Group G

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Losing 6-2 at home to Ross County who were in the Highland league at the time in a Scottish Cup replay was absolutely dire.

That's the worst I've seen. wasn't there tonight but !!!! 

Albion probably deserved to win tonight. An even first half but they were well on top in the second we looked tired and leggy as it went on with no out ball.

Some of the penalties were shambolic but we got there in the end.

16 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Jacobs - Did Kyle Jacobs things, kept getting on the end of crosses which is never a good thing with Kyle Jacobs. Lord knows why he took a penalty.

Jacobs was Livingston's regular penalty taker. He took the one against us that kept them up. Dobbie apart he was tbe most obvious pick out there. Terrible penalty though.

28 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Despite that, we hit the post at least twice and created enough chances to win comfortably.

It wasnt an acceptable performance, in as much as the passing was too one paced and the wide men, in particular, didnt contribute enough in an attacking sense, but there are some massive over reactions going on over the result.

We hit the post FOUR times. Rankin and Lyle first half. Murray and Dobbie second half. And Kyle Jacobs headed over at an open goal. 

We werent good. You are spot on. It was too pedestrian and lacking invention. But we should still have won very comfortably. We had absolutely no luck. I still have no idea how Lyle in particular missed his chance.

Thats a disaster of a result. Fair play to EK though. Rode their luck and took their chance. Well done.

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It is, Im not pretending otherwise. But I dont think its as indicative of how the season is going to be as some

Stirling did look good in spells but, as you say, he cut inside too often. Thats ok if you're heading towards goal but it was always square, across the box and in front of the defence, which suited them perfectly.

As poor a result as it is, plenty of people are over reacting

It was actually Murray I was meaning kept cutting inside, but you are right they were both at it.

The worry for Saturday is that there isn't much else we can do differently with the personnel.  Given we are away from home to a top division side you expect he'll stick with the two defensive midfielders of Rankin and Jacobs and soak up pressure and try and hit on the counter.  We're not exactly brimming with pace to do this though.  Of course if we do play that way and lose you'll have the usual moans that we should have "had a go", but I don't really know what changes you make to tonight's team "to have a go".  On tonight's showing Tapping doesn't deserve a start, and although Dykes was slightly less shite than Lyle tonight he's hardly the type of change to a starting XI that's going turn around our fortunes.

I suspect we might see the panic signing of McFadden before Saturday.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jacobs was Livingston's regular penalty taker. He took the one against us that kept them up. Dobbie apart he was tbe most obvious pick out there. Terrible penalty though.

We hit the post FOUR times. Rankin and Lyle first half. Murray and Dobbie second half. And Kyle Jacobs headed over at an open goal. 

We werent good. You are spot on. It was too pedestrian and lacking invention. But we should still have won very comfortably. We had absolutely no luck. I still have no idea how Lyle in particular missed his chance.

Thats a disaster of a result. Fair play to EK though. Rode their luck and took their chance. Well done.

Careful now, Mustn`t over react.

Albion probably deserved to win tonight. An even first half but they were well on top in the second we looked tired and leggy as it went on with no out ball.
Some of the penalties were shambolic but we got there in the end.

An honest assessment Neilly and one that matches up well with my own view.

I was heartened to see that we looked quite fit up until the end and we spent most of the game playing some nice passing football.

Agree that the standard of penalties were poor. At least your players hit the target and produced great saves from Bowman. Victoria and Davidson not even getting the ball within the goal frame isn't acceptable at senior level

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Losing 6-2 at home to Ross County who were in the Highland league at the time in a Scottish Cup replay was absolutely dire.

There are rumours still circling about that result. I blame gambling.

Given our tangles with the woodwork, I suppose it could have resulted in the comfortable win we were looking for.  

That's no excuse for the fact that it didn't though.  What depressed me was that as the second half drifted away, we seemed unable to force the issue.

EK were organised and deserved to hold out - they really weren't very good though.  Our passing was pedestrian and poor, our crossing was generally awful and there was just a general absence of effective movement and invention.

We look to maybe be screwed in this competition now, but I can't help feeling that the League Cup is currently the least of our worries.  

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wasnt sure the two shots first half had hit the post. 

9 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

It was actually Murray I was meaning kept cutting inside, but you are right they were both at it.

The worry for Saturday is that there isn't much else we can do differently with the personnel.  Given we are away from home to a top division side you expect he'll stick with the two defensive midfielders of Rankin and Jacobs and soak up pressure and try and hit on the counter.  We're not exactly brimming with pace to do this though.  Of course if we do play that way and lose you'll have the usual moans that we should have "had a go", but I don't really know what changes you make to tonight's team "to have a go".  On tonight's showing Tapping doesn't deserve a start, and although Dykes was slightly less shite than Lyle tonight he's hardly the type of change to a starting XI that's going turn around our fortunes.

I suspect we might see the panic signing of McFadden before Saturday.

Tapping looks like hes trying too hard. 

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Careful now, Mustn`t over react.

I've already agreed with you that it was an awful result.

9 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

What would you personally say ranks as worse in recent history especially as a full time team?

Losing 6 at home to, then Highland League, Ross County by a country mile. We've also lost to Huntly in the cup. I'd also put pretty much any result where we conceded more than 5 on the list ahead of last night.

East Kilbride are the best non-league team in the country by some distance. They're probably better than some League Two sides.

34 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Losing 6 at home to, then Highland League, Ross County by a country mile. We've also lost to Huntly in the cup. I'd also put pretty much any result where we conceded more than 5 on the list ahead of last night.

East Kilbride are the best non-league team in the country by some distance. They're probably better than some League Two sides.

And yet, we were a ropey, part-time bottom tier side at the time of the Ross County and Huntley defeats.

The fact that we're no longer that, elevates last night in the pantheon of humiliations.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And yet, we were a ropey, part-time bottom tier side at the time of the Ross County and Huntley defeats.

The fact that we're no longer that, elevates last night in the pantheon of humiliations.

Clearly, its subjective, but I would class any defeat as worse than a draw, particularly when conceding 6 goals.

Guest Flash

Nothing wrong that a few tweaks here and there won't sort - starting with a new right back, centre back, centre mid, right winger and striker.

Everything happened in slow motion. If this is them after doing most of their training with the ball, maybe they should just revert to running up and down the terracing.

If we are getting new players, I hope the delay isn't caused by the board saving money on wages, by assuming that the current squad would be too good for Stenny, EK and Albion Rovers and writing off the Hamilton game.They seemed to do a similar thing by not appointing a manager when the games we had were v Alloa, Albion Rovers and Hibs. That worked out well. If we aren't getting new players, we're stuffed. 

20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Clearly, its subjective, but I would class any defeat as worse than a draw, particularly when conceding 6 goals.

I know about the points system for last night, but effectively, we lost.

Archived