Confederations Cup 2017

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69

We need to see what the security guards in the shopping centre are reviewing , otherwise it seems pointless

I didn't agree with it's use for the second time today but I don't mind waiting a minute to get the right decision. Much better use of time than waiting for a dying swan of a cheat to get imaginary treatment for the tenth time. 

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Good finish but very lucky the way the ball fell.

The TMO system seems to work well in rugby but doesn't move across to football at all well.

One concern I'd have is that, like in rugby, refs resorting to it ever-increasingly "just to make sure". Considerably disrupts flow and rugby's largely set-piece.

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

One concern I'd have is that, like in rugby, refs resorting to it ever-increasingly "just to make sure". Considerably disrupts flow and rugby's largely set-piece.

The two sports also have very different rhythms.  In football it's either a goal or a free kick to the defending side.  In rugby it could be a try, penalty to the defending team, a scrum to either side, a line out or a drop out.  In some of those cases the attacking team could still have a threatening position.

In rugby play has stopped though... normally the ball has been grounded and so it's a question of whether a try has been scored or whether there is some reason not to award the try.

In football the game is free-flowing. There will be a lot of situations where the ball has not gone out of play, and so you'll have to stop play to go to the video... or perhaps play on only to have to bring it back to something which happened at the other end of the pitch some time previously. As I mentioned Portugal's goal was scrubbed for offside in an earlier phase - but what if Mexico had been counter-attacking off the blocked free-kick?

19 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Didn't pretty much all of Italy's squad for the Euros last summer play in Serie A? They were a penalty shout-out away from the final as opposed to getting papped out in the quarters by an island in the Atlantic with a similar population to Fife.

Got knocked out at quarters to be fair.

Guest DAVIDB69

Early signs suggest Cameroon look absolutely dire and I always associate them as one of the better African sides . They also remind me why extending the World Cup to incorporate more dross isn't a good idea

Archived