Flying with a baby

wellboy1991

As folk have said, babies are going to be a bit easier but from 9 months (maybe a bit touch younger) you're going to need a lot of luck.

Sjc is right in the sense that it does depend on circumstances - but I'd say that folk should only travel with small children if it's really necessary.

You get arseholes of all ages on flights. But you can never really guarantee control of a small child. It's just not cricket to inflict that on other people unless it can't be avoided. That's what makes a lot of traveling parents arseholes - the selfishness of it. People who think they can carry on their exact same lifestyle when they've got weans.

Flew to Cyprus a few weeks ago with the grandbairns,  a 5 month old, 2 three year olds and a 6 year old who is disabled, piece of piss. Choose your flight times to suit, I-pads etc and they're nae bother

Every child reacts differently to being on a plane.  We took our daughter to America when she was 8 months and Australia when she was about 14 months and she was absolutely fine.  She's also been on flights to Spain and dealt with them fine.

Our son has been to Spain when he was about 8 months and America just this month when he was 17 months and he's an absolute nightmare on the plane.  One of these kids you dread being sat near.  It's so bad that i've told my wife I don't want to go to Australia later this year with him as 28 hours on a plane with him isn't fair on him or anyone else.

28 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Our son has been to Spain when he was about 8 months and America just this month when he was 17 months and he's an absolute nightmare on the plane.  One of these kids you dread being sat near.  It's so bad that i've told my wife I don't want to go to Australia later this year with him as 28 hours on a plane with him isn't fair on him or anyone else.

Airline and dates and times please?? Just in case im heading that way you understand of course

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Airline and dates and times please?? Just in case im heading that way you understand of course

^^^

Lurking at check in with a box of Maltesers. 

40 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Every child reacts differently to being on a plane.  We took our daughter to America when she was 8 months and Australia when she was about 14 months and she was absolutely fine.  She's also been on flights to Spain and dealt with them fine.

Google says this is the answer.

Phenergan-liquid.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2305529/Why-I-drug-children-airplanes-We-know-hell-bawling-toddlers-flights-But-mums-controversial-solution-.html

5 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

^^^

Lurking at check in with a box of Maltesers. 

Interestingly enough my brother and his wife give there young ones a wee bag of maltesers on take off and landing and he reckons it keeps them quiet

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You could just get on the next flight with your daughter. 

I've suggested to my wife that she goes to Oz to see her sister and takes our daughter and I'll stay at home with the wee man (he'll be going to nursery and I'll take a few well earned days off)

21 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've suggested to my wife that she goes to Oz to see her sister and takes our daughter and I'll stay at home with the wee man (he'll be going to nursery and I'll take a few well earned days off)

Look, just admit it's because of the big scary spiders, we know anyway.

Bit late reply to this one but we went to visit family in Tampa area in October last year when the wee man was 11 months. Was fine - on a tip from someone else we didnt book seats together, instead booked a window seat and an aisle seat leaving a free one in the middle. Theory being that if someone is rerserving a seat / airline allocating one, then the middle of a 3 is less likely to go if flight isnt full. Worked a treat as on both the Glasgow - Philadelphia and Miami - Heathrow ones we had the row to ourselves and a seat for the wee man. Was a piece of piss really, luckily he crashed out on takeoff after a bottle, and once he woke it was just a case of having plenty toys and books handy or taking turns walking up and down with him.

Edit to add - the only problem we had was entirely our own fault, when we landed in Philly we went straight through to the baggage reclaim, assuming that his buggy would appear on the carousel, whereas we should have waited at the plane door. Took bloody ages waiting on them to get it, as we had come to far to go back ourselves.

Re: the whole crying baby on a plane thing - that was my big worry but luckily for us it wasnt an issue. Its not something that bothers me personally though if im travelling - im usually either bevvying and in a good mood (scotland trip, stag do etc) or watching a film / listening to music on headphones if its longer haul

Please don't when I'm flying!. I seem to attract the noisiest weans.

I remember the first flight with my sprog. Cried constantly for three hours. Her, not me...but I was close to tears at the end of it. As a special bonus the cases came off a different flight's carousel and we were dalayed a further 30 minutes. My ex-wife managed to blame it all on me.

Hashtag nightmare memories.

Please don't when I'm flying!. I seem to attract the noisiest weans.

I remember the first flight with my sprog. Cried constantly for three hours. Her, not me...but I was close to tears at the end of it. As a special bonus the cases came off a different flight's carousel and we were dalayed a further 30 minutes. My ex-wife managed to blame it all on me.

Hashtag nightmare memories.

So you don't want other parents to travel with weans but you did - and she screamed for 3 hours?

On 2017-5-30 at 01:54, fanny paddery said:

Have heard they are fine until 6/9 months, as all they want to do until that age is eat and sleep.

I never got past that stage tbh

Archived