Group G

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We ended up winning comfortably enough eventually but we were really poor today.

Trying to play 3 central midfielders in a midfield 4 was brutal. Rankin was awful wide left first half and Tapping only fractionally better when tried out to the right second half.

Of our new players:-

Martin didn`t have much to do but looked solid enough.

Rooney looks good going forward though worringly for a RB didn`t look great defensively and awful lack of judgement to give away the penalty. Decent header for his goal.

Fordyce was OK.

Thought Stirling had some really good moments especially 2nd half when he was wide left.

We were awful today for an hour.

Dobbie scored 2 and made the other but I actually didn`t think he was up to his usual standards, though given the complete lack of service from our unbalanced midfield that is perhaps no surprise. Surely someone  other than Dobbie can deliver a decent corner. It`s madness that our best bet for a goal is taking corner kicks.

I felt a bit sorry for Dykes today. He looks bereft of confidence and our set-up did our strikers no favours. He`s becoming well established as the fans` whipping boy which won`t help.

Anyway I`d have taken 3-1 pre-match but it wasn`t pretty.

Stenny fans we spoke to were a good bunch :thumsup2

We ended up winning comfortably enough eventually but we were really poor today.
Trying to play 3 central midfielders in a midfield 4 was brutal. Rankin was awful wide left first half and Tapping only fractionally better when tried out to the right second half.
Of our new players:-
 Martin didn`t have much to do but looked solid enough.
Rooney looks good going forward though worringly for a RB didn`t look great defensively and awful lack of judgement to give away the penalty. Decent header for his goal.
Fordyce was OK.
Thought Stirling had some really good moments especially 2nd half when he was wide left.
We were awful today for an hour.
Dobbie scored 2 and made the other but I actually didn`t think he was up to his usual standards, though given the complete lack of service from our unbalanced midfield that is perhaps no surprise. Surely someone  other than Dobbie can deliver a decent corner. It`s madness that our best bet for a goal is taking corner kicks.
I felt a bit sorry for Dykes today. He looks bereft of confidence and our set-up did our strikers no favours. He`s becoming well established as the fans` whipping boy which won`t help.
Anyway I`d have taken 3-1 pre-match but it wasn`t pretty.
Stenny fans we spoke to were a good bunch :thumsup2

Your report is spot on.

Our midfield had no composure and no control of the game. That is the area of the team that desperately needs improvement. We had no shortage of honest toil in there but no class or creativity sadly. I must admit with 30 mins to go I did not see that turnaround coming despite the fact that Stenny offered virtually nothing.

Never easy to come back from one down so result was good in the end.

Although Queen of the South finished the match comfortably, I didn't think much of their performance today. Had it not been for Stephen Dobbie's contribution - a player miles ahead of anything else on the park - Queens would have struggled to break us down. The midfield of Callum Tapping and John Rankin is one-paced and lacked any penetration and although the pair might be decent at keeping the ball and recycling possession, that's about all they had to offer. Lyndon Dykes is a dumpling and some of touches were wild - why was he starting ahead of Derek Lyle? The centre-backs and the goalkeeper seemed solid but they weren't put under undue pressure. Beyond the goal and a Jimmy Scott shot from outside the area midway through the second half, Stenhousemuir weren't much of an attacking threat.

That said, I think there were positives to take from the game. We were solid enough and largely kept Queens at bay (although Dobbie eventually proved too hot to handle) and the midfield looked pretty handy. Mark Ferry did a fine job in front of the centre-backs and Thomas Halleran played well - it's good to see a player from the Forth Valley Football Academy make his mark on the team. He ran out of puff towards the end of the match - so did everyone - but I hope he'll develop and improve over the course of the season.

The games against Albion Rovers and East Kilbride will be a real barometer as to how we'll progress this year. I expected us to lose today, and I expect us to lose against Hamilton Academical, but playing the other part-time sides will be a far stronger indicator about this team's capabilities.

One touch of magic from Dobbie for the third, aside from that Queens were pedestrian at best. The opener for Stenny a penalty that was as stupid as you'll ever see, no need to go in like that when the Stenny player was going nowhere.

The leveller for Queens looked to me to take a deflection that took it past Smith - Smith looked shaky all afternoon, not commanding the box and failing to make up his mind about coming for a ball into the box led to one of the goals.

Best moment of the afternoon was the twat on the tannoy asking for the fans to do a "hell yeah" and was met with complete and utter silence. Feckin hilarious.

Archived