6 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Heading to Rome later in the year so hopefully ok to jump on this thread...

Omnia Travel Cards get absolutely shite reviews (are they indeed shite?) - I'm thinking of just buying a Vatican (etc) queue jumper and using public transport as and when we need it (most stuff within walking distance anyway) - any thoughts?

Looking to do the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Trevi & the Colosseum - presumably they're the must sees!? Is there anywhere else we should be looking to go?

And any food/restaurant recommendations greatly appreciated

Ta etc.

Most of the sights are within walking distance of each other but defo get the queue jumper for the Vatican but you have the best plan using public transport for getting around.Every street back alley wee corner shop has tremendous food only one we always and try and go back to is up past the trevi fountain you go into a wee square and it's up the wee cobbled street on the left as you enter the wee square,sounds complicated but obvious when you are there and I've no idea of the name but we found it one night on an aimless wander ( got a yellow sign) and loads of locals eat there so that's always a sign.Avoid the guys dressed like Roman soldiers at the coliseum they will try and rip you off to take a picture.Great city so much to see every time you go around a corner theres something else you will enjoy it

Edited by doulikefish

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

.Avoid the guys dressed like Roman soldiers at the coliseum they will try and rip you off to take a picture.Great city so much to see every time you go around a corner theres something else you will enjoy it

As a polite group of sophisticated international scholars we rudely had the local constabulary called on us by one of these novelty locals. (I don’t known enough Italian but I’m pretty sure his side would have been translated to complaining about the gang of Teenage bam’s who were winding him up silly)  We also had a supposed human statue break character massively, if your going to chase us around the square, don’t go expecting a tip.

Otherwise Rome is an utterly fantastic city. Vatican is worth seeing but you’ll be treated like shit and be glad to be out at the end, colesseum is an incredible sight and worth taking in.  The rest, I don’t think the other tourist sights are worth deliberately seeking out but that’s not a negative, it’s just the general historic area is so great the ‘highlights’ struggle to be significantly better,  I agree with the overall theme of the thread to use the metro and walk about and take it in,  maybe use things like Spanish steps or trevi fountain as a point to wander round but be sure to take in the sights of the surroundings as much as the focal point.

something I’ve not seen mentioned is the tomb of the unknown soldier,  at 100 years old itS rather new vs a lot of the city but I think it’s worth taking in

Food/drink, it’s a general theme but take a dive up random side streets and see what you can find, loads of fun and you can easily bump into a great host and probably pay half or even better than something on the main drag 50 yards away. 

Edit- for anyone not booked already go in autumn and eat you’re body weight in roasted chestnuts, thank me later.

Edited by parsforlife

Spanish Steps aren't worth seeing IMO but other than that the tourist sites are as expected. The Pantheon is tucked away in a wee square and easy to miss but crazy how old it is for the size of the dome. Sitting in some of the piazze with a coffee or a gelato is one of life's great pleasures. Also think Roman pizza isn't brilliant so stick to pasta, meat, etc.

21 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Heading to Rome later in the year so hopefully ok to jump on this thread...

Omnia Travel Cards get absolutely shite reviews (are they indeed shite?) - I'm thinking of just buying a Vatican (etc) queue jumper and using public transport as and when we need it (most stuff within walking distance anyway) - any thoughts?

Looking to do the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Trevi & the Colosseum - presumably they're the must sees!? Is there anywhere else we should be looking to go?

And any food/restaurant recommendations greatly appreciated

Ta etc.

Other than those there is the Forum (a collection of old buildings and facades) and the Pantheon to see the dome. The Spanish Steps are not worth seeking out being, merely, a set of stairs leading to a church.

All of the fountains have ice-cold drinking water so take a bottle. Eating out can be excellent value if you like pasta and salad.

As has been said pizza is very hit and miss. I went to Baffetto and was unimpressed and yet another wee place on the other side of Navona (can't recall its name) was excellent.

Nice one folks - I'd already heard the Spanish Steps were rank and we'll most certainly add the Pantheon to the list.

I've been before btw, but it was about 35 years ago and it was basically just a massuve piss up, so I'm looking forward to actually seeing some of the city this time.

The Metro will get you around pretty well, just don't talk to anyone as they are probably going to try to rip you off, especially around the big sites like the Colosseum. I find it's a good place to just wander about once you have seen your list of preferred sites.  There are lots of interesting and random places to eat/drink and you will never know what neat bits of architecture you will stumble across.

• 1 year later...

Hoping to go to Rome for a few days in June. Looks like the hotel we're staying in is across from the opera house near the station, which I see a few folk on here suggest isn't the best area. Assume we'll be safe enough if we're sensible? 

Reviews for the hotel are varied to say the least but will be out during the day and only using it for a bed so will hopefully be OK.

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hoping to go to Rome for a few days in June. Looks like the hotel we're staying in is across from the opera house near the station, which I see a few folk on here suggest isn't the best area. Assume we'll be safe enough if we're sensible? 

Like every big city, it's things like pickpocketing and folk trying to "help" you then demanding payment that are the main issues in that area. And make sure taxi meters are on or get an Uber.

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Reviews for the hotel are varied to say the least but will be out during the day and only using it for a bed so will hopefully be OK.

immediately in and around Termini is not great - like lots of train station areas at night. But if you are closer to the Opera House then you are absolutely fine - you are literally 30 secs away from Republicca Metro and its beautiful piazza and fountain, a main well presented shopping street Via Nazionale (which leads you directly to Piazza Venezia (and the Forum etc) - plus you are very very close to my favourite area in Rome - Via del Boschetto - which has fantastic bars, vintage shops and restaurants. Like a mini hidden Trastevere. 

So all in all I would be pretty happy if I were staying in your location. 

23 hours ago, Stu said:

Assuming the same scams are still going, the one to watch for is often the two “artists” who target couples with a shoulder bag. One usually has fabric or clothing over one arm and takes the bag side while the other just works to distract the second person from the other side. When this happens, the first has his/her hand in the bag, covered by the goods draped over their arm. Natives just run them off quickly, tourists are generally too polite and get ripped off.

I don’t think there’s anywhere in Rome particular where tourists are completely safe, that’s not to say it’s an unsafe city but you generally just need to keep a bit of wits about you like you should anywhere.

I stayed in what would be described here as a council scheme about 20 years ago and never had any issue, just a bit of awareness on the subway etc to not be flashing cash and have valuables in accessible pockets.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Heading to Rome in a couple of weeks for our 10 year anniversary. Any good breakfast places to recommend? 

Someone might be able to come up with a good recommendation but I generally don't think breakfast is a thing for italy They live off of caffeine until about 3pm 

On 03/03/2024 at 18:17, Stellaboz said:

Heading to Rome in a couple of weeks for our 10 year anniversary. Any good breakfast places to recommend? 

Aye breakfast is a croissant (will be called either a brioche or cornetto locally) and coffee/orange juice (spremuta). You will probably find eggs or such like being served somewhere but it will be a  touristy place.

Also, the 3pm comment is exaggerated. Lunch is massively important to Italians and there will be some great wee pasta places. Try this one...

https://www.osteriadafortunata.it/

Get there early though, about 12, as there' will be a big queue.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Aye breakfast is a croissant (will be called either a brioche or cornetto locally) and coffee/orange juice (spremuta). You will probably find eggs or such like being served somewhere but it will be a  touristy place.

Also, the 3pm comment is exaggerated. Lunch is massively important to Italians and there will be some great wee pasta places. Try this one...

https://www.osteriadafortunata.it/

Get there early though, about 12, as there' will be a big queue.

Tennents Super Lager, Castel Sant' Angelo , The Victor Emmanuel monument.