldn't score against a team from the lowland league.

confidence is low and I think will be lower come Saturday night.  

I wouldnt disagree with any of that and your point about confidence is a really good one. Naysmith is going to have to work pretty hard to keep the confidence up, particularly if we lose on Saturday

18 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Some very fair points there.

That said if last night`s result costs us the previously quoted £35K will that decrease the number/quality of the players coming in??

Like having Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup last year this group was a reasonably favourable draw. Failure to take advantage then cost us around £100K and it`s hugely frustrating that another awful result is likely to cost us another significant cash sum.

We could of course still qualify and are currently top of the group :o

The £35k is the prize money for a second round loser. There is still prize money for the other teams, £25k for second place non-qualifiers, £21k for 3rd, £19k for 4th and £17k for 5th.

If we dont go through, we stand to lose anything up to £18k but more likely, around £15k or less. Its still a lot of money but its significantly less than £35k.

ETA - I would hope the board have budgeted for the lowest amount of income from the cup competitions, so that anything extra is a bonus

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I wouldnt disagree with any of that and your point about confidence is a really good one. Naysmith is going to have to work pretty hard to keep the confidence up, particularly if we lose on Saturday

The £35k is the prize money for a second round loser. There is still prize money for the other teams, £25k for second place non-qualifiers, £21k for 3rd, £19k for 4th and £17k for 5th.

If we dont go through, we stand to lose anything up to £18k but more likely, around £15k or less. Its still a lot of money but its significantly less than £35k.

ETA - I would hope the board have budgeted for the lowest amount of income from the cup competitions, so that anything extra is a bonus

Cheers. Thanks for the info.

Totally agree that the board shouldn`t budget that we will go through though hopefully they have enough confidence in their managerial appointment not to have budgeted for 5th place ;)

. No doubt going through and getting some extra cash might free up some funds for the manager.

Anyway as you suggest early days and still much to play for.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If we dont go through, we stand to lose anything up to £18k but more likely, around £15k. Its still a lot of money but its significantly less than £35k.

There's also the money to be made subsequently in the tournament.  I'd imagine for instance, that we made a few quid from visiting Easter Road and Ibrox last season.

And here's a thought:  It might also be nice as a football fan, to see the club doing well and progressing in football tournaments for its own sake.  Most of us remember 2008 for reasons that stretch beyond a balance sheet.

Getting through to play Celtic last season would have been beneficial financially, but much more importantly, it would have been a fixture and occasion to look forward to in January.

35 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Cheers. Thanks for the info.

Totally agree that the board shouldn`t budget that we will go through though hopefully they have enough confidence in their managerial appointment not to have budgeted for 5th place ;)

. No doubt going through and getting some extra cash might free up some funds for the manager.

Anyway as you suggest early days and still much to play for.

Ive seen and heard this mentioned a few times but dont really understand it. Is the implication that there isnt money available just now and we're stuck with what we have? Or are people seeing this, potential, money as extra?

Theres never been any indication that there isnt money available to bring in more players

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's also the money to be made subsequently in the tournament.  I'd imagine for instance, that we made a few quid from visiting Easter Road and Ibrox last season.

And here's a thought:  It might also be nice as a football fan, to see the club doing well and progressing in football tournaments for its own sake.  Most of us remember 2008 for reasons that stretch beyond a balance sheet.

Getting through to play Celtic last season would have been beneficial financially, but much more importantly, it would have been a fixture and occasion to look forward to in January.

All perfectly true. The post, though, was a direct answer to the "quoted" loss of £35k.

We could just as easily go through and get pumped out by someone like St Johnstone in front of 1000 fans.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Ive seen and heard this mentioned a few times but dont really understand it. Is the implication that there isnt money available just now and we're stuck with what we have? Or are people seeing this, potential, money as extra?

Theres never been any indication that there isnt money available to bring in more players

There will be money for players- if not then we really are in for a long hard season IMHO. Extra prize money might increase the pot and potentially mean better players. That`s my take on it.

5 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Mick Dunlop is a class act applauding Rovers fans at the end.

Yup, he is indeed, especially after he was booed. However, I'd be more concerned to find out whether he let Victoria out his pocket before he headed home.

As for the game, I was quite heartened, although I do struggle to understand how anyone can put a penalty yards past a post; goalkeeper saves and balloons over the bar, I get, but Davidson's penalty was something else. Holmes and young Lightbody were the stars, but I'd struggle to criticise anyone who played their part in the regulation 90 mins, and we played some really good stuff at times. I include Victoria in that who worked hard without getting much change out of Mick.

If I have concerns, it would be with the lack of width. I suspect the fullbacks are meant to provide that in overloads, but clearly it's not working as envisaged yet, and I'm not sure Alan Reid or Scott McLaughlin will ever be marauding Roberto Carlos types. We also seem to lack a bit of physicality and vocal leadership; Gary Fisher is a popular choice as captain but he's a lead-by-example type rather than a 'shouter and screamer'.

A win at East Kilbride on Saturday is a must if we're serious about competing to leave the group, and there was enough signs last night that we're capable of that.

If I have concerns, it would be with the lack of width. I suspect the fullbacks are meant to provide that in overloads, but clearly it's not working as envisaged yet, and I'm not sure Alan Reid or Scott McLaughlin will ever be marauding Roberto Carlos types.

There were times late in the second half when it seemed to me that Alan Reid was playing much further forward than I ever remember him playing before. Maybe a feature of the new Kerr regime? Some of Reid's crossing was poor last night though he almost got a rare goal with a powerful low shot that the keeper had to think quick to save.

On the other wing as you said McLaughlin didn't produce much but he still looked full of running up until the end and looks capable of beating a man

6 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Yup, he is indeed, especially after he was booed. However, I'd be more concerned to find out whether he let Victoria out his pocket before he headed home.

As for the game, I was quite heartened, although I do struggle to understand how anyone can put a penalty yards past a post; goalkeeper saves and balloons over the bar, I get, but Davidson's penalty was something else. Holmes and young Lightbody were the stars, but I'd struggle to criticise anyone who played their part in the regulation 90 mins, and we played some really good stuff at times. I include Victoria in that who worked hard without getting much change out of Mick.

If I have concerns, it would be with the lack of width. I suspect the fullbacks are meant to provide that in overloads, but clearly it's not working as envisaged yet, and I'm not sure Alan Reid or Scott McLaughlin will ever be marauding Roberto Carlos types. We also seem to lack a bit of physicality and vocal leadership; Gary Fisher is a popular choice as captain but he's a lead-by-example type rather than a 'shouter and screamer'.

A win at East Kilbride on Saturday is a must if we're serious about competing to leave the group, and there was enough signs last night that we're capable of that.

Albion Rovers getting out the group after a home draw and losing the pens ? You do realise it isn't the top two that go through ? 

Or are you thinking that you can get 10 points ? We are bad but if you can't beat that Stenny side I can't imagine you will be beating us, accies and EK. 

Archived