Dundee United 2017/2018

I'd be very tempted to punt Csaba now. God knows what he was thinking with that formation. That it performed exactly as you would expect makes it even more inexplicable. Very strong similarities with the McKinnon's last game when he eschewed bringing on an actual striker for instead playing a centre half up front. Saturday saw at least two deep lying midfielders miss out to make space for a (shite) centre half to play in midfield. Crazy. He could and should have made a change after 20 minutes when it was obvious to everyone that it wasn't working. Instead he left it until 35 minutes had gone before getting McDonald stripped and then bottled making the change until half time.

I'd say that it's time to start building for next season and give the new guy a couple of months to get to know the players before he has to make decisions on who to keep in the summer. If we do somehow manage to squeak through the play-offs then fair enough but I wouldn't be holding off on pulling the trigger on Csaba in the vain hope that he will somehow manage to put this team back together again. If we're going to need a new manager for next season (which we will) then better to get him in now.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd be very tempted to punt Csaba now. God knows what he was thinking with that formation. That it performed exactly as you would expect makes it even more inexplicable. Very strong similarities with the McKinnon's last game when he eschewed bringing on an actual striker for instead playing a centre half up front. Saturday saw at least two deep lying midfielders miss out to make space for a (shite) centre half to play in midfield. Crazy. He could and should have made a change after 20 minutes when it was obvious to everyone that it wasn't working. Instead he left it until 35 minutes had gone before getting McDonald stripped and then bottled making the change until half time.

I'd say that it's time to start building for next season and give the new guy a couple of months to get to know the players before he has to make decisions on who to keep in the summer. If we do somehow manage to squeak through the play-offs then fair enough but I wouldn't be holding off on pulling the trigger on Csaba in the vain hope that he will somehow manage to put this team back together again. If we're going to need a new manager for next season (which we will) then better to get him in now.

I hope I’m not insulting you when I say you are usually one of the more ‘conservative’ Arabs on here.

The fact that you’re calling for Laszlo’s head says a lot tbh.

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

IMG_9649.jpg

Free electricity for Tannadice next season then. 

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Robbie Neilson's available. I'd start there.

I would agree. But would he take it?

I imagine after he's finished laughing he'd politely turn us down. 

Theres no out of contract manager out there other than Nielsen  (that i can think of right now) that I would actually want. 

Again.

I would probably attempt to go for some unrealistic candidate like Robbie Neilson, in case he loved the club so much during that three month spell he played for us that he would be desperate to come back.

I doubt Csaba will leave before the end of the season, unless he walks. But I don't know any United fan who thinks we'll go up.

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I would probably attempt to go for some unrealistic candidate like Robbie Neilson, in case he loved the club so much during that three month spell he played for us that he would be desperate to come back.

I doubt Csaba will leave before the end of the season, unless he walks. But I don't know any United fan who thinks we'll go up.

I have a horrible, horrible feeling he will be here next season. I hope its just me mentally torturing myself and he'll be gone at the end of the season.

I was speaking to a guy at work who said hed rather have Billy Davies. Before i knew it, i was nodding in agreement! Fucking hell.

If you ignore the League Cup games and the Irn-Bru matches then Saturday's attendance could point to a very challenging tipping point with regards to attendances. According to Mike Martin we sold roughly 4700 season tickets this year and they have budgeted for a 10% decrease next season. If things do not start to improve then our attendances could drop even further and then next year that 10% figure will look very, very generous as it might be closer to 20%.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 17.27.19.png

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Theres no out of contract manager out there other than Nielsen  (that i can think of right now) that I would actually want. 

Again.

We'd probably end up with McGhee.  Csaba? McGhee?  Alcohol?  

Alcohol.

Our last three managers have really lowered the expectation bar I’d set for what it takes to be a professional football manager. Seems like simply being able to pick a formation, buy a player suited to each position in that formation, and then playing them in their actual position would put you ahead of most managers in the country. 

Csaba has to go and go asap. Either give Ellis a go till the end of the season or appoint someone who can look at the squad till the end of the season and rebuild.
Been thinking about next year (as this season is gone) This is the outfield squad built to fight for top spot this season... Its bloated with shite.
Defenders
Murdoch
Robson
Edge
Durnan
Quinn 
Mason
Ballantyne
Toshney (remember him?)
Scobbie
Ralston

Defensive Midfielders.
Allardice
Slater
Gillespie
Flood
Briels (remember him?)
Fyvie

Attacking midfield
McMullan 
Fraser 
King
Stanton
Smith
Lyng

Strikers
McDonald
Keatings
Mikklesen 

The underlined players have been out injured long term.
Ideally we could punt at least half of that squad and not miss them. Especially the defence. Quinn, Mason, Slater, McDonald, and Lyng will all be gone and forgotten soon enough. Flood, Fyvie Fraser and Scott Fraser will probably be gone but would hope the two Frasers stay on. The club should go all out to keep them. 
Hopefully Robson, Murdoch, Keatings, Edgenguele and Toshney can be moved on. Not sure who is out of contract.
If all that happens that would leave us with 

Defence
Durnan
Scobbie
Ballntyne
Defensive Midfield  
Allardice
Fyvie
Gillespie
Attacking Midfield
Fraser
King
McMullan
Stanton
Smith

Strikers
N/A
That is a decent core for someone coming in to build on. Also should be a fair budget to bring in decent players complimented with loans id imagine. We need a big bruiser of a centre half, two competent full backs (I hear Keef Watson is leaving the Fermers). Midfield with the two Frasers would be fine with one more creative player as backup. One big striker / target man, one wee finisher type, McMullan and Smith can play up front too when needed. Im also assuming we will have two new keepers.

Just bored and having some flashbacks from yesterday.
Surely not Robson. He's in the papers today saying Utd are the best passing team in the league on their day. He must be on the venoms again

I would go for Stuart McCall tbh, I think he is the highest level of candidate we could realistically hope for, had a good record of recruitment at Motherwell whilst generating transfer revenue. Most importantly doesn’t hold 7 hour press conferences

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Again.

I'm not sure how high Neilson's stock is generally but he's currently out of work after getting bombed out of MK Dons. His track record currently stands at one success and one failure. He certainly won't get a good sized gig in England and we're still one of the biggest gigs in Scotland (albeit the lustre has dimmed significantly recently). Plenty of managers fall out of the game and never get back in so he might not be in a position to be too picky. Or he could have no interest whatsoever. I'd still ask.

In any event, I don't see Csaba coming back n from this. The direction of travel is currently wrong and we don't have the luxury of wasting a couple of years waiting for him to get his shit together.

Again.

Stuart Mccall
Jim Mcintyre
George Burley
Billy Davies
John Hughes
Alan Stubbs
Owen Coyle

Not saying they’d all want It but I’d rather them than Laszlo.

3 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Stuart Mccall
Jim Mcintyre
George Burley
Billy Davies
John Hughes
Alan Stubbs
Owen Coyle

Not saying they’d all want It but I’d rather them than Laszlo.

Yeah, i had brain fuzz and couldnt think of anyone earlier really.

Ive said stuart McCall previously and i would prefer him over anyone else. Did very well for a good few years at a club similar in size to us.

Wouldnt be against Jimmy Mac, Davies, Stubbs or even Burley.

After listening to a waffling mess of excuses and pish in a language resembling English, i dont think i could go for Hughes on that basis alone.

Im defintely 100% NO to Coyle. Ive never rated him as a manager.

What id say about Nielsen is that hes had a similar track record to Levien when he came to us, in that hes done well here, failed down south and would look at us as a stepping stone back up the way. Which is fine by me. 

Genuinely still would prefer McCall though. Better record up here imo.

The Livi manager Hopkin sets his teams up well. No square pegs in round holes, keeps it basic. Exactly what is needed in this division.

If it was Coyle or Hughes we'd be as well keeping Laszlo. Stubbs seems a bit of a fud as well.

Archived