Dundee United 2017/2018

32 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

How was the atmosphere in the stadium today? Was it clear that Lazlo has lost the fans? If so I think that will do for him, but I really don’t think it will be before the end of the season given what Martin has come out and said in the media.
I previously said I thought the jury was out on Lazlo, but thinking more and more about some of the decisions that have been made the last few months, I really don’t have any confidence in him and it would fill me with dread if we had him in charge next season.
I am certain there is a team good enough to be promoted in the legions of players that we have, but I have zero hope we can go up this term, which I guess says it all really.
I am astonished ralston didn’t start yesterday. I think Martin was the main factor behind that move and his signing was an example of the ‘dundee united style of recruitment’ that he wants to implement and the manager will have to operate with. If Lazlo doesn’t play ball, then that may make the chairman more axe happy.

I think the issue with Ralston yesterday was simply down to the fact he hadn't trained with the team. Tactically Laszlo got it badly wrong yesterday but I am willing to cut him slack for Ralston. Having Paul Quinn as a sitting midfielder at home to Inverness is pretty unforgivable, especially as we have at least three or four other better options in the position. Playing with such a defensive system in front of your home support is farcical. The crowd was way down yesterday and the atmosphere was poor. I assume the attendance on Tuesday will easily fall below 4000 and it wouldn't surprise me if was nearer to the 3000 mark.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I think the issue with Ralston yesterday was simply down to the fact he hadn't trained with the team. Tactically Laszlo got it badly wrong yesterday but I am willing to cut him slack for Ralston. Having Paul Quinn as a sitting midfielder at home to Inverness is pretty unforgivable, especially as we have at least three or four other better options in the position. Playing with such a defensive system in front of your home support is farcical. The crowd was way down yesterday and the atmosphere was poor. I assume the attendance on Tuesday will easily fall below 4000 and it wouldn't surprise me if was nearer to the 3000 mark.

Ralston not playing yesterday I can understand, although I will be pissed off if he doesn't play on Tuesday, given what a rotten right back Murdoch is. It might be an idea to try Murdoch in midfield, what with him being a midfielder. It's a crazy idea, but you never know.

The atmosphere yesterday wasn't bad as such, I have certainly heard more hostile crowds at Tannadice towards our own players. But one fan near me put it best when they scored - you don't get angry at United any more. It was so apathetic, which is a lot more worrying than anger.

If the new chairman does not recognise and interpret the cause of the apathy then the club under his stewardship will pay the price.

I cannot think of any Arab on here or IRL who thinks Laszlo is up to the task.  

Ralston not playing yesterday I can understand, although I will be pissed off if he doesn't play on Tuesday, given what a rotten right back Murdoch is. It might be an idea to try Murdoch in midfield, what with him being a midfielder. It's a crazy idea, but you never know.

The atmosphere yesterday wasn't bad as such, I have certainly heard more hostile crowds at Tannadice towards our own players. But one fan near me put it best when they scored - you don't get angry at United any more. It was so apathetic, which is a lot more worrying than anger.

Although I have reservations about Scobbie as an out and out fullback I would be happy for Laszlo to drop both Robson and Murdoch. If Ralston comes in and then either Edge or Mohsni can allow for Scobbie out left then I would be happy to try that out. Gillespie, Briels or Slater should be in for Quinn on Tuesday. There is also little doubt in my mind that there must be something to the Lewis loan agreement about his playing time agreement as he should have been dropped weeks ago but we persist with him in the goal. I suppose it doesn’t really matter who plays in the goal though, Laszlo’s systems invite pressure and we cannot deal with it.

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Although I have reservations about Scobbie as an out and out fullback I would be happy for Laszlo to drop both Robson and Murdoch. If Ralston comes in and then either Edge or Mohsni can allow for Scobbie out left then I would be happy to try that out. Gillespie, Briels or Slater should be in for Quinn on Tuesday. There is also little doubt in my mind that there must be something to the Lewis loan agreement about his playing time agreement as he should have been dropped weeks ago but we persist with him in the goal. I suppose it doesn’t really matter who plays in the goal though, Laszlo’s systems invite pressure and we cannot deal with it.

Completely agree with suggested defensive set up but it should be an attacking player in for Quinn with Stanton dropping back into midfield which I feel is his best position. 

We are going to end up employing John Hughes eventually, aren't we?

Worrying thing for me about atmosphere yesterday was a few minutes to go you could hear a pin drop. No one in crowd or team pushing to get the winning goal. Nobody can be fucked.

The reaction of the players to their goal summed it up for me , silent trudging back to centre circle. Given what went before to award the corner you would expect a bit of fire.

I'm not saying go and punch the linesman but certainly stand on his foot.

22 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Completely agree with suggested defensive set up but it should be an attacking player in for Quinn with Stanton dropping back into midfield which I feel is his best position. 

Absolutely this 100%.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Someone at the game yesterday got my hopes up by suggesting that Lewis would miss the next two games by being called up by England's under 21s. Sadly, it appears to be nonsense.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/15/england-u21s-squad-named-for-romania-and-ukraine-150318

I know England are fucked for goalkeepers, but I cannot believe they are that fucked that they'd need to call Harry Lewis up.

Csaba has to go and go asap. Either give Ellis a go till the end of the season or appoint someone who can look at the squad till the end of the season and rebuild.

Been thinking about next year (as this season is gone) This is the outfield squad built to fight for top spot this season... Its bloated with shite.

Defenders

Murdoch

Robson

Edge

Durnan

Quinn 

Mason

Ballantyne

Toshney (remember him?)

Scobbie

Ralston

Defensive Midfielders.

Allardice

Slater

Gillespie

Flood

Briels (remember him?)

Fyvie

Attacking midfield

McMullan 

Fraser 

King

Stanton

Smith

Lyng

Strikers

McDonald

Keatings

Mikklesen 

The underlined players have been out injured long term.

Ideally we could punt at least half of that squad and not miss them. Especially the defence. Quinn, Mason, Slater, McDonald, and Lyng will all be gone and forgotten soon enough. Flood, Fyvie Fraser and Scott Fraser will probably be gone but would hope the two Frasers stay on. The club should go all out to keep them. 

Hopefully Robson, Murdoch, Keatings, Edgenguele and Toshney can be moved on. Not sure who is out of contract.

If all that happens that would leave us with 

Defence

Durnan

Scobbie

Ballntyne

Defensive Midfield  

Allardice

Fyvie

Gillespie

Attacking Midfield

Fraser

King

McMullan

Stanton

Smith

Strikers

N/A

That is a decent core for someone coming in to build on. Also should be a fair budget to bring in decent players complimented with loans id imagine. We need a big bruiser of a centre half, two competent full backs (I hear Keef Watson is leaving the Fermers). Midfield with the two Frasers would be fine with one more creative player as backup. One big striker / target man, one wee finisher type, McMullan and Smith can play up front too when needed. Im also assuming we will have two new keepers.

Just bored and having some flashbacks from yesterday.

29 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Csaba has to go and go asap. Either give Ellis a go till the end of the season or appoint someone who can look at the squad till the end of the season and rebuild.

Been thinking about next year (as this season is gone) This is the outfield squad built to fight for top spot this season... Its bloated with shite.

Defenders

Murdoch

Robson

Edge

Durnan

Quinn 

Mason

Ballantyne

Toshney (remember him?)

Scobbie

Ralston

Defensive Midfielders.

Allardice

Slater

Gillespie

Flood

Briels (remember him?)

Fyvie

Attacking midfield

McMullan 

Fraser 

King

Stanton

Smith

Lyng

Strikers

McDonald

Keatings

Mikklesen 

The underlined players have been out injured long term.

Ideally we could punt at least half of that squad and not miss them. Especially the defence. Quinn, Mason, Slater, McDonald, and Lyng will all be gone and forgotten soon enough. Flood, Fyvie Fraser and Scott Fraser will probably be gone but would hope the two Frasers stay on. The club should go all out to keep them. 

Hopefully Robson, Murdoch, Keatings, Edgenguele and Toshney can be moved on. Not sure who is out of contract.

If all that happens that would leave us with 

Defence

Durnan

Scobbie

Ballntyne

Defensive Midfield  

Allardice

Fyvie

Gillespie

Attacking Midfield

Fraser

King

McMullan

Stanton

Smith

Strikers

N/A

That is a decent core for someone coming in to build on. Also should be a fair budget to bring in decent players complimented with loans id imagine. We need a big bruiser of a centre half, two competent full backs (I hear Keef Watson is leaving the Fermers). Midfield with the two Frasers would be fine with one more creative player as backup. One big striker / target man, one wee finisher type, McMullan and Smith can play up front too when needed. Im also assuming we will have two new keepers.

Just bored and having some flashbacks from yesterday.

PTSD should not be discounted.  :(

PS agree with all you say.

8 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Agreed, and have no issues with Ralston not playing yesterday; not starting him on Tuesday, after a few days training with the team would be cockwomblery of the highest order, and I think any remaining Arabs on his side would come to realise he’s just fucking lost it!

As for atmos, from where I was it was nowhere near as bad as it has been, and there was even a bit of singing in the second half. Now that Thomson is away, it will take a bit of time for us to really focus on who’se fault it is now, but to be fair Shabba is in the crosshairs at the moment.

A few wins would make a huge difference. It always does. Perhaps Tuesday will be the start of that. (Probably not):unsure2:

Ralston must play on Tuesday I can’t bring myself to sit and watch murdoch play there for another 90 mins, id also play edge instead of robson who I just tbh really really canna stand, so my team would be
Lewis
Ralston durnan edge scobbie
King flood stanton McMullan
Phil Mcdonald

4-4-2 Tuesday pls, we were much much better in second half

15 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

No chance Fraser will stay on, he’ll be gone at the end of the season.

Sack Shabba now and give Ellis it till end of the season. If shabba does stay on though and we don’t go up, then we shouldn’t make the same mistake as last season.

Ellis didn’t want the job last time around though I think he would get more out of the players for the rest of the season than Laszlo will.  That said Martin is not going to make that change however bad things are or continue to get.

I agree about Fraser, he will be off.  We can comment about ‘loyalty’ but I can’t blame him for wanting away from this shambles.  Sadly I can’t  see us holding on to Fyvie either.

Archived