The Rozelle Ayr Tournament

Through ball

Was at the tournament over the weekend, and was impressed with the football on display from the 7's through to the 11's, great to see boys of all ages some with great ability and numerous scouts all there watching also, question is what happens to all these good boys that show promise do they go pro youth and get there natural skill coached out of them?.as I know a few boys that went pro youth and they don't seem to be the same players they were, and tbh I don't think they enjoy it much either, as I said really enjoyed the tournament, but after the development age for 11 a side half of the player's that go pro youth wont get the chance to play for a trophy as pro youth us non competitive.

I agree there is lots of skill and ability in Youth football at present.  To be fair, many of the pro-youth teams encourage use of skill, but there is definitely a bit of a win at all costs mentality with some of the pro-youth setups (get the big boys signed, fly into challenges, be very physical etc etc).  The boys I've seen come back from Pro-Youth into boys club have all had that physical element added to their game (and not necessarily in a good way!) but don't really seem to have improved any more than the boys who stayed with their clubs.  If anything it's the other way round - many of the pro-youth boys have been caught up/overtaken by the boys in boys club football.  Something not right about that.

I disagree I spent six seasons or so coaching at pro youth both initiative and elite levels and last season took an u19 boys club team connected to the juniors. I have seen both sides of youth football if you like? I'd say you certainly notice the difference between boys that have spent a few seasons or so at pro youth and those who have grown up through boys club football and the differences in most cases are huge! It's the decision making my stay which is the main difference, a pro youth player is coached in a way to make the right decisions in situations whether to pass or dribble not to play forward just because the goal is that way and also game awareness? Where should they be each time their teammates have the ball? Yes the physical element is there but that's down to most pro youth set ups having sports science departments? Not saying that all pro youth games I've been involved in is all pretty tiki taka style football it most certainly isn't but you get an extra bit of game knowledge from decent pro youth players who go into boys club football. I also watched a few games on the Sunday and monday(finals) of the rozelle tournament and I didn't see much that impressed me? In fact the players that did impress me where ex pro youth players in the u17 final, although I did look at the 7asides and the youngsters there showed some great enthusiasm for football and I only hope that's not knocked out them by coaches that aim for league and cup trophies over player development?

Archived