Brechin City Season 2017/2018

That much of a risk hes just banged in a hat trick against a premier team ... Ye some weeks though it was like he was fed up.. But him n Jacko had a great understanding defo a big miss ...

There is no doubting his quality, we all know what he's capable of and he showed that for Albion last night. However let's see if he stays fit for any length of time. He's no use to us if he's missing half the games and on a good wage.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gm_1982 said:

There is no doubting his quality, we all know what he's capable of and he showed that for Albion last night. However let's see if he stays fit for any length of time. He's no use to us if he's missing half the games and on a good wage.

And that is, I think the reason he was allowed to go. However half a season in top shape might be better than a full season for others!

We will have played 9 games before the 5th August which seems alot (mostly Sat / Tues) - does the Betfred offer best value for punters after a short close season? Or indeed players?

9 hours ago, Mattie1880 said:

Was that near enough your best 11 last night? :unsure:

It's probably our best starting 11, maybe 2/3 positions that could go to a couple of players but most players are much the same, do we really need so many defenders We have 9 defenders,

1 hour ago, Overthehedge1 said:

It's probably our best starting 11, maybe 2/3 positions that could go to a couple of players but most players are much the same, do we really need so many defenders We have 9 defenders,

Good luck next season then :blink:

Everyone just chill out ....Darren Dods IS a wizard, remember ????                                                                                                                                                                                    We are playing 9:1 formation, everything will be ok. Thats why Trouts had to go , no place for him .                                                                                                                                             I would have liked him to stay . Looking at Steves squad list in the squad list thread i didnt realise just how bare we are for forwards. But it wont matter cause we will have Buzz and 9 men in front of him allowing Jacko to hit on the break and help us sneak a load of 1~0 wins. Everything will be fine just fine............

9 hours ago, underpar said:

Everyone just chill out ....Darren Dods IS a wizard, remember ????                                                                                                                                                                                    We are playing 9:1 formation, everything will be ok. Thats why Trouts had to go , no place for him .                                                                                                                                             I would have liked him to stay . Looking at Steves squad list in the squad list thread i didnt realise just how bare we are for forwards. But it wont matter cause we will have Buzz and 9 men in front of him allowing Jacko to hit on the break and help us sneak a load of 1~0 wins. Everything will be fine just fine............

Lol, can't wait to see how optimistic you are after 6 or 7 1-0 defeats, I'd rather have kept trouts and had a real go, I want to be entertained not bored to death each week!! We are far to negative 

On 7/26/2017 at 06:06, slangs said:

Same wages or less I'm lead to believe.its all about being in the black, we would have received a sum for getting promoted but small clubs need investment so they can try and attract the players we desire which is difficult if we don't pay more.i would like to know how the board are thinking.so unless they still have a plan we're left with what we've got.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:32, Silverton End said:

I was fairly surprised that Trouten left Brechin, think he'd have done well in The Championship for you. 

On 7/26/2017 at 10:54, slangs said:

Could have been a number of reasons money,coaching,travel only he knows didn't light the heather last season either

All was explained at the AGM .  Perfectly valid reasons given for budget restraints and also Trouten's release.  I would suggest all the doubters ask any of the committee to explain to them before ranting on here .   

9 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Lol, can't wait to see how optimistic you are after 6 or 7 1-0 defeats, I'd rather have kept trouts and had a real go, I want to be entertained not bored to death each week!! We are far to negative 

How many games was Trouten actually fit to play for us last season ?  Or more to the point , how many games did he actually play to his potential ?   There was a lot of negative stuff posted last season about his loss of form.  We are a league up this season. 

Trouts was one of the so called experienced players that should have made a difference.unfortunately for us for whatever the reason it didn't happen.there will always be a bit of negative posts when we expect that bit more.pleased to hear the committee are up for letting us know what's happening

1 hour ago, slangs said:

Trouts was one of the so called experienced players that should have made a difference.unfortunately for us for whatever the reason it didn't happen.there will always be a bit of negative posts when we expect that bit more.pleased to hear the committee are up for letting us know what's happening

A bit ???   The last couple of pages are wrist slashing material to say the least !!! :(

37 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

A bit ???   The last couple of pages are wrist slashing material to say the least !!! :(

To be fair i think its the fact we can t see where our goals are gonna come from and Troutons scoring for fun ..But your right books have to be balanced 

Just now, CITY1974 said:

To be fair i think its the fact we can t see where our goals are gonna come from and Troutons scoring for fun ..But your right books have to be balanced 

Just take it as it comes.  In reality we are still in pre season mode with last year's squad just returning from the shortest summer break in our history and the others trying to fit in.   Expecting everything to just suddenly click into action is a bit unrealistic. This cup is basically a warm up to the season for clubs like us , dreamed up as another way to ensure the smaller teams are at a disadvantage to allow the bigger clubs to progress to the knockout stage.  It's what the sponsors expect and demand after all. 

As for Trouten , he obviously is revelling just now with the regional set up of this cup which means he is travelling half the distance for matches and training .  This played a major part in his fitness levels last season as the strains he picked up weren't helped by  having to drive to and  from his Ayrshire home. 

How can there be negativity from City fans? Got a Championship season to look forward to ffs!

It's quite incredible isn't it. As a supporter you want your team to play at the very highest level possible, and realistically we are effectively there yet some are still finding things to complain about. Survival in the this division is about as far as we can go and what an achievement it would be if we could somehow manage that.

What some may not realise is that if we stayed in league 1, then we'd have had to make major cuts and would have likely been fighting against relegation to league 2. Anyone that was at the AGM would know just how testing last year was financially and the extra revenue from the larger gates this season will go a long way to securing the future of the club for years to come.

At the risk of repeating myself on here, we are going into the season with a part time side on an average league 1 budget. This is stark contrast to some of our opposition...just look at some of the season ticket sales for the clubs in the Championship, it's over 20 times as much as ours and that's no exaggeration.

Yes we've had some disappointing results and performances of late. Failing to beat Forfar and Stirling isn't ideal preparation for the Championship but as others have said this cup has turned into a glorified pre-season tournament.

Let's enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.

14 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

I guess we have a different outlook to each other. I too would have liked to have kept Trouts as i really enjoyed watching him in his first spell with us. Last season i was looking for that same player. I'm optimistic and upbeat because Dods first season in charge could have seen us drop into League 2 but here we are heading towards a season of Championship football. We wont get any higher than this and going to be repeating myself on here but i plan to drink it all in as you never know when it will come round again. I strongly suggest that all City fans this coming season do the same , results in the League Cup ( a competition destroyed by the powers that be imo ) havn't been good but who cares ? Its early days but we as City fans should stand that little bit taller , walk with added swagger , and allow a wee turned up snob like nose at the diddy teams in League 1 and 2. The reason ? .....I'm extremely proud of what MY team achieved last season as should we all. We are Brechin City......from the Championship...it probs will only be for one season but we ARE here and maybe you should lighten your outlook a tad as the real achievement was actually getting into this league and rubbing shoulders with the teams in it is going to a real bonus. I wouldn't want you going into this worried about whats going to happen ....the League season ahead is a total free hit . If we come down ..no surprise . But what if.....?    Anyway like i said we have a different outlook , it dosen't make one of us right and one of us wrong. Try to enjoy it cause it wont be long in passing . Dont let it pass you by. :thumsup2

13 hours ago, 'Steve said:

It's quite incredible isn't it. As a supporter you want your team to play at the very highest level possible, and realistically we are effectively there yet some are still finding things to complain about. Survival in the this division is about as far as we can go and what an achievement it would be if we could somehow manage that.

What some may not realise is that if we stayed in league 1, then we'd have had to make major cuts and would have likely been fighting against relegation to league 2. Anyone that was at the AGM would know just how testing last year was financially and the extra revenue from the larger gates this season will go a long way to securing the future of the club for years to come.

At the risk of repeating myself on here, we are going into the season with a part time side on an average league 1 budget. This is stark contrast to some of our opposition...just look at some of the season ticket sales for the clubs in the Championship, it's over 20 times as much as ours and that's no exaggeration.

Yes we've had some disappointing results and performances of late. Failing to beat Forfar and Stirling isn't ideal preparation for the Championship but as others have said this cup has turned into a glorified pre-season tournament.

Let's enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.

11 hours ago, underpar said:

I guess we have a different outlook to each other. I too would have liked to have kept Trouts as i really enjoyed watching him in his first spell with us. Last season i was looking for that same player. I'm optimistic and upbeat because Dods first season in charge could have seen us drop into League 2 but here we are heading towards a season of Championship football. We wont get any higher than this and going to be repeating myself on here but i plan to drink it all in as you never know when it will come round again. I strongly suggest that all City fans this coming season do the same , results in the League Cup ( a competition destroyed by the powers that be imo ) havn't been good but who cares ? Its early days but we as City fans should stand that little bit taller , walk with added swagger , and allow a wee turned up snob like nose at the diddy teams in League 1 and 2. The reason ? .....I'm extremely proud of what MY team achieved last season as should we all. We are Brechin City......from the Championship...it probs will only be for one season but we ARE here and maybe you should lighten your outlook a tad as the real achievement was actually getting into this league and rubbing shoulders with the teams in it is going to a real bonus. I wouldn't want you going into this worried about whats going to happen ....the League season ahead is a total free hit . If we come down ..no surprise . But what if.....?    Anyway like i said we have a different outlook , it dosen't make one of us right and one of us wrong. Try to enjoy it cause it wont be long in passing . Dont let it pass you by. :thumsup2

Agree with both - mostly.

Agree with both points. None of us expected for us to be in the championship this season we are a small part time club have achieved well above our weight and should be proud of where we are. I for sure will enjoy our time in the championship as it might not happen again and it will ensure the future of our club. Although I'll always be shouting for a city win

Far be it from me to be patronizing, that's especially reserved for Cowdenbeath, but Dumbarton have survived way longer than anyone expected and there's no reason why Brechin can't do the same.
This league isn't as good as you might think, clubs like Queens, Morton and St Mirren are actually fucking guff and whilst ourselves, Dundee Utd and Falkirk might be a little further ahead, you'll probably take points off everyone.

Inverness are there for the taking too.

If it lasts one season fine, better having it than not, right? If it's longer, it's a fucking massive hats off to everyone involved.

Archived