The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2017-2018

glensmad

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:

A lot hinges on this weekend's results.

If we match Irvine Meadow's result this weekend (in terms of goal difference), then any form of win in our last game (Glens v Meadow) would be enough for us to finish above them.

However, if we were both to lose this weekend then Cumbernauld could slip in to 6th place if they beat Largs and we beat Meadow.

Still a lot of "ifs" and "buts". We'll know better where we all stand after Saturday's games.

Great league so it is.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so it's on to Saturday and a huge day in the promotion / play-off mix :-

Darvel Juniors (9th) v Shettleston (13th)

Kello Rovers (11th) v Larkhall Thistle (12th)

Kilsyth Rangers (10th) v Irvine Meadow XI (6th)

Troon (4th) v Rutherglen Glencairn (8th)

Your thoughts ?

40 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Great league so it is.

Its a great finish to the league, we just hope results go our way and we can take it to the last game against Largs.

Think the 'Glens' need to take a least a point on Saturday as doubt 43 will be enough. Anyway I will be at Kilsyth to  see if our neighbours can do us a turn.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Ok, so it's on to Saturday and a huge day in the promotion / play-off mix :-

Darvel Juniors 2 v Shettleston 0

Kello Rovers 0 v Larkhall Thistle 2

Kilsyth Rangers 1 v Irvine Meadow XI 3

Troon 1 v Rutherglen Glencairn 1

Your thoughts ?

I have put my predictions above. I genuinely hope our neighbours from along the road can get up it would be great if both of us got back to the top league.  Just thinking Largs must be unhappy. I think there last league game was 3/4 weeks ago and nothing pencilled in. If glencairn did lose on Saturday then Renfrew will really start to doubt if they can go up . There is a good chance they could finish 5th or even 6th.

40 minutes ago, dk81130 said:

I have put my predictions above. I genuinely hope our neighbours from along the road can get up it would be great if both of us got back to the top league.  Just thinking Largs must be unhappy. I think there last league game was 3/4 weeks ago and nothing pencilled in. If glencairn did lose on Saturday then Renfrew will really start to doubt if they can go up . There is a good chance they could finish 5th or even 6th.

Unfortunately your predictions would mean we would be out of it, unless Largs lost their last two games (unlikely against Shettleston) and we beat Meadow by more than Cumbernauld beat Largs. Too many scenarios for my head to cope with.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Unfortunately your predictions would mean we would be out of it, unless Largs lost their last two games (unlikely against Shettleston) and we beat Meadow by more than Cumbernauld beat Largs. Too many scenarios for my head to cope with.

That’s how we thought another season in this league would do us a favour , just to try and get our heads prepared for it ha 

36 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

That’s how we thought another season in this league would do us a favour , just to try and get our heads prepared for it ha 

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that a good season this year will mean a good season next year.

Shettleston and Kilsyth narrowly missed out on promotion last year, but are down at the bottom end of the table this year.

Also the whole atmosphere in this league will change next season with it being 16 teams and 3 up and 3 down. It won't be as cut-throat as 4 down out of 14, so teams will have a bit of breathing space, but it may add to the end of season mid-table meaningless matches, of which there are usually very few in this league up till now.

A bizarre change of form in the last couple of months seen Cambuslang go from losing about 6 league games in a row which was interrupted by the clubs biggest ever win in the 119 year history of the club (15 -0 central league cup win against Newmains United) to winning our last 4 league games without conceding a goal. 

Delighted for the club & a big well done to Paul McColl , Jimmy kerr , Billy Campbell & John Mckeown & ofcourse the players.

Did'nt look like we'd get promotion a couple of weeks ago , but we managed to regroup & come on strong again at the right time.

47 minutes ago, blue manalishi said:

A bizarre change of form in the last couple of months seen Cambuslang go from losing about 6 league games in a row which was interrupted by the clubs biggest ever win in the 119 year history of the club (15 -0 central league cup win against Newmains United) to winning our last 4 league games without conceding a goal. 

Delighted for the club & a big well done to Paul McColl , Jimmy kerr , Billy Campbell & John Mckeown & ofcourse the players.

Did'nt look like we'd get promotion a couple of weeks ago , but we managed to regroup & come on strong again at the right time.

Aye good luck to yous in premiership 

52 minutes ago, blue manalishi said:

I had a look at your fixtures in the run-in and knew at that point that you would have enough to get over the line for automatic promotion. The big hurdle was the Cumbernauld game, and you could see from the players' reaction to the first goal that day that it was a big moment for 'Lang in the run-in.

Being honest at this time of year it can be a bit of a lottery? I will still have a wee  guess but no money will be going on!

Darvel Juniors (9th) v Shettleston (13th)           2 -1

Kello Rovers (11th) v Larkhall Thistle (12th)  2-1

Kilsyth Rangers (10th) v Irvine Meadow XI (6th) 0-2

Troon (4th) v Rutherglen Glencairn (8th) 3-2

On 17/05/2018 at 10:18, dk81130 said:

It does seem strange that Largs had played a lot more games and now are going to be playing catch up! Quite bizarre!

It does seem strange that Largs had played a lot more games and now are going to be playing catch up! Quite bizarre!
Bizarre indeed, some might say unfair, like last season when they played their last league game 58 days after their second last one!

On 31/05/2017 at 22:47, Darvel Pie said:

Obviously hoping that Darvel do a "Girvan" next season

On 31/05/2017 at 22:55, Darvel legend said:

We will certainly finish above meadow 

their new manager won't improve them 

looking forward to goin to new places 

Just Two Of The Comedy Gold Quotes From The Chuckle Brothers After Darvel WonThe ADL,Fantastic Guys Keep Up the Good Work Doon The Brae,Fling Money At It And Its Bound To Work Out Some Time,ITS GOOD TO BE US,WENT BACKWARDS INSTEAD OF FORWARDS,:whistle

Bizarre indeed, some might say unfair, like last season when they played their last league game 58 days after their second last one!
Or some might say it'll be in Largs' favour knowing what they need to do when all the other teams are finished.

Or some might say it'll be in Largs' favour knowing what they need to do when all the other teams are finished.
Still unfair to someone. All the teams in promotion / playoff contention should be playing league games today. Even if nothing else changes in the fixtures, the Saturdays in May should have full league programmes set in stone as early as possible and then the cup fixtures could be shoe horned in around them.

Archived