League Cup Group E

Another positive spin I'd like to put on things - shock horror - is that the players responded acceptingly to the advice they were given from the sidelines. And, where we had players playing in unfamiliar roles, or where we simply had players underperforming, they were being given decent instructions from the dugout and not unrelenting criticism.

That is a marked difference from last season. Ferguson had been taking a leaf out of Taylor Swift's book: he made the good boys bad for a weekend.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with most of the Clyde posters on the performance. Really good first half but stood off far too much for all three goals in the second half. The boy Home at RB seems to have a real lack of pace, lost count of how many times he was left for dead.

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

Good spirited performance from us in the first half. Got to be happy with that against a full-time SPL team midweek. We set ourselves up well with the extra man at the back reaping benefits. Of course, we could've have ten in midfield and Killie would still have breezed through us. That's something that desperately needs fixed before the league gets going. 

We got a lot of joy from Home beating his opposite number in the air on the dugout-side: knock-downs got Miller and Goodwillie in play, giving us a foothold high up the pitch. That's basically where our goals came from.

What else can you say? Bookings picked up in the first-half arguably made for bad decisions like removing Miller. However, I'd have done the same because his sending-off seemed imminent and fresh-legs seemed necessary. Ironically, it wasn't Stewart that anyone would've figured for an early bath.

Second-half was a predestined thing, I think. We don't have the means to shut a team like Killie out. We tired. They didn't. They'd pace and energy in midfield, we'd most of spent ours.

Otherwise... Happy with the back three/five. Wasn't as assured as it was against Airdrie but still, Breslin and McNiff's weaknesses were well mitigated in it. Nicoll wasn't himself. He got unsettled early doors and never really came to impose himself as he'd like. Having said that, he still done alright in the circumstances. I think it's increasingly evident why you wouldn't want him in midfield despite his grit.

Couple of midfielders in there and that team could get promoted. By the way... Mega plaudits for David Goodwillie. Great technique to hold-up play; very dogged about his game tonight. It must be galling for Kilmarnock to realise that we've a better centre-forward than they do.

Lastly, kudos to Chapman, Joyce and the players at the end. Bit of the rapport building with the fans hurts nobody. Mon' the Clyde.

Not really galling considering he's a rapist and we just pumped you. 

Watching that, 3 good goals from Ayr's point of view. Even though the first was an og the build up was really well done. If Crawford had shooting boots he could be looking at well into double figures for the season going by the first two games!
Thought it was a pretty soft free lick for Dumbarton's goal but didn't see anything wrong with the one they had disallowed. Hart just has to be stronger there.

17 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Watching that, 3 good goals from Ayr's point of view. Even though the first was an og the build up was really well done. If Crawford had shooting boots he could be looking at well into double figures for the season going by the first two games!
Thought it was a pretty soft free lick for Dumbarton's goal but didn't see anything wrong with the one they had disallowed. Hart just has to be stronger there.

Looking at the highlights I didn't see much wrong with Dumbarton's disallowed goal.

Don't think Hart was very well positioned at their goal either. Was a couple of other moments where he seemed to get away with things too.

would be happier if we had a more experienced keeper as backup, not sure Lyle Avicci is going to pressure Hart for a starting spot.

Having seen the highlights I forgot how many glorious chances we created, especially early on. Fair play to Ayr though, the Dowie og was really well worked and both goals in the second half look as good as I remember him.

The game obviously changed when Mango had his goal disallowed. At the time I couldn't believe it, but thought something might pop up on the highlights. Nothing has. It's a dreadful decision by Barry Cook. Hart just doesn't anticipate the ball's direction, and is caught flat footed. There were far more 'fouls' on Greg Fleming in the 4-4 game in December.

If it was a league game I'd be seething, but because it's a Betfred Cup thing it's not the end of the world. I suspect our midfield would've struggled to hold on anyway, but it's frustrating to see things like that happening - even this early in the season.

Based on the highlights we look really good:

- Crawford getting into very good positions

- trickery of mcdaid continues although the keeper should've probably saved it

- some nice passing play and link up with the strikers

- Andy geggan [emoji7]

On a more cautious note:

- our keeper has now parried a couple of saves back into the danger area over the two games, and didn't really do much with crosses

- Adams looked a bit unsteady , diving in early on and easily beaten for their disallowed goal (which probably should've stood)

Kilmarnocks best player last night was the ref, always hard playing with 10 men against a full time team let alone when they have 12 players....13 if you count Boyds gut

Clyde were beaten well before they went down to 10 men, stop kidding yourself on.

Clyde were beaten well before they went down to 10 men, stop kidding yourself on.

We were well beaten when the ref shat out of giving Goodwillie a pen at 3-2 then you scored to make it 4-2 a minute or two later.

Archived