Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

14 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

I was feeling quite encouraged after today's game till that bolt from the blue about Locke. I thought all the young lads acquitted themselves well, the trialist keeper had one brilliant stop and Josh looked pacy Sharp and direct.Difficult to know how strong the QOS side was though  so not getting carried away but still some grounds for hope.

Did your young guys come on in the 2nd half?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

I was feeling quite encouraged after today's game till that bolt from the blue about Locke. I thought all the young lads acquitted themselves well, the trialist keeper had one brilliant stop and Josh looked pacy Sharp and direct.Difficult to know how strong the QOS side was though  so not getting carried away but still some grounds for hope.

Heard that a lot lately.

Nobody will ever forget Billy Brown!s rant but it should be remembered he took over a shambles and managed to keep East Fife in the first division.

If i remember correctly the players blew him out and done their own thing v Peterhead in play off final and miraculously won. Billy big boots found his level! Pleasing

3 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

Difficult to know how strong the QOS side was though  so not getting carried away but still some grounds for hope.

It was relatively strong to start with. Probably 7 or 8 of our best 11. 4 or 5 at most in second half.

15 hours ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Did your young guys come on in the 2nd half?

Muirhead played 1st hour and scored 2 as did Swann. Trialist 7 played 71 min is just 19/20. All the outfield subs who came on at various stages in the last 20 were young guys with Dino Leddie who came on in the last minute being just 15 years old.

15 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

Muirhead Swann and Leslie I think on from start.

Leslie wasn't in the squad.

Locke leaving isnt too much of a disaster imo, he done an okay job but nothing more. The real disaster is appointing that nugget Brown. I have a really bad feeling about the season ahead now - aside from our centre halfs and goalkeeper our squad looks really threadbare and I wouldn't trust Brown to bring in any sort of quality. 

Naturally I hope all of the above is proved to be completely wrong.

Just saw that billy brown rant for the first time. Quite funny. Not that terrible though. I have normally had a worse heid-gone moment than that even before breakfast. I will have to use that 'been there done things' sometime.

Locke leaving isnt too much of a disaster imo, he done an okay job but nothing more. The real disaster is appointing that nugget Brown. I have a really bad feeling about the season ahead now - aside from our centre halfs and goalkeeper our squad looks really threadbare and I wouldn't trust Brown to bring in any sort of quality. 
Naturally I hope all of the above is proved to be completely wrong.

We shouldn't forget the predicament the club was in before Gary came in and look at where we are now. We should be thinking positively and supporting the new manager and the boys who scored three goals yesterday. Talking about disaster before a competitive ball is kicked won't help the collective cause. More than likely it will turn people off from reading these divisive posts which I suppose might not be a bad thing at all. We don't want to fall into the same negative spiral we encountered last season.

I think it's important to say that Gary Locke hasn't done anything wrong here. When he became manager, his remit looked almost impossible - save Cowden from a third relegation in three seasons.  He took over a dispirited team that had got into the habit of losing. he had everything to lose - he would have been persuaded to take the job on condition that if he was offered a better position, the club would allow him to go. Yet he and Billy Brown and Neil Irvine galvanised the squad, made them believe survival was possible, and kept us up. We owe him a huge debt. Gary is a very honest guy - maybe too honest for his own good - and he has been entirely upfront about his hope to get a better gig - look at recent interviews. He owes us nothing, and he should go with our thanks and best wishes. Without Gary, we would have been preparing for life in the Lowland  League right now.

Strangely, if he was going to leave at any time, now is probably best. Appointing Billy Brown makes some sense - what we don't need is another vacuum as we get ready for a new season. BB will  have been discussing with GL what is needed for the new season, and will have been trying to identify players who might strengthen the side. He will be working with a fairly small budget - as a club we can't afford to keep living beyond our means and depending on the directors to bail us out. These days are over.

Whether BB can do the business remains to be seen, but he needs the support of the fans if he is to succeed. I hope he can  keep us away from the relegation zone; more than that, I hope he brings through the best of our younger players. No one associated with the club will ever again want to be put through the tortuous experience we endured on the last day against East Kilbride.

15 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

I think it's important to say that Gary Locke hasn't done anything wrong here. When he became manager, his remit looked almost impossible - save Cowden from a third relegation in three seasons.  He took over a dispirited team that had got into the habit of losing. he had everything to lose - he would have been persuaded to take the job on condition that if he was offered a better position, the club would allow him to go. Yet he and Billy Brown and Neil Irvine galvanised the squad, made them believe survival was possible, and kept us up. We owe him a huge debt. Gary is a very honest guy - maybe too honest for his own good - and he has been entirely upfront about his hope to get a better gig - look at recent interviews. He owes us nothing, and he should go with our thanks and best wishes. Without Gary, we would have been preparing for life in the Lowland  League right now.

Strangely, if he was going to leave at any time, now is probably best. Appointing Billy Brown makes some sense - what we don't need is another vacuum as we get ready for a new season. BB will  have been discussing with GL what is needed for the new season, and will have been trying to identify players who might strengthen the side. He will be working with a fairly small budget - as a club we can't afford to keep living beyond our means and depending on the directors to bail us out. These days are over.

Whether BB can do the business remains to be seen, but he needs the support of the fans if he is to succeed. I hope he can  keep us away from the relegation zone; more than that, I hope he brings through the best of our younger players. No one associated with the club will ever again want to be put through the tortuous experience we endured on the last day against East Kilbride.

Gary Locke's sudden and unexpected departure at the commencement of a new season reminds me of the somewhat similar circumstances arising at the start of our 2005/2006 Championship season ( see also Helicopter Dreams). I was pleased with Cowden's display yesterday. True QOS scored two first half goals but Cowden created quite a number of gilt edged scoring opportunities and their win could have and should have been even more convincing. There is the nucleus of a really good  squad and some judicious loans could make the team highly competitive. Certainly they are more than good enough to avoid any question of bottom spot.

I always wondered if we should read anything into the fact that Billy Brown's most recent gigs are done on a voluntary basis; this will be the first paid job he'll have had in a while despite having been on the backroom staff at a number of clubs. I'd find that alone quite worrying.

13 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I always wondered if we should read anything into the fact that Billy Brown's most recent gigs are done on a voluntary basis; this will be the first paid job he'll have had in a while despite having been on the backroom staff at a number of clubs. I'd find that alone quite worrying.

Why? We've had Nish and Fox who were being paid. Can't be any worse.

Worrying never achieved anything

Heard of 2 people we are interested in and even getting 1 boy out of the 2 would be fantasic signings. Billy is a good coach so ive heard and although he is a bit old school he may make us hard to beat and wouldnt accept slackers thats for sure (FOX did!).

I think we should get in someone finishing career to be his assistant to then step up when brown leaves. e.g jimmy nicholl/colin cameron scenario..

17 minutes ago, NELLY said:

Heard of 2 people we are interested in and even getting 1 boy out of the 2 would be fantasic signings. Billy is a good coach so ive heard and although he is a bit old school he may make us hard to beat and wouldnt accept slackers thats for sure (FOX did!).

I think we should get in someone finishing career to be his assistant to then step up when brown leaves. e.g jimmy nicholl/colin cameron scenario..

Who are the 2 you've heard? I've heard nothing sadly - bit out of the loop being in Aberdeen!

Archived