Dundee United 2017/2018

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Alex Ferguson had a poor first season with Man Utd.

I feel we are on the cusp of greatness.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure Fergie has some success before Man Utd.  Can’t remember exactly where or what though.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure Fergie has some success before Man Utd.  Can’t remember exactly where or what though.

Think he did quite well at St Mirren

3 minutes ago, Beardy23 said:

Think he did quite well at St Mirren

Best St Mirren team I ever saw. Best times I enjoyed. Mind you, I was young, and it was the days of sneaking a can of cheap lager into games down your socks, covered by flared jeans, before heading to the Glasgow Apollo after the game to see AC/DC with Bon Scott, or prime-time Thin Lizzy.

Happy days.

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Did you ever get the JUDAS permanent marker off your bedsheet?

Your missus must have been fizzing.

She quite likes it, hates the DAB's as well*.

*no brainwashing techniques were involved. Thank you.

Seriously though, surely if Thompson was still in charge, he'd have bulleted Csaba. What is this Martin guy doing?!

A lot of us are assuming that it's too expensive to sack Laszlo before the end of the season, so the board are just laying low until the season ends.

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

She quite likes it, hates the DAB's as well*.

*no brainwashing techniques were involved. Thank you.

I always found her very friendly.

1 hour ago, MeadowArab said:

A lot of us are assuming that it's too expensive to sack Laszlo before the end of the season, so the board are just laying low until the season ends.

There's supposedly a clause where he gets booted for nowt as soon as promotion is officially not happening.

9 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

There's supposedly a clause where he gets booted for nowt as soon as promotion is officially not happening.

That's just speculation on the internet. I doubt ST would have been so astute.

If Laszlo does have a non-promotion clause then there is a chance that we will not find out he is leaving until early May if we make the playoffs. I know it might be more expensive to get rid of him now but if they drag it out then they are going to take a hit on season tickets and the mood amongst the fans is going to get even worse. Looking at our final few games I think we could be on to a few hidings to be honest - St Mirren, Falkirk, Queen of the South and Livingston. Given our current form and performances then I wouldn't be surprised if we lost at least three of those games.

The other problem with waiting for so long until we make a decision about the manager is out of contract players at other clubs who we might want to target. If we don't get a new manager until the start of June then those out of contract at other teams who are of value will have already signed for other clubs and the new manager will have a smaller number of potential players to look at. 

13 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

If Laszlo does have a non-promotion clause then there is a chance that we will not find out he is leaving until early May if we make the playoffs. I know it might be more expensive to get rid of him now but if they drag it out then they are going to take a hit on season tickets and the mood amongst the fans is going to get even worse. Looking at our final few games I think we could be on to a few hidings to be honest - St Mirren, Falkirk, Queen of the South and Livingston. Given our current form and performances then I wouldn't be surprised if we lost at least three of those games.

The other problem with waiting for so long until we make a decision about the manager is out of contract players at other clubs who we might want to target. If we don't get a new manager until the start of June then those out of contract at other teams who are of value will have already signed for other clubs and the new manager will have a smaller number of potential players to look at. 

As you say, the board may not want to act right now as it will cost to punt. That, for arguments sake, could be funds given to the manager they may have lined up. Who may have players lined up.

Fans will buy season tickets if we get a decent manager in who recruits well and with the player departures we have there should be a decent budget to get promoted.

But that would suggest future planning and organisation from the Board. I know. Stupid to expect that.

There is also the rumour going about that the club is about to be bought over by one of the soft loan guys - Brothwick i think hes called. Bought a $14m hoose in NYC. If there is any sort of truth to that then they may well be waiting till he's in charge to make any moves.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

Does she know you;re a DAB?  You don't wear your United scarf in bed or anything?

That’s information that only Mrs Biggie and I are privileged to.

34 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

As you say, the board may not want to act right now as it will cost to punt. That, for arguments sake, could be funds given to the manager they may have lined up. Who may have players lined up.

Fans will buy season tickets if we get a decent manager in who recruits well and with the player departures we have there should be a decent budget to get promoted.

But that would suggest future planning and organisation from the Board. I know. Stupid to expect that.

There is also the rumour going about that the club is about to be bought over by one of the soft loan guys - Brothwick i think hes called. Bought a $14m hoose in NYC. If there is any sort of truth to that then they may well be waiting till he's in charge to make any moves.

If there is any truth in the rumour, and I’m very sceptical, I reckon he will already be having a say in what is happening.

Archived