Brechin City Season 2017/2018

13 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

Nope.

I would nt want him out either I think committees gotta take a wee gamble though .Everyone on terraces can see the problem so i m sure they must.. Put a couple lads out on loan till January and bring in a couple better standard loanees if thats a possibilty..Our defence will settle i m sure. Did we have a good crowd up last night

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

I would nt want him out either I think committees gotta take a wee gamble though .Everyone on terraces can see the problem so i m sure they must.. Put a couple lads out on loan till January and bring in a couple better standard loanees if thats a possibilty..Our defence will settle i m sure. Did we have a good crowd up last night

Again, nope

1 hour ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Yea you keep on saying about bringing in better players but not coming up with where we get the money to pay for all these better players WE ARE BROKE ( Cregg signed for Farfar  )

Olly shaw/ Fleming  for issacc

flannagin for lynas and ford 

scott Mc bride for love

jason marr for euan smith (only coz he won't play)

cregg for graham/ O'Neil 

thats just off the top of my head players who where available who are proven at this level

Players need to be brave and want the ball,don't have enuf of them, back to hoof ball, now this is happening from so called experienced players Guaranteed a game no matter what, it happened last season too some seem to accept if they run about and look like they put in a bit of effort that will do,well it won't. individual players are suffering because of this. Cronyism is and has been one of our problems

2 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Olly shaw/ Fleming  for issacc

flannagin for lynas and ford 

scott Mc bride for love

jason marr for euan smith (only coz he won't play)

cregg for graham/ O'Neil 

thats just off the top of my head players who where available who are proven at this level

It's clearly money that's the issue, it's all fine and well saying "why not sign him" but clearly Brechin aren't able to offer the best wages. Dougie Hill left because Dods couldn't offer him the wage he wanted, it's entirely possible the majority of players you mention there were the same. By the way, is the Fleming mentioned above Garry Fleming?

I can understand the annoyance from some (and I don't want to sound condescending here) but in our first season here we stuck with the majority of League 1 standard players and added some jobbers like Jim Lister and Andy Graham. We didn't spend a huge amount more than we would've done in League 1, but we somehow managed to stay up and each year we've been able to spend a bit more as the higher prize money rolls in (finishing 5th in our second season here helped a bit no doubt). Breaking the bank in your first season to then fail is a dangerous game to play.  Keep a modest budget, wipe out your debt and then even if you go down you'll be in a stronger position to attack League 1. It means this season will have a few humpings but I've no doubt you'll take some scalps along the way to make it worthwhile. 

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's clearly money that's the issue, it's all fine and well saying "why not sign him" but clearly Brechin aren't able to offer the best wages. Dougie Hill left because Dods couldn't offer him the wage he wanted, it's entirely possible the majority of players you mention there were the same. By the way, is the Fleming mentioned above Garry Fleming?

I can understand the annoyance from some (and I don't want to sound condescending here) but in our first season here we stuck with the majority of League 1 standard players and added some jobbers like Jim Lister and Andy Graham. We didn't spend a huge amount more than we would've done in League 1, but we somehow managed to stay up and each year we've been able to spend a bit more as the higher prize money rolls in (finishing 5th in our second season here helped a bit no doubt). Breaking the bank in your first season to then fail is a dangerous game to play.  Keep a modest budget, wipe out your debt and then even if you go down you'll be in a stronger position to attack League 1. It means this season will have a few humpings but I've no doubt you'll take some scalps along the way to make it worthwhile. 

I understand what ur saying moonster, hill is looking like a big loss but glad he is doing well with Dumbarton as he was quality for us,

could have got at least a couple of the players mentioned for the wages we are paying our existing players, our budget is supposed to be the same as last year and we are a worse team,

yes I was talking about Garry Fleming 

dods hasn't made the most of his budget

15 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

I understand what ur saying moonster, hill is looking like a big loss but glad he is doing well with Dumbarton as he was quality for us,

could have got at least a couple of the players mentioned for the wages we are paying our existing players, our budget is supposed to be the same as last year and we are a worse team,

yes I was talking about Garry Fleming 

dods hasn't made the most of his budget

Sure, Dods could sacrifice a couple of your squad players and give that to 1 experienced player, but I can only imagine Dods has preferred to stick to what he knows rather than risk a big wage on someone who's finished or ends up injured, which can sometimes be the better route to take when working with such a small budget. It's a difficult call to make.

As for Garry Fleming, I love the guy and would love to have seen him finish his career with us, but from a footballing perspective he wasn't offering enough in this division and had question marks over his fitness. He would've grabbed you a few goals no doubt but I can't say I'm sure he'd be better than what you've got.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Sure, Dods could sacrifice a couple of your squad players and give that to 1 experienced player, but I can only imagine Dods has preferred to stick to what he knows rather than risk a big wage on someone who's finished or ends up injured, which can sometimes be the better route to take when working with such a small budget. It's a difficult call to make.

As for Garry Fleming, I love the guy and would love to have seen him finish his career with us, but from a footballing perspective he wasn't offering enough in this division and had question marks over his fitness. He would've grabbed you a few goals no doubt but I can't say I'm sure he'd be better than what you've got.

You obviously haven't seen Issac play 

7 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

You obviously haven't seen Issac play 

You can have gary fleming as far as i am concerned, he has been poor so far, not impressed at all , can see why he was freed.

so how is layne doing seeing as some of you wanted him so badly ?

It should be remembered Fleming was on a decent wage with ourselves after winning our player of the year award in 15/16. Add to the fact he has a young child and had a few issues off the field last season, I really couldn't see him signing for Brechin for peanuts with the travelling etc involved. He'll be on a reasonable wage at Alloa I'd imagine, and is geographically better suited for him.

Aitken also confirmed at our meet the manager event that at times last season he couldn't actually play Fleming, even when he wanted to, because he wasn't physically fit enough.

And there you have it. How do we know Dods had not approached these guys?

Geographically speaking we do struggle as some will not come here, even training in Falkirk / Stirling.

Hill moved on because he asked too much - we have our limitations and as such have a squad to match. We all have our ideas as to who should be in, what formation etc..Yes we might had a couple of loanees but I would be surprised if any went out on loan. One thing we can all agree on his Issac is not working for us, yet. Whereas nobody seems to be saying Jackson /  Osri can.

Lets just get behind what we have and see where it takes us.

Yep i agree Isaac has to earn his place now .When he starts we re 2 men down as he does bugger all and Jacko gives up ...Young guys like Orsi n Sinclair deserve a run .. I d rather have a keen as mustard Ally Love running about like a dafty than a primadonna Layne .. Who will during the season rattle in a few screamers i ve no doubt but until he learns to pass id bench him ... 

58 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

And there you have it. How do we know Dods had not approached these guys?

Geographically speaking we do struggle as some will not come here, even training in Falkirk / Stirling.

Hill moved on because he asked too much - we have our limitations and as such have a squad to match. We all have our ideas as to who should be in, what formation etc..Yes we might had a couple of loanees but I would be surprised if any went out on loan. One thing we can all agree on his Issac is not working for us, yet. Whereas nobody seems to be saying Jackson /  Osri can.

Lets just get behind what we have and see where it takes us.

Hill wanted to much? I thought the manager was quoted as saying hill wanted a new challenge, 

i aggree Jackson and Osri look our best option, I wouldn't play love as for all his shouting and arm swinging he doesn't give us anywhere near enough in all round play, finn is a better option out there just now in my opinion 

to be honest it's like trying to win a game of poker with a 6 - 2 we might get lucky but on a whole every other team has a better hand 

6 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

Okay, I have had time to reflect on last nights performance, IT. WAS. HORRENDOUS!

Yes the first 20 minutes or so and we moved the ball about, took the lead and were comfortable without being spectacular.

Smiths distribution was poor - he spent all game bawling at everyone to cover his poor performance, he is now beginning to anticipate shots which then looks like he is diving out the way. Our back three (Fusco, McGeaver, McLean) seemed happy to boot the ball long to Issac who could nae hold his water if it was in a bottle. This started to happen as our midfield three (Dale, Love + Finn) were doing little with it. In fact Dale was irritating the most as he kept turning round on a six pence, almost looking for the safe pass backwards which resulted in a hoof up the park - repeat pattern. I thought O'Neil and Dwyer took up good  wide positions and when they did get it tried to go forward but all too often they got slow ball and were closed down.

Everyone was guilty of poor crosses - how many went into the keepers hands? Layne and Jacko just do not work - they were far too far apart to be effective. Layne like I said could not hold the ball up, does not make runs to receive a pass and his first thought seems to be back into defender and wrestle them which puts him off balance for doing anything when the ball arrives. He lost the ball again in the lead up to the second goal however there was some horrendous defending after this. All second half we saw the writing on the wall as the ball just kept coming back as nonone was capable of holding it up or stringing passes together.

The game was crying out for us to get someone on who could run with the ball - Watt came on and was looking forward for passes but is lacking match sharpness and Orsi came on and ran at Buckie but was too little too late.

Fusco went off injured, Spark took a sore one, Finn hooked but reality is anyone could have been subbed, Love was cramping up too. Mystery of the night? How Issac managed 90 minutes.

Dods did give fringe players a chance to prove themselves and other than O'Neil none of them took it. We were also overrun in midfield as Buckie had four in there to our three. We should still have had enough to go through but Buckie certainly went for it and although being a bit industrial at times showed more desire and commitment. Good luck to them.

For us? If we play like that on Saturday we will take a battering. Over the years I have seen some poor performances but struggling to think when we had so many off their games in one match. As for Dods he will not be removed, although he was busy and shouting on Saturday he was strangely quiet last night - this may well have had some impact.

Either way lets hope this was a blip but having only one 2 out of 15 in cups is a poor show. 

Will I be at Tannadice? Likely, as that is what we do.

Mon City!

On the other hand , play like we did on Saturday and we have every chance of sneaking a result. Football is fickle. We just have to go with the flow this season. As for the other comments about who is or is not good enough , all I can say is give them time .  We have played only 2 league games and yet the panic button is being pressed at every opportunity. 

Folk have to realise that this is the squad we have at our disposal.  It is pointless stating that we need  better quality .  1.    We have no money to get better quality  and    2.   Where are we meant to find these better quality players at this stage in the season ?   They showed on Saturday that they can work together . Keep the faith lads.  

43 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Hill wanted to much? I thought the manager was quoted as saying hill wanted a new challenge, 

I've been told from a very good source that Hill was looking for more money than Brechin could afford. Whether we're paying him what he was looking for I don't know, but I've been told Dods basically told him if that's what he wanted he would need to leave. I'm not sure the challenge he's facing this season is too much different to the one he would have been facing if he was still at Brechin.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

On the other hand , play like we did on Saturday and we have every chance of sneaking a result. Football is fickle. We just have to go with the flow this season. As for the other comments about who is or is not good enough , all I can say is give them time .  We have played only 2 league games and yet the panic button is being pressed at every opportunity. 

Folk have to realise that this is the squad we have at our disposal.  It is pointless stating that we need  better quality .  1.    We have no money to get better quality  and    2.   Where are we meant to find these better quality players at this stage in the season ?   They showed on Saturday that they can work together . Keep the faith lads.  

I have the faith burning brightly.

Archived