Group D

Arbroath certainly didn't look any worse than us. Doubt they'll be in any trouble in the league or, if they are, we might be too  :shutup

Renton had a shocker. Hopefully he can recover quickly, as he's looking like an increasingly strange signing. Martin and McDonald looked as good as anything else we've got when they came on. Not sure what the problem with McD is, aside from one dodgy punch from a corner - we've known he's less than dominant in the air for years, and I thought he had a good game otherwise.

Anyway, the main problem is clearly that Jim needs to grow that beard back pronto. Not sure what the f**k he was thinking.

Edit: despite the result, I'm quite liking this League Cup format. It's nice to get a few competitive games in before the league starts, we're guaranteed at least one game against a "big team", and it beats getting papped out in the first round by a team we'll play another four times before the season's over (if we're lucky). There's a refreshing lack of shoehorned foreign diddies and children's teams too.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arbroath certainly didn't look any worse than us. Doubt they'll be in any trouble in the league or, if they are, we might be too  :shutup
Renton had a shocker. Hopefully he can recover quickly, as he's looking like an increasingly strange signing. Martin and McDonald looked as good as anything else we've got when they came on. Not sure what the problem with McD is, aside from one dodgy punch from a corner - we've known he's less than dominant in the air for years, and I thought he had a good game otherwise.
Anyway, the main problem is clearly that Jim needs to grow that beard back pronto. Not sure what the f**k he was thinking.

We just need some extra cover and we'll be fine. If our keeper had to go off there nobody was on the bench to replace him... and after Hammy went off we had to shuffle our whole team around to cover for it. You really got on top after that.

McCord hasn't done a thing so far this pre season and Whatley got his first minutes tonight. Expect us to be sharper than that and a stronger line up next time we visit.

Your back up keeper was pretty dodgy at times, also thought you guys got plenty of balls into the box but we dealt with it pretty well. You don't seem to have anyone that'll run in behind up top which leaves you resorting to crosses into the box from the wingers and full backs all the time. If you could sort that out I think you could do pretty well.

These games are looking more like friendlies than cup matches since they changed it to the group setup.
Montrose had a threadbare team tonight with youth players filling the gaps and a pathetic crowd of just over 400 turned up to watch.
I wish they would stop fecking around with the Scottish cup competitions and give us straight knock-out a few weeks later into the season.
No idea how we are going to shape up for the league campaign, but we really need to boost that squad pronto.

The group set up has been a great change tbf. What's the difference between being in a group like we are just now or it being a seeded knock out? You'd just have been out after tonight instead basically. Regionalising it also does mean you get some decent games. We got United last year now you guys this year. Really helps clubs financially surely in comparison to friendlies.

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We just need some extra cover and we'll be fine. If our keeper had to go off there nobody was on the bench to replace him... and after Hammy went off we had to shuffle our whole team around to cover for it. You really got on top after that.

McCord hasn't done a thing so far this pre season and Whatley got his first minutes tonight. Expect us to be sharper than that and a stronger line up next time we visit.

Your back up keeper was pretty dodgy at times, also thought you guys got plenty of balls into the box but we dealt with it pretty well. You don't seem to have anyone that'll run in behind up top which leaves you resorting to crosses into the box from the wingers and full backs all the time. If you could sort that out I think you could do pretty well.

More than a bit surprised not to see McCord tonight; he was great for us. I get the impression that Jim's idea is that Renton will win the long balls for Fleming or whoever to put away, but it doesn't look promising so far. Hopefully we've got a few plans in reserve.

Think we had the better of the first half but faded badly in the 2nd, which was understandable given the lack of game time a number of the players have had. Yule looks to be a gem.

Denholm was out of sorts and Alloa were getting in behind our left hand side throughout the 90 but O'Brien and Little were solid. Renton caused us bother with Cowden last season so I don't think the Alloa fans should lose faith yet.

Much respect to Ricky Gomes too. Apparently chipped a tooth and was clearly in a bit of discomfort but battled on. Really no excuse for not having another keeper in the squad by now, however.

29 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The group set up has been a great change tbf. What's the difference between being in a group like we are just now or it being a seeded knock out? You'd just have been out after tonight instead basically. Regionalising it also does mean you get some decent games. We got United last year now you guys this year. Really helps clubs financially surely in comparison to friendlies.

Too many games too early is the problem for us, and an unkind draw doesn't guarantee a financial windfall. We had 421 fans tonight for a match against Premier League opposition and I don't expect much more for Alloa's visit next week.

I think Saturday's crowd will give a more realistic picture on how attractive the competition is.

Too many games too early is the problem for us, and an unkind draw doesn't guarantee a financial windfall. We had 421 fans tonight for a match against Premier League opposition and I don't expect much more for Alloa's visit next week.
I think Saturday's crowd will give a more realistic picture on how attractive the competition is.

Ross county aren't going to bring hundreds through regardless of what cup it is, and 421 can't actually be far off your average league crowd anyway. And you got a gate split of 5.5k on Saturday and you actually get a good sum just for competing.

The amount of games you play is the same for everybody too by the way. That was game number 6 for us tonight.

The new format is brilliant, maybe I'm just being cynical but the fact you've been utterly pumped in the first two games seems to be having an affect on your opinion.

Can't think of many downsides to this new format at all. I really think that you should be allowed to name 1 or 2 trialists in matchday squads but other than that it works very well.

Great way to break into the season I think.

With the old format we wouldn't have to start so early in the season.

Same for everyone.

The competition provides clubs with a lot more money. Makes pre season less tedious and dull for supporters. Gives clubs a really good chance of getting a game on TV. Gives clubs a good chance to get local derbies and fixtures that they may usually not get. Gives clubs good coverage in the lower leagues. Let's players ease back into competitive football.

Why you'd want to sacrifice all that to go back to a one off game against a seeded club in the League Cup and an extra couple of pre season friendlies that start at a later date I can't understand.

28 minutes ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Also interesting to see that there was only 311 hardy souls at the Recs tonight!

We charged £16 a ticket. I'm amazed anybody from Arbroath turned up at all.

29 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That was ludicrous. We are only charging £12 to get into cup games. I think we are £15 at Hibs next week

Aye, old news, though. It was £16 when Cove came to town last year. You can only assume that the board have worked out that this is more profitable. It'll take a boycott to change their minds.

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You don't seem to have anyone that'll run in behind up top which leaves you resorting to crosses into the box from the wingers and full backs all the time. If you could sort that out I think you could do pretty well.

I think Malcolm has been signed as a more mobile option in attack to play alongside Fleming or Renton, but he got injured against County. As for the rest, new signings always deserve a bit of time to find their feet, it's only mid July.

311 seems a decent crowd in the circumstances. Such a beautiful night, a lower price might have encouraged more people out. It's one thing to stick to £16 for the league but keeping it for this new League Cup format is a joke. 

Archived