Dundee United 2017/2018

Guest Patter Is Like Water
We feel the same under Jack. He has plans to improve the squad which started with Livi's top scorer Danny Mullen who cannot get into our team due to Morgan, Reilly and Smith. 5 of the top scorers from the top 14 are Buddies. Utd have 1. Who knows you may very well win the League but you wont run away with it. But my money is on the team with the multiple goalscorers.
So what, Dunfermline have 4 goalscorers in the top 14 but look where they are in the league. We have a lot of goals shared throughout our team and don't need to rely on scoring a lot in one game because our defence don't concede many. We have McMullan and Keatings who have started most weeks on our bench who would most likely be in your starting eleven so we have options there too. One team won't run away with it like last season as both teams seem to have a bit of consistency about them and I reckon it will come down to the team to who can avoid the most injuries to key players.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Patter Is Like Water said:
3 hours ago, NorthBank said:
We feel the same under Jack. He has plans to improve the squad which started with Livi's top scorer Danny Mullen who cannot get into our team due to Morgan, Reilly and Smith. 5 of the top scorers from the top 14 are Buddies. Utd have 1. Who knows you may very well win the League but you wont run away with it. But my money is on the team with the multiple goalscorers.

So what, Dunfermline have 4 goalscorers in the top 14 but look where they are in the league. We have a lot of goals shared throughout our team and don't need to rely on scoring a lot in one game because our defence don't concede many. We have McMullan and Keatings who have started most weeks on our bench who would most likely be in your starting eleven so we have options there too. One team won't run away with it like last season as both teams seem to have a bit of consistency about them and I reckon it will come down to the team to who can avoid the most injuries to key players.

I hope fans of other clubs will understand why Arabs will view this season in a pre-McKinnon and post-McKinnon context.

I've already pointed out that we have taken 19 points out of a possible 21 in the seven games since Ray left.

In these seven games we've scored 15 league goals and conceded 3; St Mirren, by comparison, have scored 11 and conceded 8.

I hope fans of other clubs will understand why Arabs will view this season in a pre-McKinnon and post-McKinnon context.
I've already pointed out that we have taken 19 points out of a possible 21 in the seven games since Ray left.
In these seven games we've scored 15 league goals and conceded 3; St Mirren, by comparison, have scored 11 and conceded 8.

Exactly, the team is completely different to that at the start of the season. St.Mirren have the ability to score many goals but thet never looked too clever against us the last time we played where we we actually had a manager who can organise a team defensively and still attack with plenty of purpose. I think it'll be a close game and think we may struggle in the middle of the park with Fyvie out but we will have to match their energy and track back to mark their danger men, if we do we should take at least a point from this game

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This. 

I think a lot of fans of other clubs do understand this, and there are many sensible posts from them offering well informed opinions on our league title chances based upon what they have actually seen. However others choose not to agree for a variety of reasons, which is fair enough.

Under Csaba we are night and fucking day compared to when Ray was in charge, not just in terms of results but in performances. In every game (including against The Maureens at Tannadice) we have utterly dominated in every department, and the final score has flattered the opposition. We are clearly expecting to strengthen in January as well.

It is for this reason that I (along with every other Arab on PnB) am amusing other posters with my hilarious overconfidence in our ability to take the title.

Unless anything changes dramatically for the worst, I cannot see us not winning this league. End of. 8) 

1 hour ago, Patter Is Like Water said:
4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Oooh I have to disagree with that. McMullan before Morgan or Magennis? No chance. And Keatings before Reilly or Smith? Again no. I think it will go to the wire for the Championship but obviously you Arabs think it will be a stroll. Time will tell. Fri night may provide some further indication on how how things will pan out.

Oooh I have to disagree with that. McMullan before Morgan or Magennis? No chance. And Keatings before Reilly or Smith? Again no. I think it will go to the wire for the Championship but obviously you Arabs think it will be a stroll. Time will tell. Fri night may provide some further indication on how how things will pan out.
Not Morgan no but when Keatings and Mcmullan are on form, they would hands down be in front of the names you mentioned. Even if we are beat on Friday, I'm not particularly worried because we have been extremely poor for the majority of this season yet we are still 2 points off the top with a game in hand. This team has now finally got a winning mentality who are dominating matches, playing good football and becoming ruthless in front of goal and in defence. The difference is night and day as has been mentioned before and I think teams are only now wakening up to what Shabba has brought in his short time.

18 minutes ago, Patter Is Like Water said:
35 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Not Morgan no but when Keatings and Mcmullan are on form, they would hands down be in front of the names you mentioned. Even if we are beat on Friday, I'm not particularly worried because we have been extremely poor for the majority of this season yet we are still 2 points off the top with a game in hand. This team has now finally got a winning mentality who are dominating matches, playing good football and becoming ruthless in front of goal and in defence. The difference is night and day as has been mentioned before and I think teams are only now wakening up to what Shabba has brought in his short time.

We'll have to disagree about the players. Reilly and Smith are 2 and 3 in the scoring charts behind Dobbie. McMullan comes in at number 20 and Keatings does not even make the top 20. We signed Danny Mullan as a bench warmer and even he is above Keatings and McMullan as is McShane and Morgan. I appreciate that you may be a far better team now than you were under Ray however some of you guys may be getting a wee bit too carried away. This is a two horse race - Utd will not run away with it.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We'll have to disagree about the players. Reilly and Smith are 2 and 3 in the scoring charts behind Dobbie. McMullan comes in at number 20 and Keatings does not even make the top 20. We signed Danny Mullan as a bench warmer and even he is above Keatings and McMullan as is McShane and Morgan. I appreciate that you may be a far better team now than you were under Ray however some of you guys may be getting a wee bit too carried away. This is a two horse race - Utd will not run away with it.

Tbf I can't see many Arabs saying we are going to stroll the league (yet).

Based on recent developments there is much more confidence amongst us that we have what it takes now to win the league.

We don't have to stroll it, just win it, and I reckon that's what we think we'll do, whether by 1 goal or 10 points.

Taking nothing for granted but just stating opinion. 

Keatings has been carrying an injury all season for one, on form we all know what he can provide going by the past few seasons at this level and mcmullan is just coming back into the team and starting to return to form (like many of our better players) who has missed some glorious chances already and should ewally have more goals, he causes defences so many problems.

They've scored plenty of goals for you and Ross has you playing well but you're also conceding many too which we aren't atm due to us defending from the front.

I think you're a bit delusional about your own players there, actually laughable, all those were completely anonymous at Tannadice last time we played each other.

5 hours ago, stumigoo said:

This St.Mirren team can score goals, we know that, but on the opposite of that the same could also be said for the team who concedes the fewest. We have a superior defensive record with more clean sheets and fewer goals conceded which may be telling over the course of a full season. 

All talk of what the bairn got for his Christmas is suspended Stu.

after Friday we can resume normal niceties :thumsup2

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Considering the money spent, United should be streets ahead. The team is chocka with young talent and ex premiership big boys. It would be an utter red face should they finish the season top of the league with anything less than a 9 point gap.

Nice backtracking, very cleverly done.

FWIW I don’t think we spent much assembling this squad though they will be on a decent wage.  

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Considering the money spent, United should be streets ahead. The team is chocka with young talent and ex premiership big boys. It would be an utter red face should they finish the season top of the league with anything less than a 9 point gap.

Disagree. If the winning margin is less than 9 points then it'll be because St Mirren have been outstanding. We can only win every game we play but there's not much we can do if Saints match, or almost match, that.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Who is back tracking, from the very start I have said this league is United's to lose.

And interestingly, it's looking like they are doing that very thing. 

Now that’s just trolling.  Shame on you.

9 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Seriously guys, are you defending the performances under McKinnon?

Come on BM, that's shite.... anything anyone is saying here about not losing the league has f**k all to do with performances under Ray, and everything to do with performances under Csaba, and considering it is Csaba who is going to be in charge between now and the end of the season, it is this that matters.

DUFC have taken the necessary steps (just in time imo) to ensure we don't lose the league.

If you look at this thread in any detail, you will not see many sensible posters defending the indefensible performances we had under Ray.

1 minute ago, MacArab said:

Come on BM, that's shite.... anything anyone is saying here about not losing the league has f**k all to do with performances under Ray, and everything to do with performances under Csaba, and considering it is Csaba who is going to be in charge between now and the end of the season, it is this that matters.

Spoiler

21mqki.jpg

Archived