Brechin City Season 2017/2018

Height wise we are absolutely fine at the back. Pabs, Fusco, Crighton and McGeever are all over 6 foot - so we shouldn't be losing so many goals from crosses and set pieces. Hopefully they work on this and things can be tightened up as mistakes and cheap goals are killing us, you get punished for them at this level.

I agree with lack of height in midfield and attack though. I've been saying for weeks that we need a target man upfront, but whether there is room within the budget to do this remains to be seen. I'd be tempted to give Jordan Sinclair a chance in central midfield, he's looked ok coming off the bench. I'm a big fan of Graham and Dale but they will get overrun and outmuscled by a lot of sides in this league.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, slangs said:

Not if they r good enuf they won't football ability is key,the trouble is u need quality round about u. Team work is key to allow players to be at there best.the question now is do we have that

The problem is that for all the hard work that comes from dale and graham, I wouldn't call them good footballers, they are hard working players who give 100% but have yet to see either dictate a game, fusco is just a bigger version of the two of them, I'd always play fusco before the both of them for his size alone, I prefere Graham out wide where he doesn't get over run and can use his pace,

time and time again we see him deployed as a sitting midfielder (one who can't tackle) it's a shame on him, the knock on effect of having small players in this area is they can't use there body to out muscle other players so the need to go to ground, this costs us freekicks, constant opportunities to put balls into our box,(same as last year) set pieces, how many goal do we lose from set pieces? This is because of the quantity of freekicks or corners we give away, we really should of went with a tight squad of 11-12 really good part time players made up of young players instead off 22 players

buzz 

pabz mcgeever hill (kept)/chrighton  dyer

Fusco

flanagin (Alloa) conroy (airdrie) graham

Trouten (kept)

Jackson

dale

lynas

love

P O'Neil

olly shaw (loan)

Fill other 2/3 squad players with young players, thats 15 good players gives you a chance every game a few players can play a few positions, instead we have 5 right backs what I'm saying for the budget we could have got so much more

Dodds has signed far to many players that make us no better or worse, Lynas ,O'Neil spark, pabz, e smith, Elliot ford and fusco can all play right back I mean what a waste of a budget,  

i could go on all day about some of Dodds crazy decisions, I mean who looks at Issac and thinks "btw he's a player?" We'd have been better keeping caldwell 

since when is pabz a cb, he was a very good right back, fun to watch liked his mazes good attacking down the right, we're losing that

rant over

Just when I thought you had made a couple of good points you destroy any credibility by adding "better to have kept Caldwell"!

give Isaac a chance - if a couple of his 20 yard attempts had gone in at the Glebe last week you would be singing his praises.

Whilst it's true we have to sort out the set pieces problem what has happened to the "it's going to be tough but let's enjoy the season"? Get behind them (including Isaac) and we probably will get a positive reaction. Watt is sorely missed just now.

Nobody has dared say it but one of the players not up to his own high standard this season is Jacko - he is not getting a lot of service but his touch has gone off. Once he gets back to normal maybe the partnership with Isaac will bear fruit.

9 hours ago, slangs said:

Not if they r good enuf they won't football ability is key,the trouble is u need quality round about u. Team work is key to allow players to be at there best.the question now is do we have that

Given that the bulk of the squad is the same as showed teamwork in abundance at the end of last season I would say yes we probably do. 

5 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

The problem is that for all the hard work that comes from dale and graham, I wouldn't call them good footballers, they are hard working players who give 100% but have yet to see either dictate a game, fusco is just a bigger version of the two of them, I'd always play fusco before the both of them for his size alone, I prefere Graham out wide where he doesn't get over run and can use his pace,

time and time again we see him deployed as a sitting midfielder (one who can't tackle) it's a shame on him, the knock on effect of having small players in this area is they can't use there body to out muscle other players so the need to go to ground, this costs us freekicks, constant opportunities to put balls into our box,(same as last year) set pieces, how many goal do we lose from set pieces? This is because of the quantity of freekicks or corners we give away, we really should of went with a tight squad of 11-12 really good part time players made up of young players instead off 22 players

buzz 

pabz mcgeever hill (kept)/chrighton  dyer

Fusco

flanagin (Alloa) conroy (airdrie) graham

Trouten (kept)

Jackson

dale

lynas

love

P O'Neil

olly shaw (loan)

Fill other 2/3 squad players with young players, thats 15 good players gives you a chance every game a few players can play a few positions, instead we have 5 right backs what I'm saying for the budget we could have got so much more

Dodds has signed far to many players that make us no better or worse, Lynas ,O'Neil spark, pabz, e smith, Elliot ford and fusco can all play right back I mean what a waste of a budget,  

i could go on all day about some of Dodds crazy decisions, I mean who looks at Issac and thinks "btw he's a player?" We'd have been better keeping caldwell 

since when is pabz a cb, he was a very good right back, fun to watch liked his mazes good attacking down the right, we're losing that

rant over

Point 1   Tackling and harrassing are Finn Graham's strong points.  I can't see where you are coming from on that point. 

Point 2   Corners are our weak point and have been for a long time. It doesn't matter how many we concede we are guaranteed to lose a goal to at least one per game.  Buzz needs to organise this along with McGeever or the main central defender  to make sure no one loses concentration and everyone is marked . Defenders need to be goal side of their opponents and tight to them .  Zone marking is no use . We need to bully the opposition . 

Point 3  Trouten...........Too injury prone especiallially with him having to drive to Ayrshire after games and training . It's bad enough driving fully fit but with groin strains it is no wonder his problems escallated.   He also showed on Saturday when the real ball is kicked and teams are really up for it his true potential for being anonymous. 

I don't know what you are rambling about with the rest but your point about Pabs is a bit off the mark. He was a natural Centre back all the way through his early career.  He was only tried as a full back when he moved to Brechin and it was found he was a natural there too.  On speaking to his parents at games it transpires that he feels most comfortable at centre back. 

As for comparing Isaac with Caldwell ....:lol:    .......All we can say there is we are all glad you don't pick the team !  

Dods has a singular D by the way. ;)

8 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Given that the bulk of the squad is the same as showed teamwork in abundance at the end of last season I would say yes we probably do. 

Point 1   Tackling and harrassing are Finn Graham's strong points.  I can't see where you are coming from on that point. 

Point 2   Corners are our weak point and have been for a long time. It doesn't matter how many we concede we are guaranteed to lose a goal to at least one per game.  Buzz needs to organise this along with McGeever or the main central defender  to make sure no one loses concentration and everyone is marked . Defenders need to be goal side of their opponents and tight to them .  Zone marking is no use . We need to bully the opposition . 

Point 3  Trouten...........Too injury prone especiallially with him having to drive to Ayrshire after games and training . It's bad enough driving fully fit but with groin strains it is no wonder his problems escallated.   He also showed on Saturday when the real ball is kicked and teams are really up for it his true potential for being anonymous. 

I don't know what you are rambling about with the rest but your point about Pabs is a bit off the mark. He was a natural Centre back all the way through his early career.  He was only tried as a full back when he moved to Brechin and it was found he was a natural there too.  On speaking to his parents at games it transpires that he feels most comfortable at centre back. 

As for comparing Isaac with Caldwell ....:lol:    .......All we can say there is we are all glad you don't pick the team !  

Dods has a singular D by the way. ;)

1.Graham runs about a lot and I agree he harasses players but he hardly wins a tackle, I can't recall in the last year him winning one he's much more productive for the team out wide (just my opinion)

2.i agree regarding set pieces we are vunrable, but how may freekicks/corners do we give away? If your playing against a team that is bigger than you (which most are) we really need to limit the number of opertunitys we allow the ball to come into the box

3. give him a wage decrease and a big appreanace bonus then, we wouldn't have went up if he hadn't came on against Alloa, was by miles our best player on that day, worth a contract on its own

4. pabs isn't a Center back, he's not aggressive enough or good enough in the air, I really like pabz as a player he's a cracking right back, an average cb in my eyes 

the caldwell Issac thing is a joke, but Issac needs to give us more you can't deny he has been extreamly poor

i will support the team 100% but I feel we really could have attracted  a better caliber and mix of players

8 hours ago, OldRed said:

Just when I thought you had made a couple of good points you destroy any credibility by adding "better to have kept Caldwell"!

give Isaac a chance - if a couple of his 20 yard attempts had gone in at the Glebe last week you would be singing his praises.

Whilst it's true we have to sort out the set pieces problem what has happened to the "it's going to be tough but let's enjoy the season"? Get behind them (including Isaac) and we probably will get a positive reaction. Watt is sorely missed just now.

Nobody has dared say it but one of the players not up to his own high standard this season is Jacko - he is not getting a lot of service but his touch has gone off. Once he gets back to normal maybe the partnership with Isaac will bear fruit.

Agreed we miss watt, probably the best on the ball we have, Jacko is isolated and he's playing against better defenders, he's a quality player but it's gona be a tough season for him up top on his own or in the whole

Suprised you guys haven't had a look at Farid now he's had a season fully fit he's a decent enough target man and could provide the goals to make you at least a threat.

Suprised you guys haven't had a look at Farid now he's had a season fully fit he's a decent enough target man and could provide the goals to make you at least a threat.

El Alagui? Doubt we could afford his wages.

7 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Was on trial with Edinburgh City don't think he's too fussy.

I think Dods has reached his limit for signings . We ve overdosed on defenders and can t afford anymore signings squad o 21 we ve 8 or 9 defenders n 3 keepers i think ..Personally i think we re desperate for another option up front but others think we re fine .

3 hours ago, slangs said:

Not a fucking cheap on here wat the fucks happening?? The team were good 2day 2-0 down and come back with 2 well made/taken goals. We jump to criticise but not to praise.cmon lads

That's Brechiners for you. ;)

Aye that was some performance in the second half. A bit of last season's  belief and fight shining through . We made Livi look quite ordinary when we got in their faces.  They didn't like it and we were possibly a bit unlucky not to have taken all 3 points .  We need to start showing that passion every week now if we are to make anything of the season as I'm sure there will be a few teams who will take us for granted and just think they need to turn up to get the points.  

Have to stop giving away cheap goals though.  That was another two very avoidable ones yesterday. Good to see Darren urging the team to get forward at every opportunity to take the pressure off the defence. Midfielders and forwards held on to the ball a bit better in the second half and looked a lot more composed.  Once we started doing this you could see the defence growing in confidence.  The signs are there that the team are starting to work for each other and all the guys who ventured back to the lounge after the game really appreciated the effort put in .  

On to Tannadice next week with all guns blazing.   Can't wait. :thumsup2

Not a fucking cheap on here wat the fucks happening?? The team were good 2day 2-0 down and come back with 2 well made/taken goals. We jump to criticise but not to praise.cmon lads

There's posts on the Brechin v Livi match thread.

5 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Start with Isaac tonight ??? See if he can get a goal or two ...Long night for most of our squad  . Better giving our squad playerz a game and hopefully grab a win against a very handy Buckie team ..

I'd like to keep same team to try and get abit of momentum going, but I think mcgeever ,Issac will get a start, not fussed either way . hill made team of the week if anyones intrested https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-team-of-the-week-49-4/ 

Archived