Group B

percyboy

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, his worst display yet still great overall. We cannot defend corners and set plays into the box.

I can think of one poorer performance he's had...

Glad I took the decision to record the game so I could watch it again. 

Joe Cardle :wub:

The penalties :lol:

Brilliant effort from our guys yesterday first off, especially when we were without Clark and Shiels. Couldn't really fault anybody; Cardle was terrific but I also thought Williamson and Smith (not Miller, Craigan) were very impressive too. Morris and Ashcroft were solid in open play but we did at times look vulnerable at set plays. Murdoch has had better games - he'll certainly be disappointed with their first - but he still made two quite fantastic saves to give us the platform to move on from.

I don't think I need to say any more about Cardle's goal but the composure from Smith, and McManus as well (I thought he'd taken one touch too many) at the second was superb. John Souttar though. Wow. Horrific stuff from him.

We passed the ball well too, and looked confident and assured. Ok, when it went 2-2 it got a bit nervy in the closing stages, but we deserved it. Especially pleasing to rip the pish in the world's most pointless shoot-out too.

Hearts though. I suggested to a Peterhead fan who opined we'd get through that our hideous Tynecastle record shouldn't be underestimated. But I clearly underestimated how abysmal they are. 

Their sole tactic was to go long as early as possible for Lafferty (up ye) or hope for something off a set piece. Berra I think will be very important for them because he was the best of a defence that looked at sixes and sevens. 

Hearts looked devoid of confidence, cohesion or ideas. I thought it was great they went for an appointment like Cathro, and I wanted him to succeed, but I think the job of managing a club of that size is too much for him. He's clearly lost the majority of their fans as well, as noticeable at the abuse he was getting before the penalties, and the booing in the Diggers afterwards when his face appeared on screen.

Quite the novelty to come away from Gorgie with something other than disappointment and misery. I'm sure that's also the first I've watched us score more than one goal in a game there too :lol:

Top day / night out sampling a fair few pubs and probably too much beer. The Jambos though were good chat throughout.

Just to finish - that miss at the end.

:lol:

4 minutes ago, milton75 said:

I believe even Dunfermline have some part-time players these days. 

1. They don't.

2. Part-time players are professional.

The only non-professional team in the tournament are Queen's Park.

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

1. I'll take your word for it. Radio Scotland said different, but they're often wrong tbf.

2. No, they're semi-professional if not full time.

3. Don't make me come down there.

Why do they call it the Scottish Professional Football league then (although I suppose queens park do play in it and they are amateur but that seems more like a historical thing)?

I also thought seniors were professional, juniors were semi-pro and amateurs were amateurs tbh and was based more on the level you played at rather than part time/full time structure of the club. At the moment we have semi pro teams playing in the championship and pro teams playing in league one going by the part time/full time definition which doesn't seem right.

Good question, and short answer is that I don't know. It's just the terminology the way I've always used it (not that that makes it right).

I just googled part time players are professional to see what came up and the first thing is this Guardian article:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/feb/09/football-league-part-time-regional

...which seems to indicate that if you're holding down another job, then you're a semi-pro footballer. But I can't say for certain that the writer of the article is 100% correct either.

Edit: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-professional

So aye, semi-pro

1. I'll take your word for it. Radio Scotland said different, but they're often wrong tbf.
2. No, they're semi-professional if not full time.
3. Don't make me come down there.

Radio Scotland said we had part time players? What in the fuckity f**k?

And then people believed that? Mental.

Archived