Linlithgow Rose 2017-18

Auld Heid

Moving is more advantagous to some than others.

Unfortunately there is no money in the juniors - winning the Scottish pays the same now as when we won it in 2002.

Clubs have had a taste of what a run in the big Scottish brings. However participation isn't a guarantee every season.

Other clubs aren't stupid and can see the benefits of moving over staying.

Dual membership currently guarantees us the best of both worlds.

The problem we face is resting on our laurels as other clubs move.

It won't take many more and the EoS may need to consider 2 leagues - then it's to late.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, lithgierose said:

Not necessarily,well not the older ones anyway going by the feedback I get.imo the rose will leave it too long and end up in a lower tier if a full pyramid were to happen.then the fan base would reduce rapidly as the team weakened.because the better players would want to play in as high a league as possible and not tier 7 or even tier 8 depending how it would pan out.(just my opinion) be better going sooner rather than later.

Things can change quickly. I know I was dead set against a move to the seniors only a couple of years ago but am now very much with the viewpoint above. There is no way we can stay junior if Boness jump. The risk of them leaving us behind would be too great.   For the record, I am not a member, so no vote.

The members haven't discussed it. They haven't voted on it. We will all have opinions - mine are known to anyone I talk to. But the members decide as a collective and Linlithgow Rose are going nowhere unless or until they make that decision. 

2 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

The Rose will be one of the last to jump. Davie Roy is not keen and if he says no a lot of the members will vote with him.

In thinking about it. Potentially the Rose could be like Whitburn when the Super League formed and didn't want go to into it then realised their mistake and struggled to get their in the end.

19 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

In thinking about it. Potentially the Rose could be like Whitburn when the Super League formed and didn't want go to into it then realised their mistake and struggled to get their in the end.

Whitburn have challenged for nothing since that awful decision.

2 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

The Rose will be one of the last to jump. Davie Roy is not keen and if he says no a lot of the members will vote with him.

Even DR may think differently should our main rivals move on.

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah I know I'm just making the point should learn from these mistakes. I believe though only reason to go into EOSFL is to get into Lowland League and you'd need a licence for that which your club has.

4 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Yeah I know I'm just making the point should learn from these mistakes. I believe though only reason to go into EOSFL is to get into Lowland League and you'd need a licence for that which your club has.

Id say.use it or lose it.

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

Apart from the East of Scotland cup, St Michaels cup and Supplementary cup in 2003-04 and Superleague in 2007-08. Not great by the standards previously set by Whitburn. In my opinion, their decline wasn't because of that decision, it was because of other poor decisions in the same period. It's all water under the bridge now though.

13 minutes ago, shuggie123 said:

Apart from the East of Scotland cup, St Michaels cup and Supplementary cup in 2003-04 and Superleague in 2007-08. Not great by the standards previously set by Whitburn. In my opinion, their decline wasn't because of that decision, it was because of other poor decisions in the same period. It's all water under the bridge now though.

Not sure if Whitburn have even been in the Super League since it was formed let alone win it. Lochee won the league in 2007-08.

St Michael's cup must be going back a while as well... 

56 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Not sure if Whitburn have even been in the Super League since it was formed let alone win it. Lochee won the league in 2007-08.

Whitburn were runners-up in the year Lochee won it.

2 hours ago, Che Dail said:

they came up 2005-2006 i think because we went up 2004-2005 and went straight back down before bouncing back again.

3 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

they came up 2005-2006 i think because we went up 2004-2005 and went straight back down before bouncing back again.

I know Alan, just studied their (excellent) website with detailed year by year data and it turns out they were in the SL a few years before dropping down. 

On 19/01/2018 at 20:21, Burnie_man said:

Use them 24/7, all the clubs teams can train and play on them year round (when it doesn't snow......), a great, true surface to play football on, and of course it generally beats most weather thrown at it apart from heavy frost and snow.   Neither is it a "completely different ball game", no more so than going from a good grass pitch one week to a bumpy mud heap the next, almost everyone trains on them these days anyway.

Bonnyrigg game was on at the weekend but half an hour along the road Blackburn’s wasn’t so no advantage there, clearly you can’t “use them 24/7” . Neither is it “a great, true surface to play football on” it’s been proven time and time again with the amount of injuries sustained. So apart from being used for training a couple of weeks a year when grass areas are boggy they are just a source of income.

Bonnyrigg game was on at the weekend but half an hour along the road Blackburn’s wasn’t so no advantage there, clearly you can’t “use them 24/7” . Neither is it “a great, true surface to play football on” it’s been proven time and time again with the amount of injuries sustained. So apart from being used for training a couple of weeks a year when grass areas are boggy they are just a source of income.

30 mins from Blackburn to Bonnyrigg??? What you driving?

21 hours ago, Che Dail said:

The original comment was about Whitburn "challenging", not "winning". Is runner-up not challenging?

St Michael's cup is going as far back as season 2003-04 as I stated in the thread you are replying to.

Anyway, Whitburn are a shadow of the club they were, and this is a Linlithgow thread. Sorry for digressing.

The original comment was about Whitburn "challenging", not "winning". Is runner-up not challenging?
St Michael's cup is going as far back as season 2003-04 as I stated in the thread you are replying to.
Anyway, Whitburn are a shadow of the club they were, and this is a Linlithgow thread. Sorry for digressing.

Unfortunately the comparison is probably very relevant. I know several Whitburn people who feel the original decision played a part in the overall demise of a great junior team.

The relevance to now is the possibility that Linlithgow could suffer from dithering in their decision whilst others jump to EoS.

I'm personally have voiced reservations on moving. I listened to the arguments and gradually have come to the opinion moving is the most realistic option.

Archived