League Cup Group E

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Comfortable victories against Ayr and Dumbarton should see us through.

It should do, unfortunately you couldn't beat us last year when we were shit so you'll no beat us now when we're better.

As for Dumbarton you might get lucky.

First time at rugby park tonight lovely stadium, realistically just wanted to see a positive performance by us after last week and definitely got it plenty of positives.. we should have got a penalty and Stewart should never have been sent off in a million years.. not singling out anyone coz thought we played great as a team, mon the fuckin Clyde roll on the dumbos :thumsup2

I thought the ref was just going to show a yellow I was suddenly  somewhat bemused at the red. On the penalty claim for Goodwillie I thought it was but I don't think he was ever going to give it because of who it is.  Deserved the lead at half time but never got into the game second half and killie took full advantage of our lapses of concentration. 

Good spirited performance from us in the first half. Got to be happy with that against a full-time SPL team midweek. We set ourselves up well with the extra man at the back reaping benefits. Of course, we could've have ten in midfield and Killie would still have breezed through us. That's something that desperately needs fixed before the league gets going. 

We got a lot of joy from Home beating his opposite number in the air on the dugout-side: knock-downs got Miller and Goodwillie in play, giving us a foothold high up the pitch. That's basically where our goals came from.

What else can you say? Bookings picked up in the first-half arguably made for bad decisions like removing Miller. However, I'd have done the same because his sending-off seemed imminent and fresh-legs seemed necessary. Ironically, it wasn't Stewart that anyone would've figured for an early bath.

Second-half was a predestined thing, I think. We don't have the means to shut a team like Killie out. We tired. They didn't. They'd pace and energy in midfield, we'd most of spent ours.

Otherwise... Happy with the back three/five. Wasn't as assured as it was against Airdrie but still, Breslin and McNiff's weaknesses were well mitigated in it. Nicoll wasn't himself. He got unsettled early doors and never really came to impose himself as he'd like. Having said that, he still done alright in the circumstances. I think it's increasingly evident why you wouldn't want him in midfield despite his grit.

Couple of midfielders in there and that team could get promoted. By the way... Mega plaudits for David Goodwillie. Great technique to hold-up play; very dogged about his game tonight. It must be galling for Kilmarnock to realise that we've a better centre-forward than they do.

Lastly, kudos to Chapman, Joyce and the players at the end. Bit of the rapport building with the fans hurts nobody. Mon' the Clyde.

Great 1st half from us but completely ran out of legs. We looked tired at half time due to the effort they in.

Ultimately some very good goals won the match for Killie but defensively we allowed far too much space at the edge of the box for all 3.

The red card didn't affect the outcome but was a booking all day long. Think the Killie players were shocked too. The penalty shout looked a pen from the angle I had. Could have made it 3-3 and gave us something to build on again.

Definite improvement from us and still enough work to be done to keep Chapman and backroom staff busy over the next few weeks.

6 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

You have to predict that when they eventually become teenagers they realise how much the posts they make embarrass themselves and their fellow fans - for hope's sake.

Did you ever find out what numpty set off the smoke bomb on Friday?

Killie fans, class act all the way.

First time at rugby park tonight lovely stadium, realistically just wanted to see a positive performance by us after last week and definitely got it plenty of positives.. we should have got a penalty and Stewart should never have been sent off in a million years.. not singling out anyone coz thought we played great as a team, mon the fuckin Clyde roll on the dumbos :thumsup2

Penalty? Really? .... that'll be why Goodwillie got booked for diving [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

More positives than negatives for Clyde tonight. I do think that the manager got the double substitution wrong though. He opened up the middle of the pitch to get extra players out wide; there was absolutely no threat coming from Killie's width; the threat came when the wide players moved inside. The back three was too deep (I blame Nicoll for that); there's no point leaving no space in behind if the opposition aren't looking to run in behind, and then that was compounded by having Flynn and Ramsay (two attacking midfielders) playing centrally and leaving space in front of the back three. With Burke in that space, and the wide players also moving inside, we basically gave up the same goal a couple of times and could've conceded more. Some great finishes in there regardless and Kilmarnock will probably feel that they'd have won regardless of what Clyde did. 

Home will be a solid enough player in League 2. McNiff and Breslin both played well. Miller excellent until subbed. Goodwillie was our man of the match by miles though; a phenomenal performance. Ramsay took his goal superbly and is probably the only other one (along with Goodwillie and Miller's set pieces) who looks like being a game changer.

Kilmarnock; Frizzell and Taylor second half were good once the plodder had been removed at the break. Jones tonnes of pace and skill but absolutely no end product until the late shot off the bar. Kris Boyd :lol: 

Finally, Craig Charleston is absolute proof that the levels of evaluation and consequence within the refereeing community are not good enough. Perhaps even non-existent. I've not seen a single game where he hasn't made serious errors. Ignoring the penalty shout/red card, he managed to miss a blatant foul on Goodwillie just before one of the goals, somehow didn't book Higgins until right near the end, unbelievably ignored the linesman when Goodwillie shoved the Killie player in the first half, not booking the Killie player for the swipe at Goodwillie right on full-time. Takes a lot for me to moan about a referee but he's a complete joke.

Archived