Dundee United 2017/2018

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

You're still going to win the league, calm down.

Genuinely cannot see that happening unless we go baws out in January (which given the board's desperation we still might). If we stuck with what we've got I think we would finish 2nd or 3rd behind St.Mirren and/or Dunfermline.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said it multiple times (and will say it again) that for me the biggest failing in Stephen Thompson has been his recruitment of managers. The infrastructure of the club has been on the decline since Levein left and Thompson gave McNamara the same carte blanche powers which was a fatal error. Not sacking him earlier was stupid and then his appointment of Mixu on such a big contract was bizarre. I have a lot of time for McKinnon in the sense that he has worked hard to try and ensure a good structure for the players (Darren Taylor's role for example) but he is a limited manager and it is beginning to cost us. I'm really not sure what is next for us but I worry that given Thompson's track record we may make another mistake in appointing the wrong manager. I'd still like to think that as things stand the United job is still a reasonably attractive one (good challenge, pretty big club with decent fanbase and good facilities) but not sure how long that will remain the case.

God I wish people would stop referencing Jackie, it’s pointless - in the past. We are where we are an need to move forward, it’s about now - the present. McKinnon isn’t good enough, end of.

Going “baws out” in January is solving nothing (unless you’re talking about a change of manager). The squad is there to challenge.

God I wish people would stop referencing Jackie, it’s pointless - in the past. We are where we are an need to move forward, it’s about now - the present. McKinnon isn’t good enough, end of.

Going “baws out” in January is solving nothing (unless you’re talking about a change of manager). The squad is there to challenge.

I’m commenting on Thompson’s record of management so please tell me how I can do this without referring to McNamara?

I’m commenting on Thompson’s record of management so please tell me how I can do this without referring to McNamara?

Like I’ve said, constant references to what’s been and gone is as pointless as it is ludicrous to suggest more money needs spent on the team in January.

Like I’ve said, constant references to what’s been and gone is as pointless as it is ludicrous to suggest more money needs spent on the team in January.

Again I was making a general comment on Stephen Thompson. I didn’t say we needed to spend more money. I said we might because the board are desperate.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Or spent an extra £100k getting Tommy Wright

RandomGuy, do you not remember?  The official line was it had nothing to do with having to pay a reasonably hefty compensation package to get Tommy Wright.  Mixu was the number one choice all along :lol:

40 minutes ago, GrantB878 said:

Change of manager is the priority but we still need a big target man who can receive the ball and hold it whilst others come into play, that would allow a tactical option that simply doesn't exist at present and won't exist whoever the manager is.

McMillan deal won't be happening till January it seems. He wants to go full time, but his contract runs out in October so we can't sign him on a free till January. So would have to pay a fee, seems we'll wait to January.

In the papers that we're also planning a move for McMillan in January.

On 20 October 2017 at 16:08, GrantB878 said:

1 hour ago, GrantB878 said:

May have a point, sadly.

Is it still 'ludicrous' to suggest we need better players?

1 hour ago, GrantB878 said:

May have a point, sadly.

No he doesn't, we have skill within that squad just no one to organise them and get the best out of them.

There are weaknesses in the squad and we could do with bringing in a target man, we also desperately need a leader on the park.  That aside we shouldn't denegrate the squad.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No he doesn't, we have skill within that squad just no one to organise them and get the best out of them.

There are weaknesses in the squad and we could do with bringing in a target man, we also desperately need a leader on the park.  That aside we shouldn't denegrate the squad.

A target man, another wide player and two decent fullbacks if I had my wishes. 

Just now, stumigoo said:

A target man, another wide player and two decent fullbacks if I had my wishes. 

I'd agree but I also think we have decent players in the squad.  Scott McDonald was desperate to have someone to play off of today.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'd agree but I also think we have decent players in the squad.  Scott McDonald was desperate to have someone to play off of today.

We do, and it would depend on what kind of system a new manager wants to play but one or two good additions are still needed. 

Archived