Larkhall Thistle 17/18

jackson

13 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

That's well harsh , he took over when richardson /mitchell had left with no squad after being promoted into the top league , and that season we finished a respectable mid table finish !
Out of order imo.

He inherited a very decent squad who did do reasonably well first season back in Premier but failed to strengthen it and within two seasons we went back down with only seven points from 22 games. His record at Lesmahagow was little better, nothing against him ;personally, but i don't think he was really cut out to be a good manager. Lets see how he does this coming season.

He inherited a very decent squad who did do reasonably well first season back in Premier but failed to strengthen it and within two seasons we went back down with only seven points from 22 games. His record at Lesmahagow was little better, nothing against him ;personally, but i don't think he was really cut out to be a good manager. Lets see how he does this coming season.

Decent squad ? The heart had been ripped right out the team , vaugh , paul and davy campbell , jamie prunty and gary carberry etc ; big sinky did well that initial season , yer talkin mince man !

12 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

Decent squad ? The heart had been ripped right out the team , vaugh , paul and davy campbell , jamie prunty and gary carberry etc ; big sinky did well that initial season , yer talkin mince man !

It's yourself talking mince, Chalmers, Prunty, Paul Campbell, Gary McStay, Carberry were all still with us during his first season in charge and we did play well at first under big Dunky finishing in mid table . It was the following season when John Richardson had come back to manage Rob Roy that a few of these guys jumped ship, it was obvious who they prefered to play for. The replacements he brought in were not of the same quality and we had slipped to eighth place in the Premier.

The following season was a complete shambles and we finished SIXTEEN points below Shotts in the bottom position. Thats when he resigned, not sacked, and Matty Coulter came in. Matty got a lot of stick, but he did bring in a few decent players including Micheal Duke who is still here, nine years later.

I maintain my position that Dunky was a very good player in his day, but despite getting Larkhall promoted this season, only a distinctly average manager. Not at all an unusual situation. managing and recruiting players is very different from leading on the park.

3 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

Al bow down to your knowledge on that one an admit my mistake then , your still wrong bout him managing the gow it was lanark .

I'll admit that one, I only have detailed records for our own club, not every one in the district!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived