Group H

We didn't half make heavy weather of that...

Pre-game, I suspected that it would be a relatively tight affair. I thought the pitch looked bumpy during the warm up and you could see that the ball wasn't always running true. That was the same for both teams though so not exactly mitigation of our rather shabby overall performance. I've often found that we suffer a bit of a hangover after a resounding victory like Saturday's.

Once Dools scored, I thought we might have pushed on and built on that which we eventually did through Spittal's goal but the performance was laboured.

The second half was dire and all credit to a young, rather makeshift Airdrie team for pulling themselves back into the game and making it a nervy conclusion. I liked the Airdrie right back last season and thought he was impressive going forward again tonight.

For us, I'll refrain from much forensic analysis of our performance; it's ultimately about getting into the next round. But if anyone needed any further evidence of how God awful a central midfielder Ryan Edwards is, they need only have watched this evening; little movement off the ball, not showing for the ball, runs to absolutely nowhere which did nothing to make space for his teammates, poor in possession - the best thing he did all night was get in the way of Dools resulting in his substitution. Edwards has value as a squad player but he is patently incapable of playing central midfield and I think he lacks the quality to play further forward. 

Barton will never rip up any trees as a midfielder but is as fine a sweeper as I've ever seen; can't see him playing midfield if Osman and Bannigan are fit.

Young Penrice acquitted himself very well at centre half. Had thought previously that his defensive game was an area needing improvement and tonight will have only benefited him.

On a final note, some folk seem to be taking these games altogether too seriously. I accept that it's a cup competition but there has to be an allowance for the fact it's so early on in the season. We're not up to speed yet despite Saturday's impressive showing - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have only seen us vs Partick, so immensely pleasing to hear we've ground out three wins in different fashions to win the group. Might only be pre-season to an extent but to only drop one point in this group is a mighty fine achievement for this group of players. My only fear is that this amplifies folks' expectations for the season ahead; I would still take 8th place, on goal difference, if offered it the now.

Hopefully we get a decent draw in the last 16, either a tie with a good chance of progression or the proverbial money spinner.

9 hours ago, ATLIS said:

we were toying with your youngsters for 70 minutes? It would've been 9 if we hadn't have been fucking around

Seriously? They said they wanted the same commitment. Not that we outplayed you or deserved anything. Replied earlier with the same - you can be committed and still lose to a better team. That's not a difficult concept to grasp is it?? As it is they were absolutely right about last night. We put the commitment in and were unlucky not to get a draw.

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your school holidays ("amber maaaacccchhhiiiiinnnneee"). 

20 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Seriously? They said they wanted the same commitment. Not that we outplayed you or deserved anything. Replied earlier with the same - you can be committed and still lose to a better team. That's not a difficult concept to grasp is it?? As it is they were absolutely right about last night. We put the commitment in and were unlucky not to get a draw.

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your school holidays ("amber maaaacccchhhiiiiinnnneee"). 

Personally I think they're winding you up. Your boys weren't great but also they weren't bad; maybe a little naive at times though.

Actually I was looking out for Cammy Russell having heard some good things about him; unfortunately this wasn't really his game.

In general I though your tactics were wrong as opposed to any lack of effort from the players in what was increasingly poor conditions. I'm sure once things settle down thing will improve, perhaps under new management, and the thing about having a young team is the prospect for  improvement is always there if you can keep hold of your rough diamonds (pun intended).

Good luck for the rest of the season

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Is it fair to say a thistle win at home against Stranraer guarantees the jags a best runner up spot

That's not only fair, that's mathematical fact

41 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Personally I think they're winding you up. Your boys weren't great but also they weren't bad; maybe a little naive at times though.

Actually I was looking out for Cammy Russell having heard some good things about him; unfortunately this wasn't really his game.

In general I though your tactics were wrong as opposed to any lack of effort from the players in what was increasingly poor conditions. I'm sure once things settle down thing will improve, perhaps under new management, and the thing about having a young team is the prospect for  improvement is always there if you can keep hold of your rough diamonds (pun intended).

Good luck for the rest of the season

It's just seems to be the Livingston way (no offence!) - bad losers, even worse winners. Granted it's limited to just a few. 

No complaints with the result Saturday - or last night really. The effort against Thistle especially was great - if we can keep that up we might be ok. The squads paper thin though and we need a proper manager desperately.

It may be we have to sacrifice Andy Ryan and use the money to pad things out. I'd hate to see that happen right enough as i think that puts us straight into a relegation battle. Feels inevitable mind you. Wouldn't surprise me if he was to end up at Livvi but I'd hope it'll be for around £50k at least with money up front. I think he'd do well in the Championship should he end up moving. 

8 hours ago, Afro said:

Have only seen us vs Partick, so immensely pleasing to hear we've ground out three wins in different fashions to win the group. Might only be pre-season to an extent but to only drop one point in this group is a mighty fine achievement for this group of players. My only fear is that this amplifies folks' expectations for the season ahead; I would still take 8th place, on goal difference, if offered it the now.

Hopefully we get a decent draw in the last 16, either a tie with a good chance of progression or the proverbial money spinner.

No chance of Livi getting relegated,you will probably be in a wee group with QOS and Morton for 6th to 8th.The bottom 2 will be Dumbarton and Brechin.I have fears for those 2 this season,I think they might get some thrashings from the likes of Dundee Utd,Falkirk etc,they don't seem to have any strikers and although very early some of there results in the Betfred have been shocking.I think Livi have got a couple of strikers who will score in the Championship,always a handy thing in any League.

Does that void one of our wins?
Rules for this cup are more confusing than I thought. 

I'm just being pedantic. Livi received the bonus point for the penalty shoot out. If they had won game they would have received 3 points and Thistle none. 2 and 1 point was distrubted
Anyway impressive start to season for Livi and good luck in cup progression and impending league. Defo dark horse for top 4

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'm just being pedantic. Livi received the bonus point for the penalty shoot out. If they had won game they would have received 3 points and Thistle none. 2 and 1 point was distrubted
Anyway impressive start to season for Livi and good luck in cup progression and impending league. Defo dark horse for top 4

We've still won 3 games though :lol:

Airdrie fans still as precious as ever I see, that and the fact they're still in a huff because they couldn't catch us in our romp to the title last season. Good to see.

3 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

No chance of Livi getting relegated,you will probably be in a wee group with QOS and Morton for 6th to 8th.The bottom 2 will be Dumbarton and Brechin.I have fears for those 2 this season,I think they might get some thrashings from the likes of Dundee Utd,Falkirk etc,they don't seem to have any strikers and although very early some of there results in the Betfred have been shocking.I think Livi have got a couple of strikers who will score in the Championship,always a handy thing in any League.

That's about where i'm at with how we'll do this season too. Hoping we can make a push for a top 4 spot too but anywhere between 6th to 8th would be a great season for us.

Airdrie fans still as precious as ever I see, that and the fact they're still in a huff because they couldn't catch us in our romp to the title last season. Good to see.

Don't think anyone mentioned last year or even Livingston for that matter, did they ? Most pointing out we are happy with the team under the current circumstances.

I was worried that we would end up with 0 points in this group. To sit on a win and the performance from last night makes the future, on the park at least, a little less bleak.

Looking forward to Saturday now. Although nothing to play for, I think St.Mirren and especially Jack Ross will want to win this one and handsomely. Another performance like last night will do me, to take us into the start of the league.

6 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

It's just seems to be the Livingston way (no offence!) - bad losers, even worse winners. Granted it's limited to just a few. 

No complaints with the result Saturday - or last night really. The effort against Thistle especially was great - if we can keep that up we might be ok. The squads paper thin though and we need a proper manager desperately.

It may be we have to sacrifice Andy Ryan and use the money to pad things out. I'd hate to see that happen right enough as i think that puts us straight into a relegation battle. Feels inevitable mind you. Wouldn't surprise me if he was to end up at Livvi but I'd hope it'll be for around £50k at least with money up front. I think he'd do well in the Championship should he end up moving. 

To be honest, it's all a bit of banter. Just having a laugh

But seriously, if Airdrie are offering us Ryan for 45k they'll be lucky to break 35k

Archived