Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

I remember hearing if we got relegated from the Championship the club would die. Same with League 1. It’s all Cowden fans seem to want to do - talk about the club dying. 

However, I totally agree they need to open the pyramid up and make the Highland/Lowland leagues places filled with ex league teams. Fucking about at the bottom of the bottom tier is a pointless exhibition. Scottish football needs to stop becoming such a closed shop. Spartans/Cove will be good additions and the sooner more are integrated the better. If that’s at our expense well we simply aren’t good enough. 

Nothing wrong with the pyramid. We all have the chance to stay in the league via the play off if we finish bottom. It’s come at the wrong time for Cowden though as our income stream has been affected by the owners splitting the stock cars from the football. I don’t think Cowden fans want to talk about the club dying but unfortunately that is the reality. If we do stay up this season (unlikely as it is), then it will be just as difficult next season as we cannot compete financially to sign players.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

East Kilbride apart I don't think the other top end LL sides will be spending a great amount.

When I was at the BSC Glasgow v Cumbernauld Colts game earlier in the season, I got chatting to one of the BSC supporters. One thing lead to another and I commented on the crowd and said “with about 30 people here, of which, some wouldn’t of paid. Is the money spent on a promotion push sustainable?” The man went on to tell me that they pay £30 pw to the more “well kent faces”, £20 pw to some others and £15 pw to the youngsters.

I have no idea if this is true, speculation or absolute garbage, but if it is true, then you are right in thinking this.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

When I was at the BSC Glasgow v Cumbernauld Colts game earlier in the season, I got chatting to one of the BSC supporters. One thing lead to another and I commented on the crowd and said “with about 30 people here, of which, some wouldn’t of paid. Is the money spent on a promotion push sustainable?” The man went on to tell me that they pay £30 pw to the more “well kent faces”, £20 pw to some others and £15 pw to the youngsters.

I have no idea if this is true, speculation or absolute garbage, but if it is true, then you are right in thinking this.

We pay the punters? No one told me, where do I sign up? Can i claim back pay since I'm only just hearing about this?

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

There would be no point being Cowdenbeath FC if you wern't playing in the town.

Any suggestion of Cowdenbeath Football Club playing at Kelty in my opinion as you say the club would lose it's identity and connection to the town. 

For there to be a bright future for the club we need to hopefully one day redevelop Central Park or relocate to a purpose built stadium for the club and community within Cowdenbeath. 

Any suggestion of Cowdenbeath Football Club playing at Kelty in my opinion as you say the club would lose it's identity and connection to the town. 
For there to be a bright future for the club we need to hopefully one day redevelop Central Park or relocate to a purpose built stadium for the club and community within Cowdenbeath. 

I agree with you to an extent, but the same people that go to our dump right now are probably even more likely to go to Kelty due to the fantastic facilities and hospitality. I genuinely don't think our crowds would be any less than what they are now.

Add to that, I'd much rather pay to watch my team that may benefit another club with ambition and respect than give another penny to the owners of our place who have been slowly twisting the knife in over the last few seasons.

If it made financial sense and was an option between both clubs, I'd be 100% for it.

Connection to the town? The same town that generally couldn't give a f**k about the achievements of recent years and the dedication of a hard working board.

Wind back a few years and cowden were in the championship whilst Kelty were a junior side. Must be a sobering prospect that you could easily be in the same league next season!

You guys are having a torrid time, we have been there ourselves. Hope things work out long term, whatever division you end up in next season.

46 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

I agree with you to an extent, but the same people that go to our dump right now are probably even more likely to go to Kelty due to the fantastic facilities and hospitality. I genuinely don't think our crowds would be any less than what they are now.

Add to that, I'd much rather pay to watch my team that may benefit another club with ambition and respect than give another penny to the owners of our place who have been slowly twisting the knife in over the last few seasons.

If it made financial sense and was an option between both clubs, I'd be 100% for it.

Connection to the town? The same town that generally couldn't give a f**k about the achievements of recent years and the dedication of a hard working board.

I would not watch us at Kelty. No offence to Kelty whatsoever. It has to be Central Park for me. Even a new ground would be sad.

2 hours ago, PELE said:

I would not watch us at Kelty. No offence to Kelty whatsoever. It has to be Central Park for me. Even a new ground would be sad.

Totally agree with staying in the town but i find it amazing how many Cowden fans don,t want to leave Central Park.Its completely done now and in the hands of the Brewsters its nothing more than a millstone to the club. 

11 minutes ago, Kobe2010 said:

Totally agree with staying in the town but i find it amazing how many Cowden fans don,t want to leave Central Park.Its completely done now and in the hands of the Brewsters its nothing more than a millstone to the club. 

We will get Central Park back one day.

So where would the club go and how would it be funded?

3 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

I agree with you to an extent, but the same people that go to our right now are probably even more likely to go to Kelty due to the fantastic facilities and hospitality. I genuinely don't think our crowds would be any less than what they are now.

Dump! How dare you Sir! I demand retribution.

I don't go to football for hospitality or for fancy facilities.

12 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

So where would the club go and how would it be funded?

I,m  not having a pop CC,in a perfect world the club would have a new facility in the town and i,m sure if that was possible you and the rest of the board would have already achieved it.

Dump! How dare you Sir! I demand retribution.
I don't go to football for hospitality or for fancy facilities.

Neither do I however there is no doubt that CP is the worst place to watch a game of football in this country.

Look the point I'm making is there is absolutely no future at CP as we know it, what with the ownership contraints and the facilities themselves. In an ideal world, a sugar daddy comes in, buys out the Brewsters, flattens CP and starts again with a new facility without the stock cars and all weather pitch. What's the chances of that happening though?

I don't want to watch my team play their home games out of Cowdenbeath either but if it was viable and ensured a sustainable future to play elsewhere (such as Kelty) then I'd be all for it. Better that than not being able to watch my team atall.

Genuinely feel we are in a hugely dire situation, whether we stay up or not.

Ideally staying at CP is what we all want. It is where we all fell in love with football and have some of the best footballing memories. Toories goal v Brechin, Derek Lyle's arse scoring v Brechin (I loved this goal), league winning triumphs etc, however football evolves and moves on sadly. I have no idea the costs of staying at CP but I would imagine the upkeep must be fairly large and the facilities are not good at all - so in reality we should fully welcome a new ground as sad as it would be to move from the town centre.

This "the club would lose it's identity and community feel" doesn't really ring true to me. There doesn't feel like a strong community spirit in the town towards the club. The locals don't turn out in any real numbers - unless Rangers come to town. I never get a strong feel from the town towards the club, with an obvious few exceptions.

Of course all of this is irrelevant as I don't see a council funded pitch/ground popping up any time soon. I do often look at Kelty's set-up with envy.

10 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Ideally staying at CP is what we all want. It is where we all fell in love with football and have some of the best footballing memories. Toories goal v Brechin, Derek Lyle's arse scoring v Brechin (I loved this goal), league winning triumphs etc, however football evolves and moves on sadly. I have no idea the costs of staying at CP but I would imagine the upkeep must be fairly large and the facilities are not good at all - so in reality we should fully welcome a new ground as sad as it would be to move from the town centre.

This "the club would lose it's identity and community feel" doesn't really ring true to me. There doesn't feel like a strong community spirit in the town towards the club. The locals don't turn out in any real numbers - unless Rangers come to town. I never get a strong feel from the town towards the club, with an obvious few exceptions.

Of course all of this is irrelevant as I don't see a council funded pitch/ground popping up any time soon. I do often look at Kelty's set-up with envy.

What I was alluding to is whilst there probably is not as a strong community connection to the club as we would all like any existing relationships with the town would be lost by pulling them out the town altogether. 

The future must be in Cowdenbeath to try and build upon current relationships with the community by trying to achieve a stronger connection. This requires a lot of help, commitment, passion, leadership and good influencers  etc to do these things. 

Kelty Hearts no doubt are setting very high standards for a community run club but are fortunate to have ownership of their own ground. As a neighbouring fife club I wish them every success but ground sharing with them is not the way forward in opinion nut maybe one day if Central Park is redeveloped or another stadium in Cowdenbeath is developed. 

As you say fans like yourself who have followed Cowden for a long time will feel a strong connection with CP and as a very depleted stadium which it is there is an odd sense of appriciating it is part of our football club enriched in football history. 

If the right level of investment came it should be looked at as an opportunity to create a  modern state of the Art community Football/Entertainment/stock car racing venue with some outlets and housing. 

The rental costs have been shared via fan engagement meetings and are quite costly based on our current league status. 

Archived