Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BIG BEN said:

Surely not Robson. He's in the papers today saying Utd are the best passing team in the league on their day. He must be on the venoms again

We past three teams on our way from 1st to 4th and one on our way back up to 3rd.

At least you still have your sense of humour. Looking at these threads, only Livi fans give themselves a chance in the play off. With a quarter of the season left there's plenty time to find for for when it matters

2 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

I would go for Stuart McCall tbh, I think he is the highest level of candidate we could realistically hope for, had a good record of recruitment at Motherwell whilst generating transfer revenue. Most importantly doesn’t hold 7 hour press conferences

Hmmmmmmm....he also had a budget that was based on finishing Top 6 and cup runs.

Once his budget started to be reduced he started to struggle ie: Vigurs, Lawson, Dan Twardzik, Craig Reid, Josh Law etc. For every Higdon, Law and Ainsworth there was a Fraser Kerr, Zaine Francis Angol and Omar Daley which is fine, no manager has a 100% hit-rate.

Also he barely generated any transfer revenue, the following all left on free transfers/out of contract: Darren Randolph, Shaun Hutchinson, Chris Humphrey, Michael Higdon, John Sutton, Steve Jennings, Nicky Law and Tom Hateley who were all key first team players and in the case of Randolph has gone on to be an international level goalkeeper and Higdon who was literally Player of The Year.

He did get some cash in for Jamie Murphy, Henrik Ojamaa and Henri Anier though so that's something I guess but the Murphy deal amounted to something like £100k plus a sell on %.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Hmmmmmmm....he also had a budget that was based on finishing Top 6 and cup runs.

Once his budget started to be reduced he started to struggle ie: Vigurs, Lawson, Craig Reid, Josh Law etc. For every Higdon, Law and Ainsworth there was a Fraser Kerr, Zaine Francis Angol and Omar Daley which is fine, no manager has a 100% hit-rate.

Also he barely generated any transfer revenue, the following all left on free transfers/out of contract: Darren Randolph, Shaun Hutchinson, Chris Humphrey, Michael Higdon, John Sutton, Steve Jennings, Nicky Law and Tom Hateley who were all key first team players and in the case of Randolph has gone on to be an international level goalkeeper and Higdon who was literally Player of The Year.

He did get some cash in for Jamie Murphy, Henrik Ojamaa and Henri Anier though so that's something I guess but the Murphy deal amounted to something like £100k plus a sell on %.

We've been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and won a cup :P

Pernis, Kovacevic, Wilkie, Kenneth, Dixon, Conway, Gomis, Buaben, Swanson, Daly. That was most of our cup winning, 3rd place team that left for free. Goodie being the exception as we got good cash for him.

I now couldnt care less if we had a team that won the league and half of them left for free 10 minuites later. 

Its honestly torture watching this lot. McCall seriously couldnt do any worse than any of our managers since Houston. Plus he'd have the biggest budget in the league by a fucking mile still.

Would Houston give us a lift like when he came in last time?

He did a great job with Falkirk after leaving us, taking them to a Scottish Cup final while in the second tier and leading them to the playoffs in the following two seasons, finishing ahead of much bigger clubs in Hibs and ourselves.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Would Houston give us a lift like when he came in last time?

He did a great job with Falkirk after leaving us, taking them to a Scottish Cup final while in the second tier and leading them to the playoffs in the following two seasons, finishing ahead of much bigger clubs in Hibs and ourselves.

Has he not retired? Or is he not a scout now or something? If not, hed be in the running for me too.

10 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Has he not retired? Or is he not a scout now or something? If not, hed be in the running for me too.

He was a scout at Celtic after being catapulted from the Baldy Sex Dungeon #BSD, before moving to Falkirk.

He's had a few jobs for the boys gigs at the BBC since leaving Falkirk. Not heard anything about him retiring.

7 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

He was a scout at Celtic after being catapulted from the Baldy Sex Dungeon #BSD, before moving to Falkirk.

He's had a few jobs for the boys gigs at the BBC since leaving Falkirk. Not heard anything about him retiring.

In that case, sign him up, Mike!

10 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We've been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and won a cup :P

Pernis, Kovacevic, Wilkie, Kenneth, Dixon, Conway, Gomis, Buaben, Swanson, Daly. That was most of our cup winning, 3rd place team that left for free. Goodie being the exception as we got good cash for him.

I now couldnt care less if we had a team that won the league and half of them left for free 10 minuites later. 

Its honestly torture watching this lot. McCall seriously couldnt do any worse than any of our managers since Houston. Plus he'd have the biggest budget in the league by a fucking mile still.

That wasn't a dig about McCall btw, it was more just a bit of context re: that post I replied to. There are a lot of positive things you can say about McCall's time at Fir Park but his record of player trading isn't one of them.

At the risk of quoting myself like an absolute dick I posted over about McCall in the 'Next Dundee Permanent Manager" thread on the Premiership forum a while back the bulk of it will hold true for United IMO:

There are probably dozens of posts from me on here taking shots at Stuart McCall but if Dundee were to hand him a budget based on them finishing in the top 6 along with a board happy to eat 6 figure losses then I could see him doing a decent job at Dens.

On the flip side of things my argument has generally been that a lot of his success at Motherwell came from him inheriting a good core of players like Randolph, Hutchinson, Hammell, Jennings, Lasley, Murphy, Humphrey and being able to add players like Law, Higdon and Ojamaa (who may have been pish with you lot but was cracking for us in his first spell). Looking at the Dundee squad at the moment I'm not sure it's as solid a group and I'm not entirely sure he's the sort of manager you'd want in for a relegation scrap.

Either way he left Bradford just out the promotion play-off spots with a win % of 45.8%. Over 400 games in management and an average win % of 40.5% over his managerial career. McCann's on 43 games and 34.88% wins (take out the League Cup and Scottish Cup games and it drops below 30% - 10 wins in 34 games = 29.4%).

If you're looking for a manager who's kind of the anti-McCann ie: experienced without being ancient, has a decent track record and has the added bonus of knowing the league then I don't think McCall would be that unrealistic/unreasonable a shout.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

They should offer them on a ‘sale or return’ basis.  It has never occurred to me not to renew my ST but I want to know if Csaba will be in the dugout before committing myself next season.

Archived