Rangers European Tour 2017/18

Topscot

UEFA, FIFA, The European Club Association all confirmed that in regards to "sporting continuity" then Rangers are indeed the same club and allowed to retain their history. Even the Advertising Standards Authority ruled that Rangers were allowed to continue using the phrase "Scotland's most successful club" after some Celtic fans (with frankly too much time on their hands) made a complaint.
My reference to Rangers as a "new club" was a reference to UEFA's financial and licensing rules which prohibited Rangers from participating in Europe for three seasons (2012-13, 13-14, 14-15) as the "new club/company" had only been admitted as members of the SFA in 2012. Had Rangers qualified for Europe last season (15-16) then UEFA probably would have removed any coefficient points from them due to this breach of licensing rules, as they would have technically been considered a new club (specifically in regards to these rules) and therefore never participated in Europe in that specific form.Clubs also have to supply UEFA with the previous three years financial accounts, something which Rangers could not do as technically they were only formed in 2012. A similar scenario is likely to arise should Parma qualify for Europe within five years of the club being re-founded in 2015 - the "new club/company" are prohibited from qualifying for Europe for the first three seasons and in the fourth would likely have any coefficient points removed, not that they would have any anyway, other than Italy's base 20% ranking. The current Parma are considered to be a continuation of previous incarnations and therefore the same club.
Here's the rule from the SFA rulebook on UEFA Licensing...
"This membership must have been in place at the start of the licence season for a minimum period of three consecutive years. Any alteration to the club’s legal form or company structure (including, for example, changing its headquarters, name or club colours, or transferring stakeholdings between different clubs) during this period in order to facilitate its qualification on sporting merit and/or its receipt of a licence to the detriment of the integrity of a competition is deemed as an interruption of membership within the meaning of this provision"
For me to refer to Rangers as a "new club" is technically the correct terminology BUT only in regards to them participating in European competition - it was the technicality that I was referring to - as I had been referring to technical things such as seeding and coefficient points. National Governing Bodies are responsible for determining whether or not clubs which go bankrupt are actually new clubs - I don't believe the SFA have declared Rangers a new club and therefore in terms of "sporting continuity" retain their history and are regarded as the same club. In England if a club goes bankrupt and a phoenix club is started to replace them then, by FA rules, they are considered a new club not a continuation - so it differs based upon the rules in individual countries. 
UEFA's terminology of "new club/company" probably doesn't help the situation in Scotland as large numbers of football fans here don't seem to quite understand that what UEFA is actually referring to and what they think/hope UEFA is referring to are entirely different things.

This is all entirely speculative.  Derry City went through a similar process a few years ago, and in 2013/14 they were given a coefficient which included points earned by the "oldco" Derry.

Derry City were expelled from the League of Ireland in 2009 and liquidated. The new Derry City were founded in 2010, crucially this was before the introduction of Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations which were approved in 2010 and first implemented in 2011. Derry City cannot be used as a precedent as the current rules didn't apply to them in this instance, they couldn't be retrospectively punished and have coefficient points removed for breaching rules that came into existence after the fact. Numerous football clubs went bankrupt prior to 2010 as a means of restructuring the club/company and avoiding the payment of outstanding debts without any real punishment from UEFA.

Rangers died lads.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-6-5 at 07:53, Poet of the Macabre said:

Rangers vs Derry City anyone?

We might not be in Europe now, the sevco football monitor guys have contacted uefa about oor shenanigans in 2012. Hearts will probably get oor place now.

On 30/05/2017 at 05:51, Afrojim said:

Derry City were expelled from the League of Ireland in 2009 and liquidated. The new Derry City were founded in 2010, crucially this was before the introduction of Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations which were approved in 2010 and first implemented in 2011. Derry City cannot be used as a precedent as the current rules didn't apply to them in this instance, they couldn't be retrospectively punished and have coefficient points removed for breaching rules that came into existence after the fact. Numerous football clubs went bankrupt prior to 2010 as a means of restructuring the club/company and avoiding the payment of outstanding debts without any real punishment from UEFA.

Why wasn't The Rangers allowed to play in Europe season 2012/2013 when they had finished second in the SPL? Wouldn't have anything to do with being a new club n aw that would it?

If you are the dude from RM! What a cock socket you are. :lol:

52 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Why wasn't The Rangers allowed to play in Europe season 2012/2013 when they had finished second in the SPL? Wouldn't have anything to do with being a new club n aw that would it?

If you are the dude from RM! What a cock socket you are. :lol:

I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Have you quoted the right person? I've googled RM to see what it means but all that comes up is info on an educational supplies company listed on the London Stock Exchange?

8 minutes ago, Afrojim said:

I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Have you quoted the right person? I've googled RM to see what it means but all that comes up is info on an educational supplies company listed on the London Stock Exchange?

Fair point there my man. It's your avatar, used by some roaster user on RM aKa Ragers medjia or in English Rangers Media.

You should pop over there some time, the forum is a mad house. :lol:

On 2017-6-11 at 01:45, hellbhoy said:

Fair point there my man. It's your avatar, used by some roaster user on RM aKa Ragers medjia or in English Rangers Media.

You should pop over there some time, the forum is a mad house. :lol:

That was so stupid. 

10 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Am reliably informed that if Rangers draw Cork City the game will be played in Thomond Park, Limerick. I was in Limerick last year for the LOI League cup Final and Thomond Park looks a cracking stadium.

Poor show, buddy:

Said a young Linfield fan speaking Erse
Whose posts were often quite terse
"If you can't beat Cork City
Your team is quite shitty"
You deserve to be out on your arse.

2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I has a feeling you will draw cork city or shamrock rovers which will go down really well I'm sure

Or a Welsh team, nice n easy for our first ever euro game.

14 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Poor show, buddy:

Said a young Linfield fan speaking Erse
Whose posts were often quite terse
"If you can't beat Cork City
Your team is quite shitty"
You deserve to be out on your arse.

This wouldn't be the same Cork City that's 18 points clear at the top, unbeaten, with a goal difference of 42, would it?

57 minutes ago, dipsy said:

This wouldn't be the same Cork City that's 18 points clear at the top, unbeaten, with a goal difference of 42, would it?

I don't know, there have been numerous Cork Citys over the years. Not to mention Cork Celtics, Cork Hibs's, Corks, Cork Uniteds, Cork Aberts etc

On 17/06/2017 at 14:44, Jacksgranda said:

I don't know, there have been numerous Cork Citys over the years. Not to mention Cork Celtics, Cork Hibs's, Corks, Cork Uniteds, Cork Aberts etc

No, the current club is the first Cork City (1984), but you are right about the rest. And guess what - City don't want to lay claim to a past and a history which is not theirs, unlike someone we know quite well.

11 hours ago, dipsy said:

No, the current club is the first Cork City (1984), but you are right about the rest. And guess what - City don't want to lay claim to a past and a history which is not theirs, unlike someone we know quite well.

The current club are not the first to use the name Cork City. During the 1920s teams referred to as Cork City competed in both the Munster Senior League and the Munster Senior Cup. A team named Cork City finished as Munster Senior Cup runners up in 1924–25.[6][7] Another Cork City F.C. also played in the League of Ireland between 1938 and 1940.

Archived