The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2017-2018

glensmad

What is happening or happened with Largs v Cambuslang Rangers game that got abandoned? Looking at SJFA website it is just getting replayed?

Yes,just waiting for a date. We play in the west cup next weekend which happens to be in Largs

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Shannon said:

What is happening or happened with Largs v Cambuslang Rangers game that got abandoned? Looking at SJFA website it is just getting replayed?

Both clubs fined and fixture to be replayed.

Saturday's fixtures :-

Cumbernauld United (10th) v Troon (5th)

Irvine Meadow XI (7th) v Cambuslang Rangers (2nd)

Kello Rovers (11th) v Renfrew (3rd)

Largs Thistle (4th) v Kilsyth Rangers (9th)

Larkhall Thistle (12th) v Darvel Juniors (8th)

Rutherglen Glencairn (6th) v Maryhill (14th)

Shettleston (13th) v Petershill (1st)

Your thoughts ?

We were shocking yesterday, Troon were worthy winners. If we’re to climb up the table we have to be more consistent. If we win the next 2 games we could go into the play off place on goal difference, such is the competitive nature of this league that if you can go on a run of 3 or 4 wins you’ll shoot right up the table

8 hours ago, TheNauld said:

We were shocking yesterday, Troon were worthy winners. If we’re to climb up the table we have to be more consistent. If we win the next 2 games we could go into the play off place on goal difference, such is the competitive nature of this league that if you can go on a run of 3 or 4 wins you’ll shoot right up the table

Yep, it's as tight as ever. We're in the play-off place at the moment, but Meadow are right on our tails with a game in hand, and we've still to play each other twice. Cumbernauld could also go above us if they win their two games in hand, and we've also still to play each other at Guy's Meadow.

Looking up the way from our position, our games in hand and matches still to play mean that it's in our own hands to catch Troon, Largs and Renfrew. There's a lot of football still to be played, but a run of wins right now (like we did last year and like what Meadow appear to be doing at the moment) can lift you into a really good position at the right time.

I wonder if the new "Championship" (stupid name) league next season will be as competitive with 3 going up and 3 going down out of 16 ? Somehow I doubt it.

Another good win for the Peasy today, think this result makes it even more difficult for Renfrew now to win the league. Still a load of difficult games left but onwards and upwards now to the end of the season.

I don't think Renfew have really been title contenders at any point, never mind after today's result. They are unquestionably in a great position for automatic promotion, but they were 9 points behind Peasy before kick off today and have also played a game more. The title has been a straight race between Peasy and Cambuslang for months in my opinion.

Not that we've been in this position very often recently but I've found that you start looking through the table and ticking off the teams that can't or are unlikely to catch you. As Peasyman says it now looks unlikely Renfrew will be able to top us. Massive game away to Cambuslang a week on Wednesday not quite a title decider but it could've been if left until later in the season. I understand the fixture man has tried to keep the first few midweek games as local as possible but would've liked to have seen this game in about 3 or 4 weeks time. As for Peasy we managed 49 points in total last season and finished fourth, we've now got 48 with 7 games remaining so barring a total collapse it looks like we will be going up. 

Petershill and Cambuslang will go up, absolutely no doubt.

The six teams currently sitting 3rd to 8th will be the ones battling for the remaining two automatic promotion places and the two play-off spots.

Not that we've been in this position very often recently but I've found that you start looking through the table and ticking off the teams that can't or are unlikely to catch you. As Peasyman says it now looks unlikely Renfrew will be able to top us. Massive game away to Cambuslang a week on Wednesday not quite a title decider but it could've been if left until later in the season. I understand the fixture man has tried to keep the first few midweek games as local as possible but would've liked to have seen this game in about 3 or 4 weeks time. As for Peasy we managed 49 points in total last season and finished fourth, we've now got 48 with 7 games remaining so barring a total collapse it looks like we will be going up. 

Agree with all of the above, have counted about 5 teams already that can't catch us and one more win takes Largs out the equation too

Agree with all of the above, have counted about 5 teams already that can't catch us and one more win takes Largs out the equation too

The bottom six can't catch Petershill, and yes you're correct one more win would add Largs to that list as well. At least you know you won't be relegated. [emoji16]

My forecast; the 4 automatic promotion places + the 2 play-offs will come from the top seven as the league currently stands. Largs have the points on board but will drop into a play-off spot, as perhaps will Renfrew. Glens and Meadow are well behind but have plenty of games in hand and could make it by putting a good run together. Meadow I think will be the ones to do it with Glencairn again being too inconsistent.

The two relegation play-offs will be Maryhill and Shettleston, both will go down no matter who they play. Larkhall have just enough with there games in hand to stay up and Kello also. The remaining 3; Kilsyth, Darvel and Cumbernauld will have an undignified scramble  for best of the rest.

Cumbernauld, were they to win their game on Saturday, would be level with Glencairn.
Remember not everyone will win all their games in hand and surely some of the teams between 3 - 7 have still to play against each other?? Largs may have the points but are running out of games to get enough of a gap ahead of the chasing pack. It'll be an interesting end to the season.

Remember not everyone will win all their games in hand and surely some of the teams between 3 - 7 have still to play against each other?? Largs may have the points but are running out of games to get enough of a gap ahead of the chasing pack. It'll be an interesting end to the season.

Correct, each team can only deal in what they can directly influence and wait to see what happens elsewhere. As it stands at the moment, if we were to win all our games for the rest of the season (unlikely for any team), we would finish at least 3rd. It's in our own hands, but the other teams will all be saying the same thing.

Correct, each team can only deal in what they can directly influence and wait to see what happens elsewhere. As it stands at the moment, if we were to win all our games for the rest of the season (unlikely for any team), we would finish at least 3rd. It's in our own hands, but the other teams will all be saying the same thing.
That's it, it's all in each teams hands. Looks like lots of meaningful games to play for a change as the season winds down

Archived