Group G

Obviously pretty tough to put a positive spin on that result.  We should however have won it comfortably.  Aside from numerous other chances, we hit the post 3 times and there was a late Dobbie effort that I'm not sure if it was a save or off the post again as I didn't have a clear view.  At the other end Martin had as quiet a night as you will see from a goalkeeper with the defence mopping up the minimal threat posed by East Kilbride. 

Clearly plenty of work still needing done with the squad which I think we all know.  Naysmith not bringing on a third sub was probably meant as a statement to the Board about the lack of depth.

I assume we now have to pick something up at Hamilton which looks incredibly unlikely.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, palmy_cammy said:

Obviously pretty tough to put a positive spin on that result.  We should however have won it comfortably.  Aside from numerous other chances, we hit the post 3 times and there was a late Dobbie effort that I'm not sure if it was a save or off the post again as I didn't have a clear view.  At the other end Martin had as quiet a night as you will see from a goalkeeper with the defence mopping up the minimal threat posed by East Kilbride. 

Clearly plenty of work still needing done with the squad which I think we all know.  Naysmith not bringing on a third sub was probably meant as a statement to the Board about the lack of depth.

I assume we now have to pick something up at Hamilton which looks incredibly unlikely.

Pretty much this. EK came with the intention of defending for 90 minutes and we struggled to break them down. Despite that, we hit the post at least twice and created enough chances to win comfortably.

It wasnt an acceptable performance, in as much as the passing was too one paced and the wide men, in particular, didnt contribute enough in an attacking sense, but there are some massive over reactions going on over the result.

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I would think we have to win (or at least get 2 points by winning on pens :1eye) at Hamilton and also beat Albion Rovers. 

Tough to see that happening.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Pretty much this. EK came with the intention of defending for 90 minutes and we struggled to break them down. Despite that, we hit the post at least twice and created enough chances to win comfortably.

It wasnt an acceptable performance, in as much as the passing was too one paced and the wide men, in particular, didnt contribute enough in an attacking sense, but there are some massive over reactions going on over the result.

Perhaps but it is an awful result nonetheless.

lol @ Queen of the South.
Can anyone provide a brief match report from the Albion Rovers -vs- Stenhousemuir game? The SFC Twitter account is absolutely garbage for providing play-by-play information.

I was tweeting live updates from the game if you want to go on and have a look @ArbuckleSam

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Stirling drifted in and out of the game as wide men tend to do, but he looked threatening when he was involved.  Murray I'm afraid looked out of his depth which is a worry given the level our opponents play at.  I think the only other game I've seen him in was against Dundee United where at least that criticism is a bit more expected.  He kept looking to go inside too often which suited EK down to the ground as they had the middle of the park already packed out.

Getting a good pre-season out of Carmichael was essential after his injury problems, but it looks like he still isn't fit which is hugely disappointing.  Another wide player has to be pretty high up the priority list on tonight's showing.

I don't think anyone is over reacting. EK offered absolutely nothing going forward and for 90 minutes it was like a training game in which we failed to make their 'keeper sweat. 66% possession and nothing to show for it against a Lowland League side is extremely worrying. I think it's hard to not be extremely concerned with what we witnessed tonight.

As a Championship side, bEing ever so slightly pissed off at losing at home to EK Thistle is not an overreaction though. Pretty awful result even if it's still early doors.

I'd be concerned if it happened to my teM.

As a Championship side, bEing ever so slightly pissed off at losing at home to EK Thistle is not an overreaction though. Pretty awful result even if it's still early doors.

I'd be concerned if it happened to my team.

lol @ Queen of the South.
Can anyone provide a brief match report from the Albion Rovers -vs- Stenhousemuir game? The SFC Twitter account is absolutely garbage for providing play-by-play information.

Oh and the Rovers announcer gave the Stenny goal to Martin Scott but I see that the BBC and Stenny twitter feed gave it to McMenamin

Have to applaud EK so far, they have stood up against competition for 3, 4 leagues above them and competed well, despite losing on Saturday, it was no easy game. Imagine a lot of people thought, an easy 3 points, myself included. Be very surprised if they don't win the lowland again and have another crack at entering into the leagues.

First chance of watching 'Handsome Stephen Dobbie Plus 10' and my word what an omnishambles. East Kilbride were organised and we are somehow even slower in possession than before so it really couldn't have been easier for them. I don't get why we started two defensive centre mids when we had the ball all night or why we needed 4 defenders but that's just me. It was just so once paced, predictable and exactly the same as when Naysmith started. Though to be fair Rooney aside, the newer players largely looked okay. I mean failing to beat a non league side over 90 minutes is probably one of the worst results in our history regardless of how shit this format is so I think an overreaction is justifiable.

Martin - Unsurprisingly not very busy but made a good save early in the second half and looks competent. Didn't really get close to the penalties.

Rooney - Interesting hybrid player of being too shit in the air to be a centre half and not enough at the whole football thing to be a full back. Doesn't ever look up, runs into channels and can't hit a first time cross.

Brownlie - He's somehow now playing like he forgets that he is Darren Brownlie is attempting fancy passes and turns. Which is probably going to make him even more of a bombscare than before. Thought that might be just because it's East Kilbride but I do worry.

Fordyce - Steady probably too slow on the ball but with the Lidl  reduced to clear section Pique next to him, I can cope with that.

Marshall - Had all the time out wide early on but he loves a run into a cul de sac or a blocked cross.

Stirling - Actually looks like he's seen a football before. So that's promising.

Rankin - Spent more time on the ground than on the ball, his drop off in performance since January is ridiculous.

Jacobs - Did Kyle Jacobs things, kept getting on the end of crosses which is never a good thing with Kyle Jacobs. Lord knows why he took a penalty.

Murray - Took the pressure of the famous number 17 worn by the mercurial Jake Pickard and played in the spirit of the big man #respect.

Lyle - should have scored, did his usual but difficult when a side sit in with no runners.

Dobbie - Tried to do everything, don't begrudge him in the slightest for it, I wouldn't pass to those diddies.

Subs

Dykes - The Bogan Batistuta is somehow getting worse with each week, how is that even possible, especially bad was getting called offside multiple times against a deep lying team who were all knackered.

Tapping - Looked better than Rankin, woeful penalty.

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Perhaps but it is an awful result nonetheless.

It is, Im not pretending otherwise. But I dont think its as indicative of how the season is going to be as some

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Stirling drifted in and out of the game as wide men tend to do, but he looked threatening when he was involved.  Murray I'm afraid looked out of his depth which is a worry given the level our opponents play at.  I think the only other game I've seen him in was against Dundee United where at least that criticism is a bit more expected.  He kept looking to go inside too often which suited EK down to the ground as they had the middle of the park already packed out.

Getting a good pre-season out of Carmichael was essential after his injury problems, but it looks like he still isn't fit which is hugely disappointing.  Another wide player has to be pretty high up the priority list on tonight's showing.

Stirling did look good in spells but, as you say, he cut inside too often. Thats ok if you're heading towards goal but it was always square, across the box and in front of the defence, which suited them perfectly.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think anyone is over reacting. EK offered absolutely nothing going forward and for 90 minutes it was like a training game in which we failed to make their 'keeper sweat. 66% possession and nothing to show for it against a Lowland League side is extremely worrying. I think it's hard to not be extremely concerned with what we witnessed tonight.

As poor a result as it is, plenty of people are over reacting

4 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

First chance of watching 'Handsome Stephen Dobbie Plus 10' and my word what an omnishambles. East Kilbride were organised and we are somehow even slower in possession than before so it really couldn't have been easier for them. I don't get why we started two defensive centre mids when we had the ball all night or why we needed 4 defenders but that's just me. It was just so once paced, predictable and exactly the same as when Naysmith started. Though to be fair Rooney aside, the newer players largely looked okay. I mean failing to beat a non league side over 90 minutes is probably one of the worst results in our history regardless of how shit this format is so I think an overreaction is justifiable.

Martin - Unsurprisingly not very busy but made a good save early in the second half and looks competent. Didn't really get close to the penalties.

Rooney - Interesting hybrid player of being too shit in the air to be a centre half and not enough at the whole football thing to be a full back. Doesn't ever look up, runs into channels and can't hit a first time cross.

Brownlie - He's somehow now playing like he forgets that he is Darren Brownlie is attempting fancy passes and turns. Which is probably going to make him even more of a bombscare than before. Thought that might be just because it's East Kilbride but I do worry.

Fordyce - Steady probably too slow on the ball but with the Lidl  reduced to clear section Pique next to him, I can cope with that.

Marshall - Had all the time out wide early on but he loves a run into a cul de sac or a blocked cross.

Stirling - Actually looks like he's seen a football before. So that's promising.

Rankin - Spent more time on the ground than on the ball, his drop off in performance since January is ridiculous.

Jacobs - Did Kyle Jacobs things, kept getting on the end of crosses which is never a good thing with Kyle Jacobs. Lord knows why he took a penalty.

Murray - Took the pressure of the famous number 17 worn by the mercurial Jake Pickard and played in the spirit of the big man #respect.

Lyle - should have scored, did his usual but difficult when a side sit in with no runners.

Dobbie - Tried to do everything, don't begrudge him in the slightest for it, I wouldn't pass to those diddies.

Subs

Dykes - The Bogan Batistuta is somehow getting worse with each week, how is that even possible, especially bad was getting called offside multiple times against a deep lying team who were all knackered.

Tapping - Looked better than Rankin, woeful penalty.

Good job no one is over-reacting

Archived