Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

35 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Nothing in the game but a silly mistake yet again costs us the game.

East Kilbride are route 1 hoofball but they know how to play it so good luck to them. I fear we will see them again in May.

just hope that piece of shit Strachan is knee capped by his drug supplier by then. Can't stand to see scum like him celebrating when he should be in a jail cell rotting.

I think it will be Spartans this time. Shame it had to be the cheating B****** Winter who scored.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, PELE said:

I think it will be Spartans this time. Shame it had to be the cheating B****** Winter who scored.

Spartans were my pre season tip to win the LL plenty of players there who won it 2 seasons in a row with City. I actually don't think EK are as good as they were last season although they deserved their win as they had the most clear cut chances hitting the woodwork 3 times. Says it all after the game Winter told the press that was the best they have played this season.

I honestly felt our defence looks decent and the front 3 are all ok with abit ability. 

We lost the game in midfield. Kyle and Robbie were out played and Syme is 1 of our best players but that's not his position. 

Can see why Brown had him in there though. Brown is trying his best to be fair. He has tried to address the full back areas where we were woeful and dropped Robbie back as he just isn't a finisher. Sadly Robbie had a bit of a mare mucking about on the ball at the edge of the box for the goal. Wrong end of the pitch for that pal.

i feel sorry for Brown but he has to keep these young players heads up and keep fighting. 

20 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

I honestly felt our defence looks decent and the front 3 are all ok with abit ability. 

We lost the game in midfield. Kyle and Robbie were out played and Syme is 1 of our best players but that's not his position. 

Can see why Brown had him in there though. Brown is trying his best to be fair. He has tried to address the full back areas where we were woeful and dropped Robbie back as he just isn't a finisher. Sadly Robbie had a bit of a mare mucking about on the ball at the edge of the box for the goal. Wrong end of the pitch for that pal.

i feel sorry for Brown but he has to keep these young players heads up and keep fighting. 

I think syme came to us as a midfielder didn't he ?

Dont know exactly but is this not our 6th/7th game without scoring a goal from open play? If this is the case its a joke. It screams lack of quality.Experience doesnt guarantee you goals although we need experience in forward areas. The squad assembled is just not good enough in terms of quality. Solid at the back with a few boys who work very hard.

Billy brown is trying his best but to me for a coach like him with years of experience to not be able to put out a side capable of scoring a goal from open play in 5/6/7 games whatever it is, is a joke.

I know there is a lack of confidence however a radical change in how we play is required.  Some of the players are not doing enough or being brave enough. Our signings have been poor including loanees which is where extra quality should arrive (e.g boys with full time deals who should by all accounts be technical and fitness wise a tad better).

Tough times and difficult times. I dont think brown is the man to dig us out of this hole personally not calling for his head but he must review his position personally if he dont feel he can get the players out of this slump. 

Comfortably beaten by a Lowland League side. Alarm bells ringing loudly. Some thoughts. Our new number 9 played very well winning plenty balls despite some rough treatment and no protection from ref, a bit like Renton. And again, a bit like Renton, he looked totally knackered and thoroughly cheesed off  by the lack of support by full time.

Syme in midfield to add some much needed steel is a decent idea, if we can afford to lose him from the back four Passing is not his strong point  so best as  a sitting midfielder in front of the back four breaking up attacks  and then short passing to our more skilful midfielders  like erm hmm.

Connelly worth a try in midfield maybe, at least he's always looking for the ball. We also have the two Smiths Stirling  Whittaker Buchanan Mullen Miller. There must be some combination that works.

The previous Saturday, with neither Mullen nor Miller in the team ,we played quite well, created several good chances and could have won more easily

I still don't think Mullen is a right back though he has stuck to it pretty well. Maybe he and Miller could swap positions.

Does 4-3-3 and long ball work together? Don't we  need to get the ball out wide all the time to make it work. Muirhead hardly got  a pass on Saturday.

4-4-2  with  Garden and Muirhead linking up front ,Morris as a last half 

hour sub width from midfield or wing backs.

3-5-2   with either Pyper or Miller behind Syme and Rumsby..

There isn't a team in this division that we can't beat on our day.

There isn't a team in this division that can't beat us on their day.

Discuss.

These are the kind of things that rattle around in my head at night ,keeping me awake as another play off draws ever nearer.

10 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

Comfortably beaten by a Lowland League side. Alarm bells ringing loudly. Some thoughts. Our new number 9 played very well winning plenty balls despite some rough treatment and no protection from ref, a bit like Renton. And again, a bit like Renton, he looked totally knackered and thoroughly cheesed off  by the lack of support by full time.

Syme in midfield to add some much needed steel is a decent idea, if we can afford to lose him from the back four Passing is not his strong point  so best as  a sitting midfielder in front of the back four breaking up attacks  and then short passing to our more skilful midfielders  like erm hmm.

Connelly worth a try in midfield maybe, at least he's always looking for the ball. We also have the two Smiths Stirling  Whittaker Buchanan Mullen Miller. There must be some combination that works.

The previous Saturday, with neither Mullen nor Miller in the team ,we played quite well, created several good chances and could have won more easily

I still don't think Mullen is a right back though he has stuck to it pretty well. Maybe he and Miller could swap positions.

Does 4-3-3 and long ball work together? Don't we  need to get the ball out wide all the time to make it work. Muirhead hardly got  a pass on Saturday.

4-4-2  with  Garden and Muirhead linking up front ,Morris as a last half 

hour sub width from midfield or wing backs.

3-5-2   with either Pyper or Miller behind Syme and Rumsby..

There isn't a team in this division that we can't beat on our day.

There isn't a team in this division that can't beat us on their day.

Discuss.

These are the kind of things that rattle around in my head at night ,keeping me awake as another play off draws ever nearer.

Miller was terrible on Saturday. Don’t think  he got his shorts dirty. Leslie looked out of his depth. Even Rumsby had a poor first half. Harvey too, hot and cold and kept leaving the winger on his own.  Smith was ineffective and Robbie, although trying hard, kept getting caught in possession.

Garden did look decent and was unlucky not to score, but never got a decent pass.

Connelly was excellent in the first half against Dundee United but that seems a long time ago.

Syme in midfield just didn’t work.

Not many positives from Saturday’s game against a team that got thrashed by East Stirling the week before. One more game and we will have played a quarter of our games. Something really does have to change and soon or our season will be over before Christmas.

33 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Just realised Cowden have scored 3 goals in 8 games? That is embarrassing.

Not as though this league is teeming with quality.

One of them was a dodgy last minute penalty....

We did score 4 against Buckie in the cup and one against Dundee United!

Well that's the 1st quarter of the league season done. 

So far we are 3 points worse off than last season record then after 9 games was

Pld 9 W 2 D 2 L 5 F 11 A 17 Pts 8

This season its 

Pld 9 W 1 D 2 L 6 F 3 A 13 Pts 5

Have conceded slightly less goals this season with more than half of them coming against Peterhead and Stirling. Alarming (to say the least) drop in goals scored we had already scored 3 in two games at this time last year although we lost both!

We had 4 goal less  league games then compared to the current 6. We also of course lost to EK in the Scottish Cup.

Like this time last season our win has come against Edinburgh City our other one was up at Montrose pre Stewart Petrie days. We also had draws against Arbroath and Annan.  Draws this season have been against Clyde where we lost 5-3 last season and Elgin who beat us 1-0 on the opening day.

Defeats from Berwick and Stirling as per last season while we lost to Annan after drawing with them in the first quarter last year.

We were 2nd bottom of the table with Edinburgh City having just 3 points from 10 games (they had brought a game with Elgin forward).

Table then was 

Forfar             Pld 9 Pts 21

Elgin                 Pld 10 Pts 18

Clyde               Pld 9 Pts 17

Arbroath        Pld 9 Pts 14

Berwick          Pld 9 Pts 13

Annan              Pld 9 Pts 13

Stirling             Pld 9 Pts 9

Montrose       Pld 9 Pts 9

Cowden           Pld 9 Pts 8

Edinburgh C Pld 10 Pts 3

Aye I was bored when I looked all this up:lol: