Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What then would be the point of that final?

Bottom of League 2 should be automatically relegated. Winner of Highland League and Lowland League playoff with winner automatically going up. Loser then plays 2nd bottom of League 2 with the winner going in to/remaining in League 2 and the loser going down to/remaining in the Highland/Lowland League

Final would be for a trophy and good for both teams, as they would have league status. What you suggest is good too. All I am saying is that it should be changed to make it easier to exit and enter League 2.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, PELE said:

The set up should probably be changed. Have the bottom two in League 2 play against the Lowland league and Highland league winners. Two semi finals and a final, with the two finalists gaining or retaining League 2 status.

That would put less pressure on the clubs likely to be involved gambling everything on a slim chance of success. After all, there are probably only a handful of clubs seriously interested in coming up and this would make it easier to regain league status.

As it is now, there are too many clubs frustrated and too many clubs terrified of dropping out the league just because of a rare poor season.

It would be a dead rubber final.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What then would be the point of that final?

Bottom of League 2 should be automatically relegated. Winner of Highland League and Lowland League playoff with winner automatically going up. Loser then plays 2nd bottom of League 2 with the winner going in to/remaining in League 2 and the loser going down to/remaining in the Highland/Lowland League

No danger of SPFL clubs voting for that.

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Final would be for a trophy and good for both teams, as they would have league status. What you suggest is good too. All I am saying is that it should be changed to make it easier to exit and enter League 2.

You shouldn't get a trophy for retaining your league status always felt we done the right thing v EK wave to the fans and then walk off.

22 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Totally agree bottom of the pile should be automatic relegation , everything stacked in spfl teams corner with LL and HL having to fight for scraps but it is what it is for now 

Its the only way it would have got voted through, maybe not right in many peoples eyes but turkeys would never vote for Christmas.

2 hours ago, PELE said:

Given our cup final record if there'd been a trophy up for grabs Shire would still be in the League! 

Don't mean it in a bad way (my comment) (don't want cowden down either) but it's like they are drip feeding teams in from non league , I'd say bottom automatic relegation , With winners of LL/HL tie taking place loser plays 2nd bottom for winner takes all 

14 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Don't mean it in a bad way (my comment) (don't want cowden down either) but it's like they are drip feeding teams in from non league , I'd say bottom automatic relegation , With winners of LL/HL tie taking place loser plays 2nd bottom for winner takes all 

I never took it in a bad way i'm just thinking how chairmen of SPFL sides would view it if it was put to a vote.

There have been big steps made in the last few years wasn't that long ago that you only got to apply if someone went bust or the league was expanded.

It also took England a good many years to give a 2nd promotion spot into the Football League.

You never know things might change in years to come.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I never took it in a bad way i'm just thinking how chairmen of SPFL sides would view it if it was put to a vote.

There have been big steps made in the last few years wasn't that long ago that you only got to apply if someone went bust or the league was expanded.

It also took England a good many years to give a 2nd promotion spot into the Football League.

You never know things might change in years to come.

Too late for us though. If we drop out of this league there might not be a way back. And where would we play our games?

2 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Too late for us though. If we drop out of this league there might not be a way back. And where would we play our games?

How would there not be a way back? Would have the same chance as everyone else in the Lowland and Highland Leagues it would be hard but not impossible, Edinburgh City managed to do it the "hard" way, If the worse came to the worse it would certainly be better than this mornings suggestion about going junior.

I would say Central Park to the 2nd question.

47 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

How would there not be a way back? Would have the same chance as everyone else in the Lowland and Highland Leagues it would be hard but not impossible, Edinburgh City managed to do it the "hard" way, If the worse came to the worse it would certainly be better than this mornings suggestion about going junior.

I would say Central Park to the 2nd question.

If we could stay at CP that would be great. Wouldn't the cost be prohibitive?

If we couldn't win the playoff games with the team we have now, poor though it is, what chance would we have with even poorer players next season? We don't even have as good  a team now as we had last season.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Get out of CP and into New CP.

How much longer are we obliged to play at CP? I recall some sort of agreement was made a couple of seasons back but can't recall the exact details.

Why?

6 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Its the only way it would have got voted through, maybe not right in many peoples eyes but turkeys would never vote for Christmas.

It would be better all-round if it was easier to move between League 2 and the Lowland /Highland Leagues.

As it is now, the handful of teams that are serious about entering the SPFL are frustrated by the difficulty in achieving it and the League 2 teams are filled with utter dread at the thought of being relegated, because they know how difficult it will be to come back. Going out the SPFL now is like the kiss of death. If there was a more realistic chance of coming back into the SPFL it wouldn't be so bad. Some clubs will definitely overspend gambling on a slim chance of success. If I was an SPFL club chairman, I would be happier with 2 up and 2 down each season. Then, if you're serious about getting back into the SPFL, you have a decent chance. Just now it is more like a lottery.

I remember hearing if we got relegated from the Championship the club would die. Same with League 1. It’s all Cowden fans seem to want to do - talk about the club dying. 

However, I totally agree they need to open the pyramid up and make the Highland/Lowland leagues places filled with ex league teams. Fucking about at the bottom of the bottom tier is a pointless exhibition. Scottish football needs to stop becoming such a closed shop. Spartans/Cove will be good additions and the sooner more are integrated the better. If that’s at our expense well we simply aren’t good enough. 

15 hours ago, PELE said:

It would be better all-round if it was easier to move between League 2 and the Lowland /Highland Leagues.

As it is now, the handful of teams that are serious about entering the SPFL are frustrated by the difficulty in achieving it and the League 2 teams are filled with utter dread at the thought of being relegated, because they know how difficult it will be to come back. Going out the SPFL now is like the kiss of death. If there was a more realistic chance of coming back into the SPFL it wouldn't be so bad. Some clubs will definitely overspend gambling on a slim chance of success. If I was an SPFL club chairman, I would be happier with 2 up and 2 down each season. Then, if you're serious about getting back into the SPFL, you have a decent chance. Just now it is more like a lottery.

I never actually said I agreed with the current set up just what people in charge of clubs would be thinking. As for clubs overspending it has been happening in League 2 since the relegation play off was introduced with clubs chucking more money about than they used to just to stay in the league.

18 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

If we could stay at CP that would be great. Wouldn't the cost be prohibitive?

If we couldn't win the playoff games with the team we have now, poor though it is, what chance would we have with even poorer players next season? We don't even have as good  a team now as we had last season.

I don't know about the costs AC but there is a meeting in a few weeks so i'm sure someone will pose the question to the board that night. 

Re players if we are in the LL next season who knows Shire who had many seasons similar to what we have had this season managed to have a decent go at it last season but were unlucky they were up against an EK side who obviously had quite a few quid to spend.

East Kilbride apart I don't think the other top end LL sides will be spending a great amount.

17 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Get out of CP and into New CP.

How much longer are we obliged to play at CP? I recall some sort of agreement was made a couple of seasons back but can't recall the exact details.

There would be no point being Cowdenbeath FC if you wern't playing in the town.

Archived