Toulon Tournament

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, woof! said:

Burke fantastic, as was Taylor. Frizzel has a great touch on him. Big lad Wilson looked useul. Burke for England game?

That is a dead rubber. Better having him as the captain in Toulon. He played like a leader today and set the tone for the match.

Much better use of his time than 20mins(?) in whatever anti-football tactics we are going to play against England

9 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

So will a goalfest Vs Indonesia be enough now?

I think almost any win should be enough to be the best 2nd placed team and qualify for the semi finals. A win would put Scotland on 6pts

Group A the best the 2nd placed team can finish with is 5pts

Group B if it's Wales they'll be on 4 or 5pts, France they'll be on 4pts or Ivory Coast on 6pts if Wales beat them but even a 1-0 win for Scotland and 1-0 win for Wales puts Scotland ahead of Ivory Coast on goals scored.

I think almost any win should be enough to be the best 2nd placed team and qualify for the semi finals. A win would put Scotland on 6pts
Group B if it's Wales they'll be on 4 or 5pts, France they'll be on 4pts or Ivory Coast on 6pts if Wales beat them but even a 1-0 win for Scotland and 1-0 win for Wales puts Scotland ahead of Ivory Coast on goals scored.

Thanks. Nice to be in a comfortable position for once!
Any idea if Indonesia are decent? I'm making the classic mistake of assuming they are cannon fodder.

Brilliant! :batman

Socrates! Gustavo Kuerton! Gisele Bundchen! Felipe Massa! Christ the Redeemer!, Edson Arantes du Nascimento!

Your boys took a helluva beating... A helluva beating!

Thanks. Nice to be in a comfortable position for once!

Any idea if Indonesia are decent? I'm making the classic mistake of assuming they are cannon fodder.

Indonesia have lost 2-0 to Czech Rep and 1-0 to Brazil so it won't be that easy.

19 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I think we need a 2 goal win to be sure. If 3 teams finish on 6 points that will ensure we have the 2nd best goal difference in the group and better than Ivory Coast for best runner-up.

Can't find the actual rules though.

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

That is a dead rubber. Better having him as the captain in Toulon. He played like a leader today and set the tone for the match.

Much better use of his time than 20mins(?) in whatever anti-football tactics we are going to play against England

I hear what you're saying, but there isn't a player in the full squad who could have been as influential in the match today as he was.

Watched the game and aside from a shaky 3-4 mins at the start of the game, where they gave away a few early chances, the Scots were impressive. Burke was obviously the star and you can could see the Brazilians saw him as the danger man.

Full warning I am a killie fan, but I thought Frizzel, Taylor and Wilson all played well, and was chuffed for Taylor at getting the goal. In the end Brazil didn't have a shot on target and we could easily have won 4-0, with Burke and Hardie missing 1 on 1's, and Wighton missing a good chance. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_tcTOM5sc

Our keeper didn't have very much to do the whole evening. The first 10 minutes was a wee bit shaky, including our center-backs doing a chuckle brothers routine and literally leaving the ball for the Brazil striker, unfortunately all Brazilians aren't world class, as the kid fluffed his lines. I thought Taylor and Ralston were very good. I have nothing to say about out center backs and they had nothing to do, apart from the final 10 or so minutes when they pinned us back, but all-in-all, both stood up well.

The midfield done very well, very composed and organized and at moments they showed signs of promise. Special praise goes to Magennis, he didn't do much in this match, but you can just tell that this kid has something really special. And Burke did make the difference, as well as making several good runs with the ball, he tracked back.

Brazil did claim two penalties at the last few minutes of the match, neither were, to be honest, but I've seen them given, especially the first one when the ball strikes the arms of our defender.

It was a good performance. But let's get this into perspective, Brazil only had 1 or 2 players who have played for their clubs, they were inexperienced and they showed it. If they closed us down more then it may have been a different outcome.

As for Burke people promoted to the full squad for the England game? Keep him where he is,

For Aussie P+B cobbers with Foxtel the games are being shown live on ESPN but listed as Tournoi Maurice Revello-Provence. The Scotland v Indonesia game listed as 00:20 SA, 00:50 East Coast on 7 June or 22:50 WA on 6 June.

Going by wiki (because the coverage of this is shite) a win should see us qualify at least as the best second placed side, as long as Wales don't beat the Ivory Coast tonight.  We could qualify as a group winner (if the sorting of groups is fairly standard) by Brazil winning by at least 2 and us winning by the same or better.  Think a draw won't be enough.

The coverage for this is really shocking. Watching it on a thumbnail on bet365 is piss poor. Alba or someone could have picked it up, surely?
Even on Saturday sportsound they were waffling about Chic Young's horse racing anecdotes without even mentioning that our u20s were playing Brazil!

Archived