Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

The goalie isn't tall but our issue is neither of our CHs are either . Neither are over 6ft and struggle against a big forward. Money is our issue just wish we could get a 6'2 plus CH and a centre midfielder who is actually a centre midfielder who can hold the ball and pass.

I thought the young keeper did ok and at one stage got down well s to save at the post. When challenged by the physical forward on Wednesday the referee also didn't offer him any protection. He is very agile though and didn't do much, if anything, wrong. He deserves a chance.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the young keeper did ok and at one stage got down well s to save at the post. When challenged by the physical forward on Wednesday the referee also didn't offer him any protection. He is very agile though and didn't do much, if anything, wrong. He deserves a chance.

Thought goalie was good and did come punch a few corners as well why I just wishlisted a big CH and a CMidfielder

His shot stopping was excellent but he must be too short surely.

I hate this argument. If you're good enough then you're tall enough. Andy Goram was an outstanding 'keeper, and he was about as tall as he was wide!

40 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I hate this argument. If you're good enough then you're tall enough. Andy Goram was an outstanding 'keeper, and he was about as tall as he was wide!

He was awfy wide though! Being tall doesn't make you a good keeper but if you are small and have no big defenders to help you out life will be difficult. Certainly at our level.

43 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

True.

surely a goalies height include his arm up stretched so he should be punching higher than an opponents forehead?

2 hours ago, big al said:

True.

surely a goalies height include his arm up stretched so he should be punching higher than an opponents forehead?

Seen Chris Templeman scoring plenty headers against decent keepers.

He destroyed Dunfermline a few seasons back in a playoff game.

6 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

6 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

100% correct I have played as a keeper & worked with keepers coaching them. As a very young player in my early teens there was no real specific training available I remember a book I used to get from the library which used to go over technique & positioning & featured demonstrations in black & white from a young Peter Shilton not a bad keeper in his day despite only making 6ft. 

Another former Cowden keeper Alan Combe went onto have a lengthy & successful career even though he was 5ft 10 tall. 

I have seen & worked with some pretty tall keepers who were pretty poor, when I think about Cowden keepers I've seen big Yousef Bejaoui lovely guy & one of the biggest keepers I have seen play for the club standing nearly  6ft 6 but I don't think with all due respect not certain he is remembered as one of the very best we've had.

10 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

He's very quiet on the Clyde pages these days. I have been missing his cutting edge wit and informative comments on the state of every team in the league as well as his prognosis on the outcome of the league. I always took account of this when doing my Soccer sixes for the week!

cheers pal a no the score but dont gambel no money lol yous will be shit with brown hes no good manager look when he at east fife and look where they are now sinse he got sacked think you will finish near botom but no relagated as berick diddys goin down fuckin hate berick and thay still cant find there flag

Thanks I think. Dinna worry winna be putting money on Cowdenbeath. Sorry Beath fans for invading your thread but Couldna resist after Jameseys ramble. He has an even better one on the Berwick thread. Worth a read!

Yes. I've just read it. Excellent stuff from Jamesy again.

Poor performance today from our best team? Rovers never got out of 1st gear and we were lucky that they didn't score more.

Thought Rumsby, Syme and Mullen did OK. That's about it. Morris looks way out of his depth, just hoping he isn't fit.

It isn't looking good.

Third game in seven days against full time opposition and it showed. Very flat in first half  but I thought we stuck to it pretty well after the break. The manager knows where we are lacking and still hopes to sign a couple of players. I thought Pyper was our best player today as he was last Sunday. Just my opinion I know. I believe there was  some damage done to the Junction Bar Cowdenbeath bus outside Star's Park. Not good.

9 hours ago, PELE said:

Was Muirhead played up front or out wide again?

Upfront with Morris in a 3-5-2.

morris was poor.

muirhead looked fairly quick against Buckie, but looked slow yesterday. Shows the difference in levels.

the back 3 were all ok but midfield was non existent with only Mullen capable of passes and Rutherford ok on the ball but weak defensively. Swann and Buchanan are lost in midfield and the boy fae Patrick in the right is solid enough defensively with no creativity going forward.

the goalie had a few decent stops and didn't do much wrong.

disappointing performance.

36 minutes ago, big al said:

Upfront with Morris in a 3-5-2.

morris was poor.

muirhead looked fairly quick against Buckie, but looked slow yesterday. Shows the difference in levels.

the back 3 were all ok but midfield was non existent with only Mullen capable of passes and Rutherford ok on the ball but weak defensively. Swann and Buchanan are lost in midfield and the boy fae Patrick in the right is solid enough defensively with no creativity going forward.

the goalie had a few decent stops and didn't do much wrong.

disappointing performance.

We were much better against United where we created a few chances. Re Rutherford, he did seem to be playing against two players, the Rovers right back made some good runs and the No 4 played really well.

Like you say no midfield apart from Mullen, who had a good game, The keeper had a couple of decent saves but  I'm not sure what happened at Rovers second goal. A bigger keeper would have taken or punched the cross?

Decent Cowden support and really good applause from all the fans for  McGurn, that was the highlight.

We were much better against United where we created a few chances. Re Rutherford, he did seem to be playing against two players, the Rovers right back made some good runs and the No 4 played really well.
Like you say no midfield apart from Mullen, who had a good game, The keeper had a couple of decent saves but  I'm not sure what happened at Rovers second goal. A bigger keeper would have taken or punched the cross?
Decent Cowden support and really good applause from all the fans for  McGurn, that was the highlight.

Agree about Rutherford Syme was playing left side of a back three and should have covered him and Swann as Pyper did on the right side. Still maintain our biggest problem is centre midfield Buchanon is a forward who is a poor footballer but tries hard Mullen is a right back never a centre midfielder.

Archived