Rangers European Tour 2017/18

Topscot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From BBC Football -

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha apologised to the club's fans for his side's Europa League embarrassment by Luxembourg's Progres Niederkorn.

The Ibrox side lost 2-1 on aggregate to crash out in the first qualifier.

Their part-time opponents, who are ranked 440th by Uefa, secured their first win in European competition.

They now have the same games won record in Europe as RIFC 2012

1 minute ago, laughing gravie said:

From BBC Football -

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha apologised to the club's fans for his side's Europa League embarrassment by Luxembourg's Progres Niederkorn.

The Ibrox side lost 2-1 on aggregate to crash out in the first qualifier.

Their part-time opponents, who are ranked 440th by Uefa, secured their first win in European competition.

They now have the same games won record in Europe as RIFC 2012

To be fair to RIFC 2012, their goal difference of -1 is far superior to that of Niederkorn as they've been getting absolutely rode up and down Europe over the last 40 years whilst waiting to draw an opponent they could ride into oblivion themselves. It's taken a while but eventually The Rangers turned up. 

Their coefficient was already embarrassingly low, this result will have kicked it down a lot further. If they manage to scrape top 4 this season, they could well be unseeded next summer, meaning a much tougher first round Europa tie. Rangers would kill for Aberdeen or St Johnstone's coefficient.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 12.55.18.png

See, if only the Angus clubs were merged, this never would have happened.  

Which on its own is a reason to get at least three more Angus teams in the senior leagues. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

As I half expected having seen the highlights, it seems that this was played at another club's ground.

This is the actual home of FCPN, the Stade Jos Haupert:

IMG_4901.JPG

The Banter Years in Hedges: from Brechin to Progrès.

11 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Their coefficient was already embarrassingly low, this result will have kicked it down a lot further. If they manage to scrape top 4 this season, they could well be unseeded next summer, meaning a much tougher first round Europa tie. Rangers would kill for Aberdeen or St Johnstone's coefficient.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 12.55.18.png

Are the above football teams?

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

I dont know whats more embarrassing, the pitch invasion at Firhill when european football was guaranteed, or that collapse to a mickey mouse pub team at the very first hurdle. Absolutely de-lish emoji38.png

If I  had known what that result was leading to I'd have been on the pitch with them.

I would expect a non-OF Scottish team to get beat by a team like this but not Rangers themselves.  I think Scottish teams should just play their games 'doon the park' and stick down a couple of jumpers.  I'll 'baggsy' going in goals first.

This is utter pish.

Progres are at the same level as the dross from Wales and NI that were punted into the challenge cup, and comfortably dealt with by half decent Championship sides, with the exception of TNS.

I'd be stunned if any side (other than the pea hearted losers from Govan) would lose to Progres in a two-legged tie.

This is utter pish.

Progres are at the same level as the dross from Wales and NI that were punted into the challenge cup, and comfortably dealt with by half decent Championship sides, with the exception of TNS.

And they finished third in our top flight.

Although this is primarily The New Clubs disgrace, it doesn't exactly reflect well on Scottish football either.

St Johnstone going out tomorrow - as they likely will - would really round off one of the most humiliating weeks for the Scottish league in Europe of all time.

Archived