The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2017-2018

glensmad

I wonder what the ramifications will be regarding the abandonment of Largs v Cambuslang on Saturday. I suppose it will all depend on what the referee's report says, but an abandoned competitive match due to the alleged misbehaviour of players and officials is a serious matter.
Has there been a precedent for this kind of abandonment in a competitive game ? I can't think of one off hand, but if there is then can anybody remember what action (if any) was taken ?

Lets wait wait and see what,if anything, the ref reports

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Deduction of points would do just fine ;)

I know that was a tongue-in-cheek response, but I don't know if there is anything in the rules which would allow the West Region to make such a decision. I know points have been deducted on numerous occasions for ineligible players, but I can't think of a precedent where a match was abandoned due to the alleged misbehaviour of players and management.

The referee's report will be the crucial thing in this, it is possible that he could report individuals for violent conduct, which carries a ban for several games and a fine. I'm talking hypothetically here, as nobody really knows what happened apart from the people at the game, and they all seem have got collective blindness and sore throats. :whistle

From West Region rules:

If a match is brought to a premature finish through the conduct of its officials, players or supporters of one of the contesting clubs, in a Cup tie the game may be awarded to their opponents irrespective of the score at the time of abandonment of the game. Similarly in a League game, full points may be awarded to the opponents. In both instances the Committee may take any further action against the offending club.

“Any further action” leaves the punishments wide open to interpretation.

Anything from Admonished to being hanged by the neck until dead.

If both clubs are involved in such behaviour, obviously the match result is not open to being awarded.

I know that was a tongue-in-cheek response, but I don't know if there is anything in the rules which would allow the West Region to make such a decision. I know points have been deducted on numerous occasions for ineligible players, but I can't think of a precedent where a match was abandoned due to the alleged misbehaviour of players and management.

The referee's report will be the crucial thing in this, it is possible that he could report individuals for violent conduct, which carries a ban for several games and a fine. I'm talking hypothetically here, as nobody really knows what happened apart from the people at the game, and they all seem have got collective blindness and sore throats. :whistle

The match will be replayed there is no doubt about that! From what can be gathered from the people who have spoken on various socially media sites is that it was merely handbags between both. I think if there was anything more sinister then police would have been called. Potential punishment for individuals if the ref has seen anything, potential fine for both clubs and the match replayed is the most likely outcome.

6 minutes ago, spud4 said:

The match will be replayed there is no doubt about that! From what can be gathered from the people who have spoken on various socially media sites is that it was merely handbags between both. I think if there was anything more sinister then police would have been called. Potential punishment for individuals if the ref has seen anything, potential fine for both clubs and the match replayed is the most likely outcome.

The ref must have seen something or he wouldn't have seen fit to abandon the match.

The match will unquestionably be replayed, which Largs will be a bit miffed about as they were ahead and playing against ten men, but that's the rules (I think).

The ref must have seen something or he wouldn't have seen fit to abandon the match.
The match will unquestionably be replayed, which Largs will be a bit miffed about as they were ahead and playing against ten men, but that's the rules (I think).

I agree the ref has seen something he didn’t like. Now wether the rest of us think that’s enough to abandon a game is anyone’s guess. Largs will definitely be miffed due to the circumstances around the game but it would appear from the outside and what’s been said that both clubs seem to be at fault. Strange situation to be honest.

Wrong, the referee didn't see anything.

49 minutes ago, thelangonline said:
4 hours ago, glensmad said:

Wrong, the referee didn't see anything.

Why would he abandon the match then, if he didn't see anything ?

I can understand people connected to the two clubs not wanting to say anything about what went on, but if the referee saw nothing then surely somebody in some official capacity at the game (assistant referee or observer) saw something which was serious enough to persuade the referee that the match had to be abandoned.

I can understand people connected to the two clubs not wanting to say anything about what went on, but if the referee saw nothing then surely somebody in some official capacity at the game (assistant referee or observer) saw something which was serious enough to persuade the referee that the match had to be abandoned.

He was advised by something one of his assistants think they seen.

I was too far away to see anything, as were most people. We were still under the covered terracing when the handbags were oot.

7 minutes ago, thelangonline said:

He was advised by something one of his assistants think they seen.

Presumably that will be in the referee's report then. Were any players or officials called to the referee's room after the abandonment of the match ?

Presumably that will be in the referee's report then. Were any players or officials called to the referee's room after the abandonment of the match ?
Its all in the report. Our assistant manager and Largs manager were called to refs room to be informed of abandonment

1 minute ago, thelangonline said:
3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Its all in the report. Our assistant manager and Largs manager were called to refs room to be informed of abandonment

Why your assistant...is it not usually the Manager and Secretary that are called for........

A game was abandoned because someone "thought they saw something"? Surely there has to be more to it or the ref would never have been allowed to abandon the game.
Hence why everyone was amazed the game was abandoned. Complete overreaction by match officials.

Archived