Fracking

Jambomo

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't that be covered by the moratorium?

I wouldn't imagine so, as it goes on every day. Maybe the moratorium only relates to onshore sites.
"Fracking" relates to fracturing the oil holding rock structure. Mainly done by use of explosives, but certain chemical combinations can also be used.This enables the oil to flow to the well.
More recently, the term has been used to describe any action where anything other than natural "downhole" pressure is required to either fragment the rock or re-inject to maximise production.

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

We're using gas now.  Nuclear is too expensive and too dirty.

Have you figured out what onshore fracking has to do with our energy needs yet?

Just now, dogmc said:

Fracking has nothing to do with meeting our energy needs and everything to do with multinationals corporations filling their pockets.

So what happens wit this gas from "onshore fracking"?

Nuclear seems pretty good to me.

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

It's often oil and gas and it goes to refineries or gets stored in gasometers.  It's the damage caused by extracting it that's the problem.

5 minutes ago, Romeo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station

Read about the "strike price".  Hinkley will produce the most expensive power in the UK - almost twice the average.  The cost to build including finance is £24.5 Bn and that's before you even consider the billions it'll take to clear up when it's redundant. 

As for dirty, check out the mess that Sellafield made of its surroundings.  Hope you like plutonium rich teeth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield

Nuclear is horrifically expensive in terms of dealing with the waste and decommissioning. Scotland has no need at all for nuclear power. When you see a nuclear power plant next to London you'll know it's completely safe and consequence free.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

It's often oil and gas and it goes to refineries or gets stored in gasometers.  It's the damage caused by extracting it that's the problem.

And then what is it used for if not for energy?

Archived