Group H

Our fans overreacting to a penalty defeat is hardly a shock given c***s actually booed at half time on Tuesday when we were trailing to Dumbarton.

Felt we had the chances to kill the game off in the first half, disallowed goal aside. Great goal from Squiddy.

That second half performance, however, was absolute torture - Livi were growing into the game towards the end of the first half, forcing Cerny into a good save before Jacobs scored right at the start of what the PA announcer called "the brand new half" (:lol:)

Livi look a decent side though, and I fancy them to have a good season off the back of that. Not much for us to be concerned about, we strolled the group stage of this last season and were pish until about December, it's not that much of a barometer for how things go.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Defence was at 6's and 7's early on, we got away with slack defending a few minutes before Gallagher got caught on the ball and then turned inside out for the opener. Pitts should've equalised just before HT though and didn't see what was wrong with our disallowed goal either. Same ref as our midweek friendly with Sunderland and just as bad a performance.

Cracking goal from Keaghan to finally get our first goal of the season, bit disappointed we didn't take all 3 points though, at least we got the bonus point, Alexander is class.

Can't disagree with anything here, really. Great finish from Erskine to open the scoring, and we were the better team in the first half with a few really good chances, but Livi started to come into it towards the end. Then in the second half they were all over us, and can probably feel aggrieved not to have won the game.

Livi were pretty impressive all-round. Neil Alexander is quality and will win you a lot of points in the way that Cerny does for us.

Ref had a stinker. Blatantly wrong decisions all over the place.

That second half was absolutely brutal. We were comfortable for the first half hour, then Livingston grew into the game and deservedly ended up with the #LeagueCupPenaltyShootOutBonanza point.

Cerny and Bannigan were the only players to get pass marks. Edwards and Elliott were abysmal.

League Cup is shite. Celtic are going to win it anyway, so there's no point in trying. Would much rather we focussed on our title challenge.

Stranraer vs St Mirren

The first time I've seen them this season, so the usual caveats apply; not match fit, still gelling, not complete squad, yadda, yadda, etc...

We were poor in the first 20 minutes especially and in patches throughout the game. The pitch was in great condition if a little bobbly, but there was football to be played and in the first quarter of the match it was Stranraer doing that. They got their goal from a foul, the #23 barged into Stewart (I think) with his hip on the ref's blind side (it wasn't the linesman's blind side mind... but yeah, nm). He then took the ball into a one on one situation with Buchanan and passed it across to Agnew to easily put it past Samson. I don't mind Agnew scoring, I quite liked him in a Saints shirt but it never happened for him. Buchanan, for me, was a complete mess for the first 45 and to be honest I don't think he improved all that much after that. He scored a goal, so I shouldn't be so harsh, but it was an easy one as he just towered over the home defence. I mean he wasn't "Mo Camara" bad, but then again few are.

The Stranraer #23 was their best player imo, always causing us problems and worryingly easily getting past Irvine. I like Irvine but I wonder if perhaps this will be the season his legs go as he didn't seem to have the puff to match anyone. An ageing right back that has a storming season only to fade the next? Doesn't that sound familiar. ie: Mr Ross himself! For some reason they didn't use him much which seems odd as he was clearly getting the run of our back right.

Stewart looked interesting. He was very bright to start, had a fall, hurt his shoulder and after that seemed to lessen off a little. The interesting part was his usage in the team. Samson being back means one thing, dreadful ball distribution, however it was pretty clear the main out was to Stewart, who at 9 foot 2 inches tall was easily able to get a head to it. Considering Samson's previous ball distribution with us then any improvement would be a very welcome thing. Good to see Ross recognises this. He even managed a goal while playing out right albeit it was more a scramble than a dedicated hit. Stewart as a striker is something altogether, though. When Reilly went off (or was it Smith), he moved over to the centre and had two very good chances to add to his tally, both he missed. One of which was a "it was easier to score" situations yet he allowed the keeper to narrow down the angle and shot weakly.

McShane was good, in a "I'm less of a dirty b*****d than Andy Millen" manner. He does the same job as Millen did. Break up play, use simple passes and generally keep the midfield ticking over. It allowed McGinn (a fatter and balder McGinn - but, hey, that's probably an accusation you could lay at all of us!) some more freedom. He was replaced by Quinn (clearly Ross wishing to maintain the level of guido beards on the pitch) who tried to do the same job but was almost immediately booked for his troubles. I do wonder if Quinn's time at  St Mirren is coming to a close.

Kirkpatrick and Hilson (I think it was anyway) were pretty bright. Difficult to tell as they came on late(ish) while we were well in control. Hilson looked quite direct and Kirkpatrick had no problems seeking the corner and going for a cross. One of them had a ball come to them in the box and lamely shot at the keeper, but other than that I thought they were decent.

Samson was fine. I mean the man has no soul so fair play to him for carrying on regardless. A couple of decent saves that were perhaps a little "for the camera" but that's all he needed to do. Beaten easily for Stranraer's goal but Buchanan giving the #23 as much room as he wanted was the catalyst, and as I said it's good Ross looking at the distribution. Perhaps it's Langfield that's doing that however the irony is that Langfield's distribution was worse than Samson's by quite some bit.

Ultimately you look at a awkward (not tough, but awkward) Stranraer side in the first competitive game of the season and coming away from home with a 4-1 win and think, "that'll do pig" and indeed it will - especially with PT/LV drawing - but deep down every Saints fan that watched the game will have the underlying feeling that if either Stranraer made a proper fist of things or if the opposition were of greater quality (sorry Stranraer fans, no insult intended) then we would have struggled in that game. Ross spoke of character to come back from  a goal down, personally my take on it was Stranraer never pushed their advantage and could have.

From a Stranraer point of view, it's hard to see how this team won't put up a decent fight in league one. Their substitutes looked decent #7 (not sure if sub or just that I hadn't seen him  in the first half) seemed good albeit got a (perhaps softish) booking right away which calmed him down a little, and their #24? I think it was #24. It was the black lad but I hate using just his colour to identify him. Either way he  looks like he could be good if he got a run of games. In fact if only Stranraer had shown the level of effort once the subs came on during the first 20-30 minutes I feel we'd be talking a different scoreline completely. For me their #23 was easily the biggest threat to us.

Other musings:

Dayglo boots. No. Buchanan, if you are going to have a bad game, don't do it in boots that shine like the fucking core of the Sun.

That away strip would be considered honking if we hadn't entertained that clusterfuck of a mess from JD Sports a few years back. In comparison the chef's bloody checks is reasonably restrained despite looking awful.

Lots of people complaining about Stranraer time wasting, and yes they were - more or less from right after the opening goal in 5 mins or so, but for me we allowed them to use that tactic. If we hadn't conceded they wouldn't have done that. The fault is ours not theirs.

^^^^ Jesus fucking wept no wonder we get tagged St Boo by other fans when you see a moaning bitchfest like the above.

Its hard to believe that we actually won 4-1 away and this is the kind of response to our first competitive outing.

39 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

^^^^ Jesus fucking wept no wonder we get tagged St Boo by other fans when you see a moaning bitchfest like the above.

Its hard to believe that we actually won 4-1 away and this is the kind of response to our first competitive outing.

:lol: ,, that isn't even close to being a boo boy post ya dafty! The only person I think I gave a hard time was Buchanan, who I think will admit himself didn't have a great game.

If you walked away from that game completely happy that it was a great performance by us, then I am really happy for you. You say this was the first competitive match for us, you are right, but it was also the first competitive match for Stranraer.

Stranraer vs St Mirren
The first time I've seen them this season, so the usual caveats apply; not match fit, still gelling, not complete squad, yadda, yadda, etc...
We were poor in the first 20 minutes especially and in patches throughout the game. The pitch was in great condition if a little bobbly, but there was football to be played and in the first quarter of the match it was Stranraer doing that. They got their goal from a foul, the #23 barged into Stewart (I think) with his hip on the ref's blind side (it wasn't the linesman's blind side mind... but yeah, nm). He then took the ball into a one on one situation with Buchanan and passed it across to Agnew to easily put it past Samson. I don't mind Agnew scoring, I quite liked him in a Saints shirt but it never happened for him. Buchanan, for me, was a complete mess for the first 45 and to be honest I don't think he improved all that much after that. He scored a goal, so I shouldn't be so harsh, but it was an easy one as he just towered over the home defence. I mean he wasn't "Mo Camara" bad, but then again few are.
The Stranraer #23 was their best player imo, always causing us problems and worryingly easily getting past Irvine. I like Irvine but I wonder if perhaps this will be the season his legs go as he didn't seem to have the puff to match anyone. An ageing right back that has a storming season only to fade the next? Doesn't that sound familiar. ie: Mr Ross himself! For some reason they didn't use him much which seems odd as he was clearly getting the run of our back right.
Stewart looked interesting. He was very bright to start, had a fall, hurt his shoulder and after that seemed to lessen off a little. The interesting part was his usage in the team. Samson being back means one thing, dreadful ball distribution, however it was pretty clear the main out was to Stewart, who at 9 foot 2 inches tall was easily able to get a head to it. Considering Samson's previous ball distribution with us then any improvement would be a very welcome thing. Good to see Ross recognises this. He even managed a goal while playing out right albeit it was more a scramble than a dedicated hit. Stewart as a striker is something altogether, though. When Reilly went off (or was it Smith), he moved over to the centre and had two very good chances to add to his tally, both he missed. One of which was a "it was easier to score" situations yet he allowed the keeper to narrow down the angle and shot weakly.
McShane was good, in a "I'm less of a dirty b*****d than Andy Millen" manner. He does the same job as Millen did. Break up play, use simple passes and generally keep the midfield ticking over. It allowed McGinn (a fatter and balder McGinn - but, hey, that's probably an accusation you could lay at all of us!) some more freedom. He was replaced by Quinn (clearly Ross wishing to maintain the level of guido beards on the pitch) who tried to do the same job but was almost immediately booked for his troubles. I do wonder if Quinn's time at  St Mirren is coming to a close.
Kirkpatrick and Hilson (I think it was anyway) were pretty bright. Difficult to tell as they came on late(ish) while we were well in control. Hilson looked quite direct and Kirkpatrick had no problems seeking the corner and going for a cross. One of them had a ball come to them in the box and lamely shot at the keeper, but other than that I thought they were decent.
Samson was fine. I mean the man has no soul so fair play to him for carrying on regardless. A couple of decent saves that were perhaps a little "for the camera" but that's all he needed to do. Beaten easily for Stranraer's goal but Buchanan giving the #23 as much room as he wanted was the catalyst, and as I said it's good Ross looking at the distribution. Perhaps it's Langfield that's doing that however the irony is that Langfield's distribution was worse than Samson's by quite some bit.
Ultimately you look at a awkward (not tough, but awkward) Stranraer side in the first competitive game of the season and coming away from home with a 4-1 win and think, "that'll do pig" and indeed it will - especially with PT/LV drawing - but deep down every Saints fan that watched the game will have the underlying feeling that if either Stranraer made a proper fist of things or if the opposition were of greater quality (sorry Stranraer fans, no insult intended) then we would have struggled in that game. Ross spoke of character to come back from  a goal down, personally my take on it was Stranraer never pushed their advantage and could have.
From a Stranraer point of view, it's hard to see how this team won't put up a decent fight in league one. Their substitutes looked decent #7 (not sure if sub or just that I hadn't seen him  in the first half) seemed good albeit got a (perhaps softish) booking right away which calmed him down a little, and their #24? I think it was #24. It was the black lad but I hate using just his colour to identify him. Either way he  looks like he could be good if he got a run of games. In fact if only Stranraer had shown the level of effort once the subs came on during the first 20-30 minutes I feel we'd be talking a different scoreline completely. For me their #23 was easily the biggest threat to us.

Other musings:
Dayglo boots. No. Buchanan, if you are going to have a bad game, don't do it in boots that shine like the fucking core of the Sun.
That away strip would be considered honking if we hadn't entertained that clusterfuck of a mess from JD Sports a few years back. In comparison the chef's bloody checks is reasonably restrained despite looking awful.
Lots of people complaining about Stranraer time wasting, and yes they were - more or less from right after the opening goal in 5 mins or so, but for me we allowed them to use that tactic. If we hadn't conceded they wouldn't have done that. The fault is ours not theirs.

What did I just read? On behalf of every other saints fan, please never take up sports journalism.

7 minutes ago, DWBud said:

What did I just read? On behalf of every other saints fan, please never take up sports journalism.

Because your posts would win a Pulitzer, right? 8)

Seriously if people saw that game differently than I, then I have no problems with it, but to me that's how the game looked.

31 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

:lol: ,, that isn't even close to being a boo boy post ya dafty! The only person I think I gave a hard time was Buchanan, who I think will admit himself didn't have a great game.

If you walked away from that game completely happy that it was a great performance by us, then I am really happy for you. You say this was the first competitive match for us, you are right, but it was also the first competitive match for Stranraer.

You might want to have another read through your own post of before describing anyone else as a dafty.:lol:

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

You might want to have another read through your own post of before describing anyone else as a dafty.:lol:

It's OK, I get it. You were just too busy waiting for stuff to arrive at the food kiosk to watch the game. .. ;)

Stranraer vs St Mirren

It allowed McGinn (a fatter and balder McGinn - but, hey, that's probably an accusation you could lay at all of us!) some more freedom.

All of us, maybe. McGinn, no. McGinn's BMI is possibly one of the weirdest and most unfounded moans from a Saints fan to date.

Also, Hilson wasn't in the squad.

Thoroughly enjoyed making well in excess of 2k pure profit on the Stranraer game on Saturday backing saints heavily at 4/6 90 mins 15/8  -1 & 9/2  -2.  Fancy us to nick this 1 by the odd goal as Livi will cause problems for our defence and Alexander is guaranteed to play a blinder aswell, personally cannot wait for tomorrow night and am glad our fantastic manager is taking this shit serious COYS !!!!!

15 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Maybe he won't.

I could be a pedant and point out he wasn't saying _he_ had a good game, just a good start.. ;)

I'm far from claiming he is useless to us, not in the slightest, just saying (for me) he was poor. He's played much better against us, as a comparison.

14 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

All of us, maybe. McGinn, no. McGinn's BMI is possibly one of the weirdest and most unfounded moans from a Saints fan to date.

Also, Hilson wasn't in the squad.

To me McGinn looked like he was carrying a little. He certainly never played badly, so it's no comment on that. It was more a throwaway comment. As for Hilson (I didn't see a team sheet) who were the three subs? Quinn, Kirkpatrick and whom.. ? Whoever it was I thought they were pretty bright for the time they had on the pitch.

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Stranraer are 3/1 away at managerless, playerless, pennyless Airdrie tomorrow night.
I'm no massive gambler but that looks a tasty price.

The problem is the wildcard of a managerless team, not that Stranraer have a good chance - and at 3/1 from what I saw from them (and admittedly without seeing anything of Airdrie) I'd say it's certainly worth a punt if you have the spare cash.

Archived