Flying with a baby

wellboy1991

Just looking for a bit of advice.

The Mrs is due our first kid in July. I'm also 40 in October this year so really fancied a holiday away later on the year.

What would folk suggest is a good age to take a baby on a flight? I don't want to be one of those people with a screaming kid that annoys everyone on a plane but I seriously need a break away this year.

How far would you suggest travelling and can anyone recommend somewhere about October/November that would be warm and good for a kid?

Cheers for your helps.

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

The Mrs is due our first kid in July. I'm also 40 in October this year so really fancied a holiday away later on the year.

What would folk suggest is a good age to take a baby on a flight?

40 is probably a good age.

My dad was 37 when he first took a baby on a flight and said it was fine.

Parent who take young babies on long haul flights are arseholes.

Nothing quite as infuriating as a 10 hour flight with a screaming kid on board.

I would say 4 or 5 is a good age, possibly older.

8 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Parent who take young babies on long haul flights are arseholes.

Nothing quite as infuriating as a 10 hour flight with a screaming kid on board.

I would say 4 or 5 is a good age, possibly older.

So I shouldn't take my daughter to see her Grandparents for 4 or 5 years for fear or her upsetting you by occasionally crying?

I'd say you're far more likely to find a bored and irritable 4 or 5 year old more bothersome on a 10 hour flight.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

So I shouldn't take my daughter to see her Grandparents for 4 or 5 years for fear or her upsetting you by occasionally crying?

yes, i'm saying exactly that.

12 minutes ago, Romeo said:

yes, i'm saying exactly that.

I'd have thought a fellow parent would understand that nobody really wants to subject fellow passengers to their baby crying or in fact their child the trauma of a long haul flight but sometimes needs must. You calling them arseholes will certainly help the situation though.  

I notice you completely ignored my second point though.

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

I'd have thought a fellow parent would understand that nobody really wants to subject fellow passengers to their baby crying or in fact their child the trauma of a long haul flight but sometimes needs must. You calling them arseholes will certainly help the situation though.  

I notice you completely ignored my second point though.

As a parent I would never have taken a very young baby on a flight.

I disagree with your second point.

Just now, Romeo said:

As a parent I would never have taken a very young baby on a flight.

I disagree with your second point.

But everyone that does is an arsehole? Even though you know f**k all about their personal circumstances for taking such a flight?

Second  point : your perogative to disagree but I've encountered far more troublesome 4-6 year olds on flights that babies on my travels.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

^^^ Facebook for this shite.

You're the one bitching about other passengers babies crying and calling them arseholes in a Facebook style status rant.

Carry on though.

You're the one bitching about other passengers babies crying and calling them arseholes in a Facebook style status rant.
Carry on though.

Calm down.

We disagree on something, it's not the end of the world.

Would rather be on a plane full of crying babies and toddlers than have to sit next to an insufferable tit like you.

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Calm down.

We disagree on something, it's not the end of the world.

Would rather be on a plane full of crying babies and toddlers than have to sit next to an insufferable tit like you.

:lol: I'm definitely the one that needs to calm down!

Carry on branding people arseholes due to your lack of thought or consideration though.

6 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

What would folk suggest is a good age to take a baby on a flight? 

I've said this before but two parents travelling with a baby is a piece of piss.  My three all flew from from when they were only months old and we never had a problem.  Bit different when they get to the toddler stage and my son in particular was a right pain in the arse as he never wanted to sit still.

The furthest we went was either Greek island or southern Spain and both are fine in October - but then I'm not a sun lover.

I've said this before but two parents travelling with a baby is a piece of piss.  My three all flew from from when they were only months old and we never had a problem.  Bit different when they get to the toddler stage and my son in particular was a right pain in the arse as he never wanted to sit still.
The furthest we went was either Greek island or southern Spain and both are fine in October - but then I'm not a sun lover.

Cheers for a sensible response.

Flew from Oz to the UK and back a number of times with small kids and it was fine. Kids generally don't do the things which are actually annoying on planes: getting bevvied and arguing with the flight attendants, reclining their seats suddenly while the people behind are eating, jamming enormous amounts of hand luggage into the overhead lockers above my seat, barging their way to the front of the check-in lines or pishing on the toilet floor. 

Archived