Another ref cock up & compounded by the West SJFA

lobey dosser

10 hours ago, glensmad said:

I went along to this game tonight expecting it to be an interesting affair given the circumstances. I expected Lesmahagow to be really motivated for the match, but they seemed very flat all night and Benburb won with a good bit to spare, to be honest.

This ^^^ I was really hoping we'd get a feisty little game, but Lesmahagow looked laboured in everything they did and, to be honest, didn't really look like scoring. In saying that I thought Benburb played some really nice stuff. The third goal was a beautiful counter attack, started by the #6 (who just seemed to run forever and never tire!) and finished really calmly by the #10. Was very impressed with their 'keeper too. He didn't have many saves to make, but he dealt with pretty much every cross very confidently.

I've seen the ref that did last night a few times, and he's actually struck me as one of the better ones. Seems to have a good rapport with players on the pitch too (well, certainly judging by some of the wee chats he had with them) which is badly needed given how many refs (see Maryhill v Medda a few weeks ago) refuse to manage a game by speaking to players and using common sense.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've seen the ref that did last night a few times, and he's actually struck me as one of the better ones. Seems to have a good rapport with players on the pitch too (well, certainly judging by some of the wee chats he had with them) which is badly needed given how many refs (see Maryhill v Medda a few weeks ago) refuse to manage a game by speaking to players and using common sense.

The ref last night was Chris Gentles, and he is undoubtedly one of the better refs out there at the moment. We had him a few years ago for a cup tie against Perthshire and he had an absolute bombscare that afternoon, but since then I've watched him improve quite rapidly and he has clearly learned a lot over the past few years. He is one of the refs you can talk to during a game, and he's usually up for a chat before and after as well, he's not one of the refs which are up their own backsides. I think he'll be moved up to the senior game soon, he's young enough to make it.

18 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The ref last night was Chris Gentles, and he is undoubtedly one of the better refs out there at the moment. We had him a few years ago for a cup tie against Perthshire and he had an absolute bombscare that afternoon, but since then I've watched him improve quite rapidly and he has clearly learned a lot over the past few years. He is one of the refs you can talk to during a game, and he's usually up for a chat before and after as well, he's not one of the refs which are up their own backsides. I think he'll be moved up to the senior game soon, he's young enough to make it.

Credit to him. He did look very young (well, a similar sort of age to my good self!) and I think his openness and willingness to chat will see him be a success. It makes such a big difference when you have a ref who is prepared to talk, and act like a human. He'll get decisions wrong, everyone does, but accepting that, and explaining why you came to the decision helps make his job a lot easier.

He'll almost certainly have a total 'mare next time I see him now :lol:

Archived