Group G

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Mr X said:

I think that is single-handedly the most cringe worthy thing Ive ever heard on a match tannoy. Well done to the Stenny fans for taking no part in it

Please, you make it sound like the announcer was promoting the Islamic state or something, if anything it's probably more memorable than the entirety of the league cup group stage and that's the bottom line.

59 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Please, you make it sound like the announcer was promoting the Islamic state or something, if anything it's probably more memorable than the entirety of the league cup group stage and that's the bottom line.

To be fair, it would have been less offensive if he'd called us all to morning prayer before asking "Can I get an allahu akbar?"

13 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

I enjoyed him making an announcement with 15 minutes or so to go reminding everyone to stay in their seats for the penalty kicks at the end as it goes straight to penalties and not extra time first. :rolleyes:

Penalty looks soft from that footage, more of a coming together than anything.  It is clumsy from Rooney and having got wrong side of his man he forces the ref to make a decision.  There was no complaint from any of our fans who were up so presumably the correct decision.  Great header for his goal though, right in the top corner where I doubt any goalkeeper would get to it.  We could do with a few more goals from our centre-halves this season so hopefully it's the first of many.

18 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Penalty looks soft from that footage, more of a coming together than anything.  It is clumsy from Rooney and having got wrong side of his man he forces the ref to make a decision.  There was no complaint from any of our fans who were up so presumably the correct decision. 

It does look very soft from that angle. From the main stand though it appeared a two handed shove and the fact there was no complaint at all on the pitch is pretty telling. I don't think there's much doubt it was a foul.

Rooney's header is an even better one than I thought it was at the time and pretty much unstoppable. There was a massive deflection on Dobbie's first, which we knew. From that footage is there also a deflection on the second? Looks like it may have hit Mick Dunlop (no 3) on the way through.

From my position in the Stand the penalty definitely wasn't in the "he felt a slight touch and went down" category, or even shoulder to shoulder, it was a stupid challenge, strong enough to put the guy down. Protesting to the referee would have been embarrassing. I thought after the penalty incident that Rooney looked to be trying extra hard to make amends and happily he succeeded with his headed goal. He'll need to curb his enthusiasm defensively though  as he was spoken to a couple of times by the ref for fouling.

Penalty looks soft from that footage, more of a coming together than anything.  It is clumsy from Rooney and having got wrong side of his man he forces the ref to make a decision.  There was no complaint from any of our fans who were up so presumably the correct decision.  Great header for his goal though, right in the top corner where I doubt any goalkeeper would get to it.  We could do with a few more goals from our centre-halves this season so hopefully it's the first of many.

Stirling again loses his man at the throwing I think, which Rooney obviously sees and gets caught in two minds? Then ultimately on the wrong side? What it looked like to me... still a silly pen to give a way.

Not against Stirling he looked handier down left going by highlights

2 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

Stirling again loses his man at the throwing I think, which Rooney obviously sees and gets caught in two minds? Then ultimately on the wrong side? What it looked like to me... still a silly pen to give a way.

Harsh to put any blame on Stirling. Yes the player runs off him but Rooney is way out of position and loses his man before  bringing the player down. Poor by Rooney.

I`d imagine one or two of our fans will somehow find that Dykes was to blame.

Rooneys tackle was idiotic but good to see he put it behind him and performed well afterwards. 

The only other negative I saw from him was his continuous arguing with the referee over another blatant foul in the second half. Let's hope his season isn't going to be shortened by suspensions every few weeks. 

16 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Rooneys tackle was idiotic but good to see he put it behind him and performed well afterwards. 

The only other negative I saw from him was his continuous arguing with the referee over another blatant foul in the second half. Let's hope his season isn't going to be shortened by suspensions every few weeks. 

Largely agree on that. He looked better going forward than defending but he shows promise. Really good header for his goal.

His arguing with the ref was daft.

13 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

Did Stirling not go to the ball? Looked like he went to the man on the ball and Rooney failed to see the runner outside, so ended up on the wrong side of him. Certainly could have been defended better, probably by both of them, but I wouldnt blame Stirling.

10 hours ago, Broony88 said:

The arguing with the ref was stupid but he'd been penalised three or four times for very soft fouls where the number 10 went down very easily. Probably just a bit of frustration.

Against Stenny I was just hoping for a win to start us off. Tonight I'm hoping for a 3-0 win minimum. We're effectively playing a slightly better Dalbeattie Star tonight so a comfortable win shouldn't be a big ask.

I assume EK raised their game for their derby on Saturday.

My first look at the new boys and hopefully Jesse gets a run out tonight as well. EK are absolutely in with a shout if they can muster up a couple of set-pieces.

Rovers V Stenny tonight. Hopefully one of the Dunlops will forget which way he's shooting and stick one in his own net. And unless Mark Ferry has learned to pass the ball forward over the summer then we already have an extra man in midfield. Looking forward to a return to competitive action, not sure what to expect yet from this squad on the back of a few friendly games. Victoria looks up for it anyway

Archived