Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69

It’s similar to last season we were top of the league at the turn of the year then completely fell away .

cant see anything else but the play offs again 

1 hour ago, dregs 83 said:

Unusually for a rival fan on this thread you're fair and accurate in you're assessment of the situation.
In terms of ability, with Fyvie and Fraser in the team I think our two squads are neck and neck, maybe with us having a slight edge; both are reliant on a small band of good players.
Without our two best players we've lost any spark or creativity and the ability to boss games. you saw the difference in the 2-0 game where we were probably marginally better in the first half, should have been 1 up at half time with the penalty, then Morgan won the game in the second half with two long range shots.
I still don't think there is a massive difference between the teams, and if we won our game in hand and the game at tannadice we would be two points behind, therefore it would be unwise to think the title was 100% won or lost.
However the reason why I think you will win it is our mental fragility, unless we go in with a half time lead we don't look like we believe we can win a game. Whereas you look like you have the ability and belief to come from behind (queens game) and win comfortably even when you're not at your best (going by radio commentary this seemed to be the case yesterday).
Hope I'm wrong and think I still could be, but at the moment or best hope looks like a long term injury to Morgan and or mcginn.

We were actually very impressive for most of the game yesterday. It wouldn't have flattered us if we'd won 4 or 5 -0 yesterday.

We may not have been at our "best", but going by recent performances from other teams against us, we'd have won against any other team in the league. 

However, as stated earlier, like yourselves we're only one injury away from being denied a vital player in our team.

The good news is for us, that two of the players we're signing next week are of the quality to further enhance an already confident, mentally strong team, who have opened a significant gap at the top of the table.

However, having said all that, it's not the St.Mirren way to do things in an easy manner, and I'm sure things won't go as smoothly as we'd like.

1 minute ago, ArabianKnight said:

Ballantyne will get the full match on Saturday to prove himself.

All the thuds moaning he hasn't got a chance yet. I wouldn't be chucking a young guy just back from a loan spell straight into the high pressure games 

It is clear that Laszlo favours experience when possible. I was a little disappointed that Ballantyne didn't maybe get the second half at Falkirk given who obvious it was that Robson and Mason were struggling. I had no problem with Flood playing yesterday but again thought that Ballantyne might have been brought on when Stanton went off to allow Flood back into the middle. 

Personally I think the league is pretty much over. It might seems pessimistic but I think that the St.Mirren team is currently stronger than ours and we seem to struggle when the pressure is on. They have enough of a gap that they can play with a bit more confidence and I don't have the faith in our players that they will rise to the challenge of catching the Saints. 

If the board are as desperate as we think they are then we might yet see two or three more additions and we really do need them (especially in the forward areas). Our defence will not cost us the league IMO it will be the lack of cutting edge and ability to turn games like yesterday into wins. 

49 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

It is clear that Laszlo favours experience when possible. I was a little disappointed that Ballantyne didn't maybe get the second half at Falkirk given who obvious it was that Robson and Mason were struggling. I had no problem with Flood playing yesterday but again thought that Ballantyne might have been brought on when Stanton went off to allow Flood back into the middle. 

Personally I think the league is pretty much over. It might seems pessimistic but I think that the St.Mirren team is currently stronger than ours and we seem to struggle when the pressure is on. They have enough of a gap that they can play with a bit more confidence and I don't have the faith in our players that they will rise to the challenge of catching the Saints. 

If the board are as desperate as we think they are then we might yet see two or three more additions and we really do need them (especially in the forward areas). Our defence will not cost us the league IMO it will be the lack of cutting edge and ability to turn games like yesterday into wins. 

We do need a "premiership" quality attacking midfielder and or a better winger than McMullan.

Even a solid defensive mid that can link up the defense to the forwards instead of lumping it up would be handy. 

Just now, ArabianKnight said:

We do need a "premiership" quality attacking midfielder and or a better winger than McMullan.

Even a solid defensive mid that can link up the defense to the forwards instead of lumping it up would be handy. 

I thought Slater played quite well yesterday. If Stanton, Flood and Slater are all fit then that might be enough but we desperately need an attacking midfielder, a winger and ideally another striker as we clearly cannot rely on Keatings to remain fit (and he has turned out to be a bit of a dud so far). 

10 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I thought Slater played quite well yesterday. If Stanton, Flood and Slater are all fit then that might be enough but we desperately need an attacking midfielder, a winger and ideally another striker as we clearly cannot rely on Keatings to remain fit (and he has turned out to be a bit of a dud so far). 

Yup. I've totally written Keatings off which is a shame as I thought he would be in his element in this team. He can't go in the huff if he's not the main man when he can't keep himself fit!

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Hopefully the Premiership break ends soon so my eyes don't have to read such shite drivel from our neighbours.

I find the best way to get rid of United posters on the Dundee thread is for Dundee to go on a winning run.  I guess a winning run by United is all it would take.  Can’t be that difficult to do surely?

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I too believe that our team is stronger. We also have had some crucial long-term injuries but ours were at the start of the season and we still kept pace.  These guys are now returning.

The recent return of Harry Davis has been significant and is the best central defender in this League. The defence has suddenly seemed a hell of a lot less porous and Harry's experience and calmness has given a degree of confidence to a back four that on occasion previously could be all over the place. And Harry has also taken a lot of responsibility off Captain McGinn which has improved his game. MacKenzie has now returned from injury and cannot get into the team after being a first pick.  Kyle Magennis is now back after also being out since the start of the season and his dig and energy have also been crucial in the midfield. Gary Irvine has also just returned from a long injury and can't get in the team and Josh Todd should be back soon after looking good before his injury. It's like signing 5 more players.

We now have a strong bench and cover in most positions. And this week will see us signing two more players (probably Monday) who will undoubtedly strengthen the squad (in addition to Danny Mullen). There may even be a third coming in before the end of the month. (We have had 8 out - a normal January for Jack).

I do not think the race is over, far from it, however I reckon we now have the best squad and a belief we can do it. Last season's relegation battle taught the team a lot about playing under pressure and that has been a big factor in some recent games I reckon. But this is St Mirren and we rarely do things the easy way.

Surely Utd fans don't believe this league is over. I'm like majority of saints supporters don't believe it's over. I still think anyone can't beat anyone in the league. You've got a game in hand and we still need to visit you at home. League is far from over albeit I'd still rather have the points in the bag right now.

Agree. Saints have exceeded expectations and could easy hit a bad patch. United could easily go on a run. I’d rather be in Saints’ position though, as you’ve said.

If saints do win the league Jack Ross will likely be off in the summer. Bummer.

41 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Agree. Saints have exceeded expectations and could easy hit a bad patch. United could easily go on a run. I’d rather be in Saints’ position though, as you’ve said.

If saints do win the league Jack Ross will likely be off in the summer. Bummer.

No he won't, i'm quite confident about that. However, if he has a really good season back in the Premier then we might have a fight on our hands to keep him.Jack is an intelligent man, he knows that he's got it good at St Mirren... Good relationship with the Board, players and the fans and he had 2 good years as a player so there's that bond too. I think old firm apart it would have to be down south to tempt him.

Archived