Linlithgow Rose 2017-18

Auld Heid

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if we win our last two against Nitten and Forfar then we lose the league by 1 point.  That 5-5 against Kennoway was key - if we'd been awarded and scored with the last-minute stonewall penalty claim well, who knows?  I know there lots of what-ifs over the course of a season but, in the end, we weren't far away and that's almost worse than being well-beaten. 

As for the "can't blame it on one player", tell Liverpool fans that.

So, if we win our last two against Nitten and Forfar then we lose the league by 1 point.  That 5-5 against Kennoway was key - if we'd been awarded and scored with the last-minute stonewall penalty claim well, who knows?  I know there lots of what-ifs over the course of a season but, in the end, we weren't far away and that's almost worse than being well-beaten. 
I'll bet there were plenty of "you should have seen the one that got away" moments for Bonnyrigg across the season too. Sauchie's point against them last week was daylight robbery, so that's 2 points for starters.

As for blaming one player, I'm sure every player made at least one error that lost, or could have won, another point or two. In fact you could go all the way back to the first game of the season and blame TC for getting sent off when the comeback was on.

I thought this season's Bonnyrigg were a very good side, their shape and discipline at Prestonfield was as good as I've seen from a Junior team. To have finished so close to them after all the changes last summer is really pleasing. If we could dump them tomorrow and go on to win the Fife and Lothian, that would be a pretty smart end to a successful season.

27 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

You can blame a Cup game on one player but not a whole league campaign. Get over singling out players. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I thought this season's Bonnyrigg were a very good side, their shape and discipline at Prestonfield was as good as I've seen from a Junior team. To have finished so close to them after all the changes last summer is really pleasing. If we could dump them tomorrow and go on to win the Fife and Lothian, that would be a pretty smart end to a successful season.

The goal difference always tells a story so, in all honesty, they deserved to win the league however close we got.

It would be a great end to the season so here's hoping.

How are we feeling about tonight? I saw Bonnyrigg at Sauchie last week and they looked a bit jaded, but they still dug deep when required and got the job done. By the sounds of things, they did the same on Saturday. With respect to both of Bonnyrigg's most recent opponents, Linlithgow Rose are a tougher challenge, and I think Bonnyrigg will have to find some proper form to win this one. I have a wee feeling Linlithgow will be more motivated for this one, so I'm going for a narrow away win. 

Can anyone on the committee confirm whether we have applied or will apply to join the EOS league prior to the deadline, otherwise the meeting on 4 June will be meaningless?  

A decision is required one way or the other but if we are too late it will affect where we start off in the new system.  If we vote to remain in the juniors we can simply start preparing for the first games of the season against Carnoustie, Broughty,  Lochee and Bankfoot Athletic.  Our local derby will be Fauldhouse.

2 minutes ago, Dreghorn said:

Can anyone on the committee confirm whether we have applied or will apply to join the EOS league prior to the deadline, otherwise the meeting on 4 June will be meaningless?  

A decision is required one way or the other but if we are too late it will affect where we start off in the new system.  If we vote to remain in the juniors we can simply start preparing for the first games of the season against Carnoustie, Broughty,  Lochee and Bankfoot Athletic.  Our local derby will be Fauldhouse.

I dont think you need a meeting to apply.the application may well be in.if the move is voted against at the meeting on the 4th is to remain.then the application would then be withdrawn.thats the way I see it anyway.doubt you will get an answer on here from the committee.rightly so.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

How are we feeling about tonight? I saw Bonnyrigg at Sauchie last week and they looked a bit jaded, but they still dug deep when required and got the job done. By the sounds of things, they did the same on Saturday. With respect to both of Bonnyrigg's most recent opponents, Linlithgow Rose are a tougher challenge, and I think Bonnyrigg will have to find some proper form to win this one. I have a wee feeling Linlithgow will be more motivated for this one, so I'm going for a narrow away win. 

A good summary of tonights game and remembering where the team has come from at the beginning of the season to finish runners up in the Super League then the momentum is with you and the incentive to win a piece of silverware after that start gives your team an added incentive.. I don't swallow the Bonnyrigg line that you have been given preferential treatment with no mid-week games against their programme over the last few weeks.....it was the pitch against Penicuik when we were soundly beaten...Lets hope we have a referee who isn't full of himself tonight......

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

;)Posts like that are always likely to come back and haunt you. 

Not at all, and the fact Bonnyrigg were clearly well on it from the start shows they may well have  seen it exactly the same way.

Once again this season, I was really impressed with Bonnyrigg. I can't think of any East non-league club I've ever seen that is as good as them without the ball. They keep the distance between defence and midfield so tight there's no space to play in between, and though they're narrow they manage to cover the wings well too. Tonight, and in the league game at Prestonfield, they weathered the spell in which Linlithgow were on top without too much difficulty, and when they get the ball they move it forward with pace and exploit gaps very quickly. It's really unusual at this level for a team that is in no way defensive to be so good without the ball. 

I think they're better than the Kelty team that won the league last season,  they're the best ER team since Linlithgow Rose in 2013, and I wish them all the best next season.

While I'm here, I took this pic on Saturday - that looks to me like a raised viewing platform for wheelchair users, would that be correct? Right in front of the newly-installed disabled loo, and by the new disabled ramps and concrete paths in from the gate? Not bad for a bunch of unambitious dinosaurs, etc, etc.5b0c8b8ae750e_IMG_sizedcopy.thumb.jpg.8420c39b1e9f1e6c46b13bb3075c3189.jpg

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Right in front of the newly-installed disabled loo

Are you talking about the guy by the brick box with concrete half poured in. :lol:

Archived